Author Topic: Eye irritation  (Read 3749 times)

madison

Eye irritation
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:35:53 am »
Hi!
My translate surgery was about 3 wks. Ago. I have some facial paralysis that is supposed to come back in time. I scratched my cornea about 2 wks ago so I went to an ophthalmologist.he gave me antibiotic drops and it seemed to work. For 2 days everything was totally normal but then my eye was irritated again. I've been sleeping with refresh pm and an eye patch so I don't know what happened. My eye closes just about all the way. Has anyone heard of the weight that goes on your eyelid with adhesive instead of being sewn in? Do you think it would help me? I just want my eye to be as normal as possible but right now it feels watery and irritated. I would really appreciate any input you have on this topic. Thank you so much...I look forward to your comments.
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

mk

Re: Eye irritation
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:20 am »
Hi Madison,

I had irritated, red eye on several occasions. It seems that our eyes are more prone to infection when they are not lubricated properly. Also, there is all the accumulation from ointments drops etc. My optometrist recommended that I should be wiping carefully my eye with warm water, to remove all the goop that accumulates. This helps. Also, when nothing else works, I have found that steroid eye drops really keep the swelling down. The are available by prescription. I have used "Tobradex" and found it very effective. Of course you don't want to overdo it with steroid drops, but I found that in some cases (like couple of times per year) nothing else helps.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Eye irritation
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 03:37:00 pm »
Hi Madison: I have the permanent platinum implant, but I've heard the temporary works well - just make sure it's on your eyelid securely - some people have lost theirs.
I use a 'bubble bandage' every night to make a moisture chamber, like a greenhouse effect - I don't know if your eye patch is able to do this. I 1st used saran wrap around my eye & taped it, but because I have permanent paralysis I buy the NiteEye bubble bandage - it is a plastic piece that fits over the eye and has adhesive built into it to go around your eye (I couldn't keep haveing to do this with the saran wrap).
Sounds like your paralysis is temporary (yea for you!), so you may want to try the saran wrap. Also, see your ophthtalmologist often - she/he can let you know how dry your cornea is - the main concern is not letting the cornea get dry. Always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis