Author Topic: Need to chill  (Read 1904 times)

microsoftfree

Need to chill
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:51:57 pm »
Only been here 11 days and need to take a break. I can't tell you all how much I've learned and how helpful you've been, but need to, I guess, let it all soak in. It's all I think about and haven't even been diagnosed yet. I call tomorrow to schedule the MRI's and he said 5 days later, he will call me. I need to have a clear head when I talk to him.

I was reading some posts from 2 years ago and think maybe I've had an ah-ha moment which may turn out bogus if I don't have an AN, lol. In the early 80's I was married to an air conditioning man. I used to climb on roofs with him all the time helping carry equipment, etc. and never had any balance issues at all. Today, I can't get on a ladder that's more than 4' off the ground w/o getting dizzy. Can't remember when that started happening. Things that make you go hmmmmm!

I'll check back in when I get the results in a couple of weeks. I also pre-scheduled a weekend camping trip the first weekend in April for my mental health and am going regardless of the outcome. I need some R&R after all of this!

Becky

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Need to chill
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:26:59 pm »
Becky ~

No problem.  It is a lot to process and 'taking a break' is certainly not a bad idea at this point.  You're allowed a respite.  I'm pleased to learn that the forums have been of service to you.  Enjoy your 'vacation' and we'll look forward to your next post in a couple of weeks.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

OTO

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:43:23 pm »
Microsoftfree

Reading the forums can be compulsive.  Every couple of months, I delete my account, and stop reading and posting, because it stresses me out.   I think I've been a "newbie" four times.   Every time I make it to "junior" member, I delete my account, and chill out...   Just after diagonsis, I was reading posts for hours per day, and it freaked me out....  its overwhelming, and the stress of determining your treatment gets exacerbated.   all things in moderation....

microsoftfree

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 04:36:22 am »
Well, that didn't last long. :( Had a total meltdown yesterday. The day started out with a dead battery in my truck. Got to work and just couldn't concentrate, then the dizziness returned again and took a pill. Called the hospital on my first break to make an appointment and the soonest they had open was April 2. I was expecting this week (from previous exp. getting MRIs). I imagine they are a lot busier now without UTMB in Galveston. Second break, called the doc and let them know when the appointment was. She said, no way and gave me another place that was newly open closer to my house. Called the insurance to verify location and they told me the new place wasn't in network. The new place called and said they ARE in network, took my info to call them. They ARE in network, so will have the MRIs Thursday morning!  :)

Came home from work early...I was a basket case. Finally, called my MOM (lives several states away) and spilled my guts. She's in her mid 80's and didn't want to burden her w/o a diagnosis. Then the a/c man came and got that fixed...hasn't worked since hurricane Ike and waved bye bye to precious $$...lol

The not knowing is really eating my lunch and I really think I'll be fine once I find out what's going on no matter which way it goes. It's just been a rough last year. I had to have my top teeth pulled last May, but couldn't afford the denture right away. So saved up my money and the hurricane hit. My insurance took care of most everything, but had to put up my own money first. I get my final fitting this Friday.

I think everything just snowballed on me in one fell swoop, but I needed it. Make sense? You guys here are going to be my rock.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:09:46 am »
Hello Becky,

Well, I never got to tell you to have a great break from these forums, but welcome back! :)

If the not knowing is what's really eating at you, then how awesome it must feel to be getting your MRI done on Thursday!  Unfortunately, the technician won't tell you anything, so you still have to wait until the results are done.  You can call the center the next day and ask them if they are ready to be picked up.  They'll probably tell you they can have them ready on Monday though, unless they are quicker than the one I went to.  When I got mine, the diagnostic report was even printed out and put inside, so even if I didn't know what to look for, it told me what I had.  Of course, you can always go the traditional route and wait for your ENT or Doctor to call and set up an appointment :).

Good luck in any case and try to relax!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

moe

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:26:02 am »
Welcome back, Becky.
I know what you mean, you can get sucked in to the AN forum and just have to stop for the day (or week/month).
 Probably a good thing I joined after all my fun so I can support others.
Hang in there. Once you get a diagnoses, then that will help.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:40:42 am »
Well, hello again, Becky ~

I'm sorry to learn of all the hassles you've been dealing with for the past year but if posting/reading here helps, welcome back!  :)

Without a doubt, uncertainty is highly stressful in a situation like yours.  Many of us have been through it - and understand your feelings.   I hope and will pray that (a) the MRI does not show any tumors, and, (b) if you do have an acoustic neuroma, being able to give it a name and have a reason for your symptoms as well as knowing it's very likely benign and treatable, will give you some level of comfort. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

bambi81

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 04:35:43 pm »
I just had my MRI done today.  Hopefully I will know the results by Friday. I don't know what to expect.  I guess my doc will call and set up an appointment, more waiting!!!  I know what you mean about not being able to think about anything else.  I am a full time student and had to drop two of my classes because I am so obsessed with this AN stuff.  Good luck Thursday, let us know, and I'll do the same!!

microsoftfree

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 04:06:55 am »
{{{{{bambi81}}}}}

Looks like we will hang in there together, then! I'm just glad that I came here first so I know that if it's an AN, it isn't the end of the world and could be so much worse. A friend of mine died a couple of days ago and the memorial is this afternoon, so it's just really been stressful. She donated her body to science hoping that it will help figure out a cure. She's in a better place today and know that she'd be telling me not to worry about this bump in the road.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:13:13 am by microsoftfree »