Author Topic: Memory  (Read 10730 times)

Pembo

Re: Memory
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 02:22:24 pm »
I'm 20 months post op and I too have some memory problems. It has definitely improved but I still blank out on words, confuse words, can't remember phone numbers/addresses as easily, and I have to keep lists.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Angela

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 05:35:06 pm »
I don't know whether to laugh or cry... this is so me!

Pre-op, I had a phenomenal memory, seriously.  I had a thing for numbers (license plates, phone numbers, zip codes) and could recall them for years.  Post-op, I'm struggling to remember what I wore yesterday.

My surgeon swears he didn't touch that part of my brain but I know that I'm not the same.  My husband sees my cognitive difficulties too.  They affect everything: speech (I've heard it appropriately called "verbal constipation"), fine motor skills (my handwriting was very nice and now it's so inconsistent), memory, logic, etc.

I'm 1 year post-op and yes the issues are less flagrant than they were 6 months ago but I still feel rusty sometimes.
Sorry, I am no help just affirmation!
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

luv2teachsped

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 09:53:04 pm »
Hi : I am almost 9mo post op.  I've been having a very hard time dealing with my lack of headaches, memory, word recall and disorganization.  I am a special ed. teacher and am planning on going back to school for my masters. But frankly, I'm scared to death.  It reassures me to read that many others have the same difficulties, but ticks me off that Dr.s don't say a things about these side affects.How does everyone else cope with  these difficulties? luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

DeniseSmith

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 07:49:13 am »
My tumor was on my left side.  I don' t think my memory is any different than before.  I have always been good with dates, etc...  I do a lot of crossword puzzles and word find puzzles and I think this helps.  When I went through occupational therapy, I was given math problems,  reading problems, and word finds to figure out.  I really think this OT helped me as much as the PT is helping me.  The only time I get headaches now is when I am stressed from work or did not drink enough water during the day.    Don't get me wrong I am not perfect and do have issues with the facial paralysis and my left eye, but overall I am coming to terms with the new me.  I take Zoloft daily and I wish I could go back a few years and change my attitude about the importance of my health.  I was having symptoms and had I taken the time to see a dr. my tumor might have been found when it was small enough to radiate. Anyway you know what they say about hindsight!  Sorry I am babbling.....back to the topic of this thread...my memory seems to be the same. 

Denise

Katja

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 12:19:10 pm »
And I've just said that my bad memory lately it is just because of stress......!!!! Lately I really have difficulties to remember what I was going to do, where I put something. I am trying to call my hunband, he don't answer....he calls be back in 30min .... I don't remember what I wanted from him. Can it really be from the surgery? I had 3.5cm tumor on right side, operation Jun04/Sept04/Mar05.
For good I've entered to my phone calendar days to remeber..
3.5cm tumor right side. Oper. Jun04 lost hearing, CSF leak oper. Sep04 & Mar05. :-*

Battyp

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 12:36:20 pm »
I know memory isnt' the same.  My tumor was on the left side.  I feel like I'm stuid.  I would love to have an IQ test done to see if I've lost iq points. 

Teach what are you getting your masters in?  I'm thinking of trying an online masters program that allows you to go at your own pace.  It is also cheaper than going to classes as the whole program is less than the tuition at the local university and I won't have to do any tests!

luv2teachsped

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 06:44:23 pm »
Hey Batty P:
     Now that I'm single again(divorced after 25 years of marriage),  I'm going for my masters in curriculum and instruction, with intentions of eventually going for a teacher consultant job or to general ed(which I DON'T want to do).  I thought of even going to work for the state dept. of ed., they could use a few people there who know what they're talking about!   I think I've put off registering because I'm not sure of what I'm getting into.  I also checked the online route, but I decided against it, thinking I probaly would need as much help as I can get!!  ::)luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Battyp

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 06:50:30 pm »
I was checking into teaching for the dod which looks interesting.  Think I might after my son is in college.  I know a girl who did advocacy work for the department of ed in Fl.  Sounded interesting..we were both ex ed majors.  I don't know if I'd have the patient (or stamina) to sit in class heck I know I won't have the retention  lol