Author Topic: Anyone out there from Michigan??  (Read 12889 times)

Melissa778

Anyone out there from Michigan??
« on: March 18, 2008, 06:02:14 am »
I am from the Toledo, Ohio area......My docs are sending me to the Michigasn Ear Institute for a second opinion and I wondered if anyone had ever been there or treated there?  Any feedback is appreciated.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Curt

Re: Anyone out there from Michigan??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:00:04 pm »
Hi Melissa:  I know someone who will be having her surgery through them; she's been happy with them so far. If you haven't seen it, their website is http://www.michiganear.com/index_real.html.  You can see the bios of the doctors and read some patients' stories.  Good luck.

kimberly

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:34:06 am »
Hello Melissa ,

I live in East Lansing, Michigan.  After I was diagnosed, I was referred to Dr. Larourere at the Michigan Ear Institute.  I have another appointment in a few weeks to do 3 tests and then my surgery is scheduled for the second week in May.   My iniitial visit there, the neurosurgeon(s) (I spoke with 3) were all very professional and willing to answer any questions that I had.  At the time I was't sure if I was going to go with Gamma Knife or the surgery and I didn't have any questions prepared because I think I was still a little in shock and overwhelmed by the news I was getting.  Prior to the diagnosis,  I had never heard of an acoustic neuroma,  I'm guessing many haven't.  Dr. Larourere told me that I should research both options  and that it was a decision for me to make but he would be more than happy to provide me with statistics, surveys,  and answer any questions that came up for me after I left his office.   He also mentioned that last year he did 120 acoustic neuroma surgeries.  At the time I didn't realize how many that really was, but after reading posts on this website and other things online, it seems that he has quite a bit of experience.  They also mentioned that they are rated the #2 in the country for the surgery (Ca. being #1).  I couldn't find anything online to support that, but I really didn't poke around into too much.    I wish you the best Melissa.  If you'd like more information after my surgery, I'd be happy to let you know how it all went.  :)  I haven't posted on this disucssion forum until now, but it has been very helpful for me to be able to roam around on it and read what others have to offer. 

Good luck to you !!

Kimberly

JFT

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:22:24 am »
I'm real new to this AN deal... I found out yesterday of my issue.  Anyway my wife and I are trying to do the same thing I'm sure most people would do in our situtation. Trying to search out our best options based on my particular condition. My question is how did you find out that the Michigan Ear Institute is rated #2 in the country?
They are close to where I live. I have been working with the Uof M  Dr El-Kashlan... Also now that I know what's going on I think I'm more aware of the symptoms of my tumor..

Thank you
JFT

Curt

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 10:07:16 am »
Hey JFT - sorry to hear about your AN. My father had one, and a very good friend is currently facing surgery for hers.  She selected MEI. I can't answer to MEI being #2 in the country, but I can say they have done a great job so far with my friend, both in performing all the pre-work, and preparing her for the surgery. (They did an additional series of tests recently which helped them determine what kind of surgery to do.) As you'll see as you read more on this website, getting a second opinion is very important, no matter which procedure you end up choosing and who does it. MEI would be a great resource for you, especially since they are so close. If you go to their website, you can read some patient stories, and see the doctors' qualifications.  Good luck to you.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:29:04 am »
JFT -

I believe that "thornapple" is a patient of Dr. El-Kashlan.  If you put "thornapple" in the search box (located under your user information at the left top corner of your screen) you can find thornapple's posts.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 11:43:07 am »
Melissa
Does this mean your scheduled surgery is off?  What was the issue that prompted the second opinion?.  Are you seeking a better surgeon?  I know you had issues with your in-laws.  I hope all is well.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 09:04:29 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I'm a newbie, just being diagnosed 2 days ago.  I'm so happy I found this site.  I live about 20 minutes from Toledo, Ohio, so my doctor sent me to the Michigan Ear Institute.  He said he has worked with all the doctors there, but choose for me Dr. Babu.
I have noticed in the short reading time I've been doing, that "dreamer" and at least one other person goes to Michigan Ear Institute....and they go to Dr. Kartush.  I've seen his name more than any other doctor there.  I also read that Dr. Kartush developed an instrutment to operate with to help with facial paralysis.  He sounds very good to me.  I just wonder why my doctor sent me to Babu instead of Kartush.  Has anyone been to Dr. Barbu????
I am going to ask my doctor in Monroe why he choose him tomorrow?
Thanks so much for all the support here, and I'm so happy that you have a WTT.  That will be so helpful.  Does anyone here realize that we had a better chance of winning the lottery than getting this????  LOL.   1 in 100,000. 
Just wanted to add alittle humor. ;D
Lacey7
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »
Does anyone here realize that we had a better chance of winning the lottery than getting this???? 

