Author Topic: Facial schwannanoma after gamma knife  (Read 1711 times)

PatSal

Facial schwannanoma after gamma knife
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:58:55 am »
I had gamma knife radio radiosurgery in December, 2007 after being diagnosed in December, 2005. I retained my hearing but have balance problems.  When I had an MRI in December, 2009 I was told I could now wait one year for my next MRI.  I did not have that MRI until April of 2010 due to my neurosurgeon closing his hospital and moving to North Shore Hospital in Skokie. He insisted in December, 2009 that I come to Skokie because he wanted the MRI done on the same machine. He claimed they moved their machine from CINN to north Shore.  I could not schedule a MRI and doctor's appointment for the same day- then my husband was having shoulder surgery. Anyway, I went to my neurologist in March and explained the situation to him.  He told me Northwester Hospital had a TS MRI which picked up everything. I had the MRI done April 3rd and it showed the AN had gotten smaller but the cisternal portion abuts the the left aspect of the pons.  (This was due to swelling after gamma knife)
 Also found was a 3mm lesion along the course of the left facial nerve mastoid segment. On the coronal images, this lesion measures at least 4mm likely representing a left facial nerve schwannoma.  My neurologist feels this is from the gamma knife and says I cannot have gamma knife again. I will repeat an MRI in six months to see if it is slow growing or not due to how suddenly this size lesion appeared since November, 2009. I had melanoma in 1998 on my arm which was completely excised with normal lung and blood tests, and have skins exams every 6 months.   I do remember being told that gamma knife could cause cancer.  Has anyone who received game knife gotten a second schwannanoma?  Pat Sal

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Facial schwannanoma after gamma knife
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 06:59:25 pm »
Pat Sal -

GK does not cause cancer; that's an old wives' tale.

I don't know the answer to your question, but if you are looking to consult with a doc in the Chicago area who does GK, I highly recommend my neurotologist.

If you'd like more details, please PM me - or you can email me (my email address is in my profile).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways