Author Topic: Good news to share.......  (Read 5892 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Good news to share.......
« on: October 30, 2008, 04:12:58 pm »
Looked in the mirror and saw the side of my nose bouncing up and down. Felt very strange but this is new movement. I feel like Tabitha the witch who could twitch her nose! Also I can now close my bad eye (paralyzed side) and open my good one. This is hard to do but shows that my eye is for sure getting stronger. Blinking is still very hard but this is progress. I feel bad posting good news about any progress because I want the same good news for everyone else out there struggling with facial paralysis BUT I do want to post good days too so that it gives us hope for better things to come! I'm thinking about you all and sending MOVING vibes your way.
Angie

MKLady

Re: Good news to share.......
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:07:38 pm »
Angie,

That is fantastic news!  Don't ever feel bad about posting good news.  It does give me hope that change can happen no matter how slowly. The first area I check on here is the facial issues in the hopes that someone will have good news. When was your surgery and what other movements have your had? 

I have a tiny, tiny movement at the corner of my mouth.  But when I concentrate on other areas like my upper lip and nostril, I almost feel like I can move them although I can't see it in the mirror.  I'm hoping that means they will be next.

Congrats on the nose!
Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:15:27 pm »
Angie, I am so very excited to hear this! The close the bad eye & open the good eye is especially good! Don't ever feel badly about posting progress. We love to celebrate everyone's good news.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 06:16:22 pm »
HOORAY!!!!  Great news!

I know what you mean about posting good news, but I agree. I think we all like to be there to celebrate the good news as well as support ones with not so good news or on down days.  ;)

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 08:33:23 pm »
Contrary to popular belief, misery does NOT always love company.  I think any of us here with facial issues are thrilled to hear when someone has some progress!  You shouldn't feel bad at all - we'll be celebrating your good news, so you should too!

Now, if you figure out how to wiggle your Bewitched nose and my house magically gets clean and my dinner cooked - let me know!!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 08:43:11 pm »
Great news ... and like others have already said ... Don't hesitate to share any good news ...

And like Lori I would also like to know the secret if you learn to twitch the nose and the house be
clean... I honestly don't think my house has been clean since my surgery... I clean it and my husband helps
but I see things that are not up to par, like my antique do-dads and Mc Coy on top of kitchen cabinets that
have not been dusted since the week before surgery ...kids say they are too little to walk on the counter to
do it and husband says he is too big... I know I am too unsteady ... a magic nose is what I need

Continue progress to you and everyone struggling with facial issues
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 09:18:25 pm »
Angie~
WHOO-HOO!!  Way to go!  Speaking as someone who will NEVER (unless God does something GREAT - never limiting Him) get any facial movement back, I LOVE to hear about you guys getting movement.  It makes me happy to know that other people are not going to be this way forever.  I'm not trying to make everyone feel sorry for me - just stating the facts!  I am especially excited for you b/c I know what a struggle this has been for you and now you are rising above it - in more ways than one!!  Way to go!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 09:40:14 pm »
Wonderful news, Angie!  ;D

Never hesitate to share your good news with us.  We all love to hear things like this. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:06:52 am »
twitch...~~~```twitch....oop......I just turned my hubby into Cinderella and now he's scrubbing the kitchen floors. He's a little ticked off and not as impressed with my nose twitch but my house is getting cleaned!!!
Angie

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:15:44 am »
you gotta do what you gotta do!!!   ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 09:57:58 am »
YAHOOOOOOOOOO Angie! - Thank you for letting us know. I have been feeling a bit discouraged and reading your post made me feel so hopeful.  ;D
 I understand your feelings, telling people great things that are happening and they are suffering the same issues but I think it is important to share the good as well as the not so good. Gives a clear realist picture. 
I am so happy for you. Facial paraysis is a long journey and really we are the ones who want to celebrate with you. Not many people in the real world will get as excited about a twitching nose like we will. YIPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEE Keep us posted.
Michelle  ;D ;D ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 03:09:42 pm »
Angie:

Congratulations on new facial movement.  Surely a portent of even better things to come.

Never apologize for spreading good recovery news.  As you can tell, we welcome it!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 04:19:59 pm »
Hi Angie,
Strange thing has happened to me today. I woke up and removed my tape and eye bandage and washed my eye and put in a couple eye drops. My crazy eye has been watering all day.... it pools in my bottom lid and then runs down my cheek(my blink is not totally back yet and I cannot fully close my eye without help). I didn't have to put any drops in for three hours. I hope this is a sign that my eye is waking up?
Thought I would share... my neigbours are not nearly as excited as we are about movement or tears. IHow could they possibly understand how great it is when things return that we once took for granted. I love tears. :'( These are tears of joy!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 11:26:11 am »
Angie-

So GLAD to hear your news!!  I think you already got the message that most of us with Pirate smiles love hearing about progress from others in the same pirate-ship - so Thank You!!

I can almost, almost, almost close my bad eye - there's still a little slit at the bottom so I'm not quite there yet.  But so close.  I make Willie look at my eye every night as I try to get it closed - did I mention that I am married to a saint?  :) 

I watched a sad movie this weekend to see if my eye would cry yet (the onion test didn't work), but so far, no tears.  I guess I can live with that, though.  I've instructed our stock broker to buy all available Refresh stock...   ;D

Angie, sending you a great big hug and my version of a smile!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 08:19:40 pm »
Angie -
I am  very late in coming to this thread but am also very thrlled for you.  Congratulations!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!