It seems like we've had a lot of people with ANs from Ohio lately.
I'm beginning to think that something weird is going on in that state  ???

You might just want to start buying lottery tickets, Lacey  ;D

Welcome to the "group",

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 06:46:45 am »
David,

This was an old post some were responding to.  This post (in march) was prior to my visit with Michigan Ear (in April), who I ended up LOVING and deciding to go with.  Surgery still on.....24 days and counting!  EEEEKKKKK

Problems with in-laws are improving a bit, I guess.......I spoke my mind, I think I made them all mad, btu they seem to be over it and now my surgery isn't a topic of conversation, it's now just ignored......which I guess is better then the negative attention I was getting :)

Lacey,

Babu is a new Physician to there group, not much experience is what I gathered.  I REALLY pushed my insurance company to allow me to see Kartush.  There are others in the office very qualified as well.  But I wanted the BEST.  Babu I'm sure is fine, I just wanted someone with a few more surgeries under his belt.  Read the Michigan Ear website http://www.michiganear.com/index_real.html and it gives info about all the docs.  Kartush himself did tell me that he is very busy and does lot of syposiums all over the world, so it is hard to get in to see him, but he did take me on as a patient which i am thankful for.  Best of luck.   PM me if you wnat to talk more about Babu and Michigna ear.  Where exactly are you from?

Melissa (daydreamer)
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 12:28:21 pm »
I too have been going to the Michigan Ear Institute (Dr. Michael LaRouere) for the past 4 years (through two surgeries) and I would highly recommend them. They have a great group there.

LADavid

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 02:21:45 pm »
Hey Melissa
You got you picture up.  And it's a cute picture.  Good going.

Thanks for clarifying the post -- I should have checked to see that it was an old one.  I'm glad things are going according to plan.

Did you ever contact the House Clinic for a brochure.  I'll be there next Monday and check with them to see if they send them out and who to contact -- I can get one if you want me to.

Toledo huh.  When I was young (back in the 50s) I spent my summers at Cedar Point.  Nothing like it is now.  And how was the Country Music fest -- if you went?

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 02:23:43 pm »
Wow, 2 new pictures - Melissa and MaryBK - nice to "see" you guys  ;D

Jan

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »
Mary too!  Great picture.  Yes it is great to see you guys.  Always fun to see the smiles and the families.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 11:18:34 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the helpful posts.  Daydreamer, you got me started thinking again, and I have come to realize that I don't want Dr. Babu as my doctor.  I got the feeling that he and my doctor here are "buddies".
When I went to the Michigan Ear Instituite Site and checked it out......I found out that 3 of the 6 doctors there are in the list of the 600 best doctors in the U.S.  That's what I WANT!!! 
I will call tomorrow and see if I can get into Kartush, or LaRouere.  Scott, I think you said you had LaRouere.  Did you really like him?
I noticed you had more than one surgery, so you must have liked him to stay with him.  Am I right?
Daydreamer, how long since your first appt. with Katush, was your surgery scheduled? 
My problem is my two kids live kinda far away.  One in Florida, and one in Atlanta.  I need to schedule the surgery by the middle of June, hopefully, or as early as possible.  There was a great fare on Spirit Airlines today and tomorrow morning from Orlando to Detroit, $17.00 one way!!!!!!  WOW.  Great price.  The dates would work out good, I think.  I just need to talk to them.
I did read that there is a huge meeting June 6 - 8th that I'm sure all the doctors will be going to. 
I will feel much better after everything is cocfirmed!!!  Did anyone else feel that way??
By the way, daydreamer, I live in Monroe, MI.  But Toledo is only about 20-25 minutes away.  If you live by Toledo, maybe we can meet up sometime and talk in person, if you would want? 
This board is amazing.
Thanks, my new friends for the help and suggestions.  I'm always open to new ideas.
Lacey

Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.