Author Topic: headache and sneezing  (Read 15633 times)

Jill

headache and sneezing
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:30:36 am »
This is a strange question but has anyone had headaches brought on by a sneeze?  I had retrosigmois surgery 1-20-09 and was headache free for the first 3 months.  Now, daily headaches.  There isn't a real pattern to the headache except when I sneeze, the headache is immediate (within 5 seconds) and really bad.  The headach is in the back of my head and my ears.  I feel like my head and ears could explode.  I have had an MRI which shows only normal post surgical changes.  I am seeing the neurosurgeon again on 2-1-10 but have not had much luck with our conversations in the past.  Can anyone help me with a list of questions to present at my appointmen?  The good news is advil/ tylenol and heat does help but I have been doing that every single day since May.  The only permanent fix for the headaches (2 week fix) is a course of steroids.  Their newest theory is that the headache is coming from cervical damage.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: headache and sneezing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:27:54 pm »
I landed in ER about 2 weeks out from surgery due to a couple sneezes ...well the sneezes brought on brainwreck headache that brought on vomitting which the pressure of that brought more head pain and around we went ... now  a sneeze can still make head hurt but not to the point of having to go to ER ... several theories have been offered to me ...sudden increase in inter cranial pressure to pulling of skin across incision sight ... I have went from codiene to hydrocodone to tylonal and heat as ways to help ... since started on lyrica , just need tylonal and sometimes heat ...

I still get a sudden stab of pain over surgical site when I sneeze , cough or as in last weekend with stomach bug (thanks kids ) vomitting ... but I no longer fear these things just dislike them ...

I guess not much help other than to let you know you are not alone
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

staypoz

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:10 am »
It is not unusual for a headache to be triggered by sneezing or coughing.  In my experience, that subsides after a while.  In the meantime, hang in there!

staypoz

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:42:23 am »
When you sneeze, your neck muscles spasm and can indeed bring on a cervicogenic headache.  Read the paper on cervicogenic headache further down in theis headache department. This happens to me all the time, but it has gotten better.  When I was about a year post op it was the worst.  Have you seen a physical therapist who is experienced with cervicogenic headaches?  May help.  At the Chicago symposium, both Dr Leonetti and Dr Ryzenman explained that cervical damage from head position during surgery was a bigger culprit at causing headaches than was previosly believed.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jill

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 02:56:34 pm »
Captain Deb,

Thanks for replying.  I know how much you have suffered with headaches.  The neurosurgeon knew going into the surgery that I had cervical spine issues that would need to be handled at some point.  He studied both MRI films  and decided to tackle the AN first.  They assured me they would be careful with neck placement and I was still giving them orders on it while they were wheeling me into the OR.  I was so happy to not have any headaches, just a stiff neck, for the first few months.  I see the surgeon again on 2-1-10 and see what he advises.  The last time I saw him they were talking about and occipital block.  I just want to go to the appointment as informed as I can to help in the decision making process.

marsha G

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:43:36 pm »
I had surgery on Dec. 15, 2009.  My doctor told me to open my mouth when I sneeze to relieve the pressure.  It is a really strange experience and sounds really wierd but it works.  I have a friend who had a different type of ear surgery and she warned me that sneezing was not pleasant, so that was one of the questions I asked my surgeon prior to surgery.  Hope this helps.

5mm x 5mm diagnosed 2/09 - watch & wait for 6 months
Lost additional hearing.  Endoscopic surgery 12/15/09, Dr. Hrayr Shahinian, Skull Base Institute.  No facial damage, reduction of noise in left ear, minimum balance issues