Author Topic: Had surgery Nov. 16  (Read 3559 times)

kraynok2

Had surgery Nov. 16
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:12:46 pm »
Hi everybody!  I had my translab on Tuesday, November 16.  Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz were defiinitely the right choice.  It took 7 hours.  Dr. Chen said the facial nerve was stretched to about 3 times the normal size.  He had trouble seeing all of it.  The tumor was pretty sticky.  But he said the surgery went better than expected.  I think all of the the research I did on this forum and other sites really prepared me.  I thought going into surgery, my heart would be beating like crazy.  But I was calm.  I was more nervous the second and third nights for some reason.  My family could not believe that on Wednesday morning I was sitting in a chair eating breakfast (what I could get down from my super dry mouth).  I had no trouble getting off the bed and into the chair.  I did not have any nausea or dizziness, nor double vision.  I do hurt everywhere, though.  Wednesday evening I was  moved to a regular room and started walking.  I did not have any trouble.  They were all amazed.  The staff and doctors told me if they would compare me to the other patients they have done over the years, they have never seen anyone like me--doing so well.  I couldn't believe it!  I know my research has paid off.  I do have a very slight crooked mouth when I smile or talk.  Most people do not even notice, thank goodness.  I could have come home Friday, but I did not feel ready, seeing as it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive.  I did come home  Saturday.  I was worried about the drive on Interstate 79 bothering me, but it went very well.  I am very fortunate and thankful.  I am getting headaches off and on and still have a very dry mouth.  If I could get rid of these, everything would be good.  I do have back neck pain, which I heard might be a problem.  Off and on during the day and night, I am also getting low back pain and pain in my rear end.  Has anyone experienced this?  I wonder if it could be from the operating table and the uncomfortable hospital bed.  Oh, by the way, I can also walk the steps in my house--yeah!!  ;D  I'm tired now, so I shall close.  Just wanted to fill you in.  Sandy

Kaybo

Re: Had surgery Nov. 16
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:56:58 pm »
Sandy~
Glad things are going well for you!  Keep listening to your body & know that it is OK to have some bad days here and there...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 09:52:16 am »
Sandy,
Wow what a great report. Congratulations! Our model patient for the year :)
Go easy on the bending completely over thing. May contribute to post op headache.
 No housework, just rest and let your body that just had brain surgery heal.
You'll know when and if you over do it, because you'll feel exhausted the next day, which is completely normal!
Drink lots of fluids, walk, rest-the fun routine. So happy for you!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:53:36 am »
Sandy:

It is pretty remarkable that you don't have any dizziness. Take it easy. When you feel like you are doing really well, you may tend to over-do it. Then you crash. Listen to your body.

Congratulations on your outcome.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:02:28 pm »
Hi Sandy .....

Glad to read the complete report.  So relieved that things went amazingly well for you.  Sorry about the dry mouth and aches and pains ..... my guess is it is part of a normal recovery process ..... but do keep an eye on the symptoms and report back to your doctor if they do not begin to resolve soon.  Your brain must have already compensated for the vestibular nerve prior to surgery for you not to experience the imbalance.  That is a big plus.

Continuing thoughts and prayers for an uneventful recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 03:04:06 pm »
Sandy ~

Congratulations on your successful surgery and remarkable recovery!  I had a similar post-op experience so I can relate to your exhilaration at doing so well, so soon. Your back and neck pain are very likely related to your positioning during the surgery and should abate in the days to come....the headaches and dry mouth, too, although, of course, this is pure speculation on my part.  Still, as you realize, you're having a remarkable recovery.  I'm pleased to see it posted as an update that will be encouraging to those contemplating surgery, soon.  May your recovery continue apace.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kraynok2

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 04:34:09 pm »
I guess I wasn't thinking of the ups and downs.  I didn't sleep last night.  I just could not fall asleep.  I have vicadan and tylenol.  I decided that the vicadan might be causing some of my stomach hurting and the headaches, so we decided to stick with the tylenol.  I finally took some at 6:30 am and was able to get a little bit of sleep.  I know my body is all out of wack from the surgery, but it's frustrating.  I felt out of it all day today.  My neck felt better, but I got another headache in the afternoon.  So my husband and I decided to go back to the vicadan for bedtime.  Also, when I nap, I can be cold one minute and then be very hot and sweaty the next minute.  Has anyone experienced this?  I do chill easily, but this is crazy.  Thanks to those who have responded to my original post.  Sandy

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 04:49:28 pm »
I guess I wasn't thinking of the ups and downs.  I didn't sleep last night.  I just could not fall asleep.  I have vicadan and tylenol.  I decided that the vicadan might be causing some of my stomach hurting and the headaches, so we decided to stick with the tylenol.  I finally took some at 6:30 am and was able to get a little bit of sleep.  I know my body is all out of wack from the surgery, but it's frustrating.  I felt out of it all day today.  My neck felt better, but I got another headache in the afternoon.  So my husband and I decided to go back to the vicadan for bedtime.  Also, when I nap, I can be cold one minute and then be very hot and sweaty the next minute.  Has anyone experienced this?  I do chill easily, but this is crazy.  Thanks to those who have responded to my original post.

Sandy ~ 

You're less than a week out of major surgery.  Your body's systems are traumatized and 'out of whack'.  They'll re-adjust - but while they are, you may be uncomfortable at times.  This should pass.  Meantime, try to remain as active as possible but don't overdo, or, as we often warn "listen to your body".  We're offering that caution based on personal experience.  I think you'll notice improvement in your current issues in a short time.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 11:18:07 am »
Sandy:

It's not just the effects of the surgery that disrupt our sleep. It doesn't help that the nurses come in at all hours of the day or night & wake us up to check our vitals. It took me about 1.5 yrs after my surgery before I could sleep straight through the night. Taking calcium supplements just before bedtime helps. 

Let me warn your about Tylenol. It's not meant to be taken for more than about 10 days. It's bad for your liver & kidneys, & your body becomes dependent on it to fight pain. I highly recommend a heating pad applied to the neck when you get a headache. It works wonders for my pain.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.