Author Topic: New member, questons  (Read 6645 times)

antonietta

New member, questons
« on: July 01, 2012, 02:13:06 pm »
I just wanted to say “hi” to everyone and ask a few questions.
My story in short first.
I joined ANA because the site gave me the only useful information I found on the network without scaring me too much. Read some posts has been very helpful for me, thank to all and to ANA.
I’m Italian, 34 years old, living in Spain and I have an AN of 3,5x3 cm. I will have surgery in the Clinic Hospital in Barcelona, retro sigmoid approach.
I wanted to know much the facial paralysis is visible and the medium time of recovery from it. And if the facial nerve is affected, what are the chances of having your face back with plastic surgery?
Another question… there is anyone that faced the surgery while breastfeeding a baby? I have a 9 months baby and I’m still breastfeeding him, I wanted to ask if anyone have some experience on this.
Thank you very much!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New member, questons
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 03:46:14 pm »
Hello, Antonietta ~

Thanks for visiting the ANA website and submitting your question to our members. 

The Hospital Clinic of Barcelona (Spain) has a good reputation.  The Retrosigmoid approach to AN surgery is very common and usually successful. There are various degrees of post-op facial paralysis that range from barely visible to very visible.  However, post-operative facial paralysis is not guaranteed but if it occurs, it is often temporary.  If not, there are operations available to help correct the deficits but they are not generally considered 'plastic surgery'. My guess is that breastfeeding your baby post-surgery will not be a problem but I'm not a doctor or female so I'm unable to answer your question with any credibility but I'm sure some of our female members will soon respond.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

antonietta

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:29:19 am »
Thanks Jim, I'll wait!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:28:58 pm »
Antoinetta,

Welcome Antoinetta! I am not a female but am sure that no Doctor would suggest being on pain meds and breastfeeding at the same time, in fact, I would say that he or she would dissuade you from breastfeeding for a period of time well after you are off your pain meds.

If you know anything about how the circulatory system works pain meds given by mouth or given intravenously take a while to completely come out of the bloodstream. As such, any drugs (including aspirin! in fact that is why drinking alchohol or smoking is frowned upon by women who are actively breastfeeding) given to you will be breastfed to your baby!

If you do not want to bottlefeed, you should see about a wet nurse, women who are breast feeding babies themselves. In America, you can contact La Leche League. There must be an equivalent in Spain,  I'm sure.

Mike

P.S. You should check in all cases with your Doctors and other women on the ANA forum.
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Brewers7

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 12:43:03 pm »
Antoinetta,
It seems that most people are on pain meds and/or antibiotics for a period of time after surgery.  Some are also on steroids.  I was also on Gabapentin for a while.  I suspect that breast feeding would not be advisable because of the medications, but you should, of course, discuss this with your gynecologist and/or pediatrician.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 02:13:27 pm »
Antoinetta,     You will be on drugs for a time during surgery and post op.  It sounds like one could ideally pump the milk out during that time period but you will not be feeling like doing that day and night immediately post op for several days.  This could make you feel even more uncomfortable if you could not pump and you will be engorged.                 You can talk to your drs but you have to think how you will be doing also.  Even once home and napping alot at first make make you not want to be breast feeding also.                  I know it would be hard to have to quit when you are not ready to yet but taking good care of yourself will be important too after surgery.       Plus you will need to have your little one able to be bottle fed for a time pre op so he/she takes a bottle well and you have got yourself down to no milk.                      A male dr may not really understand this all what nursing entails!
    I wish you well with how it all goes for you and I am not sure if there has been another gal here who did go thru this and was able to keep it up.    Many of us here are older and post baby time.                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cindyswart

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »
HI there, Just needed to chime in- I was a breastfeeding Mom, so I understand how important this is!! I was on something strong for only two days before I geared it down to Tylenol. The hospital stay was a week and I can say that three of those days at least would have been really hard for holding and breastfeeding a nine month old. Having a breast feeding advocate with you could possibly make this happen more easily. Of course, this will all depend on what meds you doctor has you on for your recovery. I was off all meds within a few days, blessed!
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

antonietta

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:14:24 am »
Thanks to all, you are wonderful.
I understand that will be very hard and depending on drugs I will take I could be not possilbe to go on breastfeeding my child.
I will try anyway, I will tell you what will happen.
I have already a date for the surgery, it will be the 2nd of agoust.
My baby is 10 months old, I've tried with bottle and it will not be a problem because he seams to like it (even if he prefer his mum breasts). I hope everything will be ok...
Thanks!

anto

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 07:31:46 am »
Thanks to all, you are wonderful.
I understand that will be very hard and depending on drugs I will take I could be not possilbe to go on breastfeeding my child.
I will try anyway, I will tell you what will happen.
I have already a date for the surgery, it will be the 2nd of agoust.
My baby is 10 months old, I've tried with bottle and it will not be a problem because he seams to like it (even if he prefer his mum breasts). I hope everything will be ok...
Thanks!

anto

Just wanted to wish you good luck on the 2nd it is a special day that is my grandsons birthday and know that you will be fine....Some people afterwards do not require any medications but the medication given for the surgery and possible steroids have you asked the doctors about that if if would effect your breast feeding ??.

Best Wishes,
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:24:14 pm by Jim Scott »
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

It is what it is

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 07:24:44 pm »
My thoughts and prayers will be with you.  My surgery is on 8/1 but my kids are raised.  My heart goes out to you!

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 12:41:13 am »
A suggestion from my wife...
Start building up a supply in the freezer.
While you are in hospital continue to express milk. The milk may need to be discarded due to the medication.
But your supply should be normal when you return home, and the expressed milk towards the end of your stay might be able to be used also.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

antonietta

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 02:12:42 am »
Guys, thanks to all for your advices.
I'm already home, everything was fine, they left a little of tumor inside as it was dangerous to remove it completely. I only have little facial weekness (mouth basically) but I can blink mi eyes and do everything. I'm no in pain, so no meds required only some specific for the operation.
I've been able to put plenty of my milk in the freezer and now I'm trying to breastfeeding again.
I¡m happy, even if emotions are strong in this cases and sometimes I need to cry :)
Thank you so much

It is what it is

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 02:25:16 am »
Congratulations on your successful surgery.  I'm glad to hear you are already home.  My surgery on 8/1 also left some some small tumor on the facial nerve.  Otherwise all went well. 

Are you having any balance/vestibular issues?  How about your hearing? 

Thanks

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

antonietta

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 03:36:34 am »
No, I have to say muy balance is very good: I can walk without problems, I can take showers, I can also walk at dark.
About my hearing nothing can be said... the neurosurgeon said that the nerve was not in good shape, at the moment I can't hear from my right ear... but he also said to wait and see what happens.

What about you? I hope everything is fine!

Hugs