Author Topic: Update - 2nd infection...  (Read 13709 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Update - 2nd infection...
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 01:58:11 pm »
Kathy ~ 

Because it's now almost 4 P.M. (EST), I'll assume your surgery has been successfully completed and you're home, recovering and looking forward to getting on with your life.  Please confirm.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 03:21:29 pm »
One of Kathy's posts stated she would be in the hospital overnight so may not get news until tomorrow.
                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jwh

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 05:55:46 pm »
I'm thinking of you!  I know you're going to be fine.  God bless.

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 07:25:55 pm »
HI Guys!

Well, who knew?  I'm home sitting in my recliner, shocked that they sent me home so soon!  Apparently, all went well.  Although I had all indications of a bone infection, they opened me up to find no signs.  They debrided the wound (really did a lot of clean up) , and gave us new instructions on caring for the wound.  It is now a combination of staples and sutures (the sutures are where the open part of the infected part was), and much less hair this time than after surgery the first time.  (how will I ever get back to work?) 

Steve has to cleanse with soap and water 2x per day, then apply some ointment that starts with a "b".  (I wonder why this was not our instructions after surgery, but then it doesn't do me much good to second guess.)

I am not in pain right now, due to great meds and the fact that my head is still surprisingly numb from the January surgery. 

But- my problem now is this - I am having a hard time urinating.   I can go, but only a small bit a time.  They did not use a catheter, so I should be going a little bit more than I am.   Have any of you had this problem ?  Should I flush by drinking lots of water? 

Any insight would be great!!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Kaybo

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 08:00:26 pm »
Kathy~
I don't have any answers for you on the tinkle-time problems but I don't think too much water can ever hurt!!  Glad everything went well and you are home safe & sound!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 08:05:09 pm »
Try drinking Gatorade or Powerade. It is easier to drink than water, and goes right through you. ;)

I suspect it is a side effect of medication, either during surgery or after, and will go away soon. Great that you are home already!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2009, 09:53:38 pm »
Kathy -

good news!  I"m surprised they didn't have you use any ointment after your surgery either.  I used bacitracin, but another "B" one is bactroban, which is much stronger and prescription and pretty much wipes out everything you could possibly have.  Pretty much.

How long was the surgery?  I'm sure they had you not eating or drinking after midnight last night and if they didn't have fluid running in thru IV for very long, you might be a little dehydrated - hence the lack of "tinkling".  I'd just stay well hydrated and if it's not flowing better by tomorrow morning, I'd probably give the doc a call.

Welcome home!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 10:25:18 am »
Hi Kathy -
What great news!  I'm glad to hear you're home and hope this will be the end of your problem.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 04:42:13 pm »
Kathy ~

Congratulations on a successful procedure!  I join many others in hoping (and praying) that the wound will now heal properly and your recovery can proceed at a normal pace. 

The 'B' ointment is very likely Bacitracin.  It is commonly used on incisions/cuts and usually quite effective.  I used it, on my doctors instructions, to treat my AN surgical incision.  It worked well.  Unfortunately, I have no useful suggestions on how to conquer the urinary issue but drinking copious amounts of water should have a beneficial effect, assuming there is no underlying problem, which seems unlikely at this point.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2009, 08:03:48 pm »
Hey Kathy~
How are things today?  How are you feeling?  Tinkle time better?  Inquiring minds want to know...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 03:06:54 pm »
I am happy to report that tinkle time is better - thanks for askin' Kaybo!  I think I'll check have things checked out while I'm home recouperating (finally) from this AN adventure to make sure things are working like they should.  i've had a few other symptoms (some have been years in the making) that I should probably chat about with my family doctor.  Since I've had plenty of time to reflect and read read read, I think that I need to be a better advocate for my own health and not ignore them.  Quality of life, turns out, is a really important thing - I've never appreciated that more than during the last 4 months!!!  This ordeal has taught me a good deal and I hope to be stronger because of it!!
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2009, 09:01:36 pm »
Jeez, Kathy, does this make you a "postie-postie?" What an ordeal!  I'm glad you are home and "cleaned out." After my surgery my buddy Marge who was taking care of me, put my head over the sink and poured hydrogen peroxide over my incision every night and then slathered it with neo-sporine.  Years of living in the tropics on boats really taught us about infections! I don't know why the docs don't tell their patients to do stuff like that. So sorry you had to go through all that but sounds like you can pass your title of "Queen of the Ickyheads" on to someone else now.

Hoping for smooth sailing for you from hereon out!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 11:00:26 am »
Boy, I sure could use Marge about now!  I think I'm going to lose my mind!!!!  My daughter has wound care duty today and guess what?  There are two pea size dots of yellow-ish color on the part of the incision that was so bad before.  How much can one person take?  I guess I'll tell ya later.  She used the soapy solution and cleaned it out, then applied the antibacterial ointment on the incision, as we've been instructed.  I've got a call into my doc's office, but so far, they have obviously not found the magic solution to this ordeal, either. 

If I had the energy, I'd go running down the street to let out this frustration, but I think I'll just imagine me doing it for now.  WHAT THE HECK?????????????

Kathy

lori67

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 12:44:56 pm »
Kathy,

Did they give you oral antibiotics too?  They should have - you have to attack from all angles with a stubborn infection.  I'd call and ask about it if they didn't prescribe any for you.  Maybe they have some reason for not using them, but it seems odd to me.  And if all they told you to use was the bacitracin, which is over the counter, ask about the prescription Bactroban too.  Bacitracin is great, but it has it's limits.  Bactroban will cover a wider range of "nasties".

Good luck!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 12:56:08 pm »
Kathy,
Sorry to hear about the drainage. Just now reading this post.
It's just draining a little. As long as it is not green and nasty smelling, you should be ok. Better to drain out than fester under the skin.
Lori is right- you need antibiotic.
I would also suggest feeling around the area. Does it hurt when you press on that area? If not that's a good sign. If it hurts, then there's stuff that wants to come out.Ymmm.
Hang in there...
And if you start running a temp >100.4, call AGAIN1
Nurse Maureen
(lori is a nurse too, can't you tell? ;))
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty