Author Topic: Medications you should not take after stereotactic radiotherapy ??  (Read 3803 times)

kat

Hi everyone

This morning I visited my GP about a recurrent indigestion problem and was amazed when he said that he could not prescribe a certain medication because I had had GK and it would affect the brain ! Stupidly enough I have now forgotten what the medication was called . Maybe some of the brainier An ers on this site who have done research into this might enlighten me and all of us on this subject .

Regards Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

Palace

• Palace
Re: Medications you should not take after stereotactic radiotherapy ??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:37:24 am »
 :'(

Kat,

Holy Tornado, please find out the answer to that from your GP.  Make a call and let us know!  (ASAP)

Thank you,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

kat

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 10:43:21 am »
Hi Palace

I know that it sounds grazy ! What I will do tomorrow is to contact Sheffield where I had my GK and ask them since the GP I saw today was not my usual GP and after a fairly disappointing consultation with him I do not really wish to talk to him untill I find out from the people in Sheffield if there is any truth in this matter . I have not got the date wrong ! This is not an April fool ! Honest !

Regards Kat   
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:25:15 pm »
Dear Kat,

I'd contact your radiation doctor about this matter, as well.

Please keep us posted,

Palace
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:31:01 pm »
Kat,

I was told not to take any supplements for six months after radiation.  (told by my radiation doctor)  I have two more mo. to go.  I made my aud. appt. today.  I'm awaiting a FAX back for my MRI (OK) slip to schedule it locally.  (then another consultation with Stanford)  You could always ask your question on the Rad. forum.  (type it in) 

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/

Pal
single sided deafness

kat

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 03:57:23 am »
Hi Palace

I have sent an e mail to my GK consultant as well as sent a letter to the GP who started the whole thing . I hope to get some answers eventually . Considering what a vast population this forum covers not having any more answers has surpised me and made me doubt the whole thing . I will let you know if and when I will get a response .

Regards Kat

lmurray69

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 08:24:13 am »
Kat,
Hi, I was never told by anyone about the nexium or radidine that i take for ulcers, and indajestion, you know my spelling is terrible. so i dont know what you are taking about.I do hope that you find out something . its alittle late for me as i have been sence feb 05,,please keeep us informed
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Sheryl

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 12:24:30 pm »
A great place to post this question would be at the Cyberknife board (www.cyberknifesupport.org).  The docs there are quite experienced and answer the questions rather quickly.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Sheryl

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 12:26:03 pm »
Sorry about my previous post - did not realize "Pal" had already mentioned the same thing  ::)
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

kat

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 05:12:48 am »
Hi everyone

I wrote a letter to the GP in question and to day I got a letter from him trying to answer why he could not prescribe the medication
I quote " The medication in question was "Domperidone" which is  an alternative to proton pump inhibitors . It works with the central nervous system and has side effects such as involuntary movement,tremors ,rigididty ,body restlessness,muscle contractions
and changes in breathing and heartrate .Though relatively safer than other prokinetics ,in viewof the site of action ,side effectprofile and your individual circumstances I felt it better to be cautious as your operation had involved the central nervous system . "
Pheww!!! with those side effects I am glad that he  did not prescribe it ! He comments further " Please note I did not say that it was something that was  contra - indicated in your case merely that one would need to be cautious "
He also says  "I was sticking to a principle of " first do no harm"when being cautious about considering a prokinetic for you .I am not a neurologist or a neurosurgeon and felt that at that point in time I would be going beyond the limits of my competence were I to make a spot decision on a case involving ablative stereotactic radiosurgery . This is something I would need to check up on myselfand it would not do justice to those having booked appointments after for me to spend time doing so then and there."

So there you have it . Any clearer ?

Regards Kat

kat

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 03:24:17 am »
Hi Everyone

I have finally got some answers thanks to Jackey from Bana UK who kindly got in touch with both Prof Mike Brada  (FSR) as well as
Mr Christer Lindquist (GK) who both said that there are no restrictions on medications  after either FSR or GK .
At last this case can be closed but not before I write a letter to the GP who started this whole thing and give him the above info.

Regards Kat 

Sheryl

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 01:35:58 pm »
Thanks for the info and keeping us updated.
Sheryl