Author Topic: AN and alcohol - cheap date!  (Read 3152 times)

MaryCPereira

AN and alcohol - cheap date!
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:09:04 am »
I'm not a big drinker...in fact, I rarely drink anymore. Maybe once every 3 or 4 months. However, since being diagnosed, I find that a tiny little bit of alcohol makes me fall right over!
Back in my college days it took quite a bit to make me that tipsy, but the other day I had a beer while watching the Pats game (go patriots!), and I got up after, and went right back down! Luckily my husband was there to help me around the house, but geesh! What a cheap date I am now! Guess this means I'll just be DD from now on. Although I'd never ever be able to pass a field sobriety test at this point anyway! Haha

I asked the doctor about this at one point...he said that most of his patients are older and haven't asked him about this before, so he didn't really know.  I also don't remember if I've asked this before...my memory is terrible lately!

Anyone else? :)

alabamajane

Re: AN and alcohol - cheap date!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:16:52 am »
 :-*,, have to agree,, doesn't take much to knock ya off balance anymore,,, I don't drink much anymore either for same reason,, but have learned to be close to something when standing.........good thing it isn't that " important" to me,,,  ::)
Life with an AN,,,,,
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:32:48 am »
Being Australian, there always seemed to be a BBQ, a party or something to go to.

I hardly drink at all any more, and then only 1-2 glasses maximum.

Drinking just made me feel dizzy and look like I was drunk, Now 2 years post CK, my balance is far better, but my desire to drink just isn't there.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 01:24:29 pm »
Mary,Jane & Paul,

Being the DD isn't quite so bad as you'd think! You are actually saving lives! I have not been able to drink because I take ani-seizure meds (since I was 17). I have been the DD for 38 years....Yet I still get a chill from driving by or hearing over the news an accident with a fatality involved (where it was proven that alchohol was involved.I gave up long ago wanting to have a drink to feel loose. Remember when there weren't TV shows involving rehab?

Which is not to say that I don't enjoy being happy, I do! Don't get me wrong! Alchohol, social occasions and me do not mix though.....I'd much rather have a non-alcholic brew! It used to suck for a while when I was younger but not so much anymore, especially when passing a fatality.........I am actually doing the community a service. I feel good about that!

At least you can have one!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Sam-NewZealand

• My Blog : Sams Snippets
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 03:23:14 am »
yep - wine and me are not that great together  :-[ ... was thinking it was due to not drinking much these days but when i review my past i always took less then others to get tipsy 
MRI on 16 Nov 2012 diagnosed - 29 years old!
Left AN 2.7 x 2.6 x 2.4 cm - pressing on brainstem & sensory nerve for face, full/numb ear feeling, constant tinnitus & major hearing loss in Left ear
7 hr AN surgery 25 Jan 2013
2 hr CSF Leak surgery 16 Feb
SSD Left, dry eye & slight Facial Nerve Damamge

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:15:19 pm »
ME TOO!
Pre-op I could drink a 24 and walk home, post-op I became a cheap drunk. Don't know why this happens but..... ah well!
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)