Author Topic: I did it! Surgery was Monday...  (Read 6994 times)

Dolwin

Re: I did it! Surgery was Monday...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 10:07:29 am »
Great news so far, Leslie!  I hope your recovery continues to go well and your strength and equilibrium return quickly as well!

I'm getting closer to setting the date for my own surgery soon, next meeting with what will hopefully be my neurosurgeon is 8/8.  Nervous, but reading stories like yours are definitely helping to keep me calmer.
1.4 x 1.7 x 1.2 cm AN diagnosed 6/11.  8% hearing left in right ear.  RetroSig surgery set for 8/25.

ksiwek

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »
Hooray!  Congrats on such wonderful news!  I am so happy to hear about a 3 hours surgery...that has to be one of the shortest operative times!  The PT folks at HEI are fantastic.  I remember the first time they had me get up on Day 3...I was so out of sorts I was very thankful to be 'leashed' ;D

The steroid sleeplessness will ease up...especially as you taper off.  Dr Stefan gave me a very low dose sleeping aid that I used a couple of times while at Seton after discharge.  It helped me get a few four hour stretches of sleep.  By week 3, you will be sleeping like a baby as your brain and body heal.  I slept for 10-12 hours a night for a few weeks once the steroids wore off...

Again, the news of your recovery is just awesome!  Keep us updated and take it easy!  Your body will tell you when its ready to do more!

Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Lesliegc

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 09:37:49 am »
Thank you thank you! Today i 'washed' my hair (ok, some of my hair). Amazing how the little things help.later today mom and I are moving to a hotel, which feels like Christmas to me, I'm so excited. I'm still not sleeping more than 4 hours a night, but I'm going to request a sleeping pill when I call in to the clinic today, it's probably a good idea. I'm looking forward to those 10 hour stretches of sleep....that sounds like heaven to me! What an experience....I feel lucky to have been able to read about your journey (MUCH harder, makes mine seem a breeze; my kids are teens) and everyone else's...perspective is everything in this world, isn't it? I bet if you ever doubt yourself all you have to do is look back, see what you got yourself through, and give yourself a huge pat on the back. Blesssings to you, thank you for the response. :) Leslie
4mmx9mm  right side
diagnosed 6/11/11
middle fossa  7/25/11 at HEI
developed chronic headaches at 5 months post op

ksiwek

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 10:30:05 am »
Leslie!

Again, it sounds like you are doing great!  I just had to comment back about the hair washing!  I was sooo paranoid about keeping my incision intact, etc that I had my mom wash my hair the first few times  ;D  It seemed to take forever to get all of the neosporin out of it!  It does help the mood to not have such a greasy head, doesn't it!?!

Yes, managing the post op with a newborn was so difficult in so many ways.  However, he gave me the hope and strength to crawl out of bed in the morning and meet the day...any new parent is tired...but doing it after brain surgery is off the charts!  So thankful for my mom and husband who allowed me the time to rest, heal, and rest some more!

If you need any emotional support these next few weeks and months (or ever), do not hesitate to send me a message and I can pass along my phone number.  I am 14 months post op now and I still love connecting with AN folks via phone or in person.  It makes the journey a lot less lonely :) and it is nice to be understood by people who 'get it'. 

I hope that you will get some more sleep soon!  I had very, very crazy dreams from the steroids, too.  I didn't realize that they could mess with your mind that much during sleep!  That too passed very quickly!

Enjoy the transfer to your hotel and enjoy yours walks in a new place!  That will be a nice change of pace and will help you to feel more normal!

Wishing you all the best in your continued recovery!
Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)