Author Topic: Numb lips and sore teeth  (Read 13888 times)

luvzmutt

Numb lips and sore teeth
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:24:43 pm »
My tongue is not sore, but in the past month and a half my mouth has become numb.  It started with pain in my upper and lower teeth and a numb, tinging feeling mainly on my top lip, as all as a "peppery" burning feeling on my lips.  Have some taste issues too, but I think only certain foods taste bland.  At first I thought I had a sinus infection, as when I had them in the past I had pain in my teeth, but only the top.  In February of this year I had 20% of my pancreas and my spleen removed due to a precancerous cyst on the tail of my pancreas.  This is the first time I have really not felt well, though I had a long 6 month recovery from my surgery.  I thought, now being a splenic, that this is a sinus infection that is just kicking my butt.  I did one round of a Zpack with no relief, and am now into my 3rd week of a 21 day course of the antibiotic Ceftin.  The numb feeling and tooth pain has subsided some, but it is still there.  I am now wondering if this feeling could be a result of my AN.  I'm in my 3rd year of W&W and my last MRI in October showed no significant change (0.8 x 1.0 x 0.7).  Does anyone still in W&W or anyone post surgery gone thru the same numb and pain feeling?
Right side AN diagnosed 7/10 - 6.1 mm x 7.8 mm
1st follow-up MRI 1/10/11 - 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
2nd follow-up MRI 7/11/11 - 1.0 x 0.7 x 0.6 cm
Follow-Up 12/20/11 - no noticeable change
MRI 11/26/12 - .5x1.0x.6 cm
MRI 10//21/13 - 0.8 x 1.0 x 0.7
Some hearing loss AN side and tinnitus
NF1 & optic glioma

volleymom

• had pressure on my Pons
Re: Numb lips and sore teeth
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:47:30 am »
I had numbness on one side of my face, and eventually it was extending to one side of my tongue too. When talking with the neurologist about my symptoms, I realized that I wasn't tasting food on the left side of my mouth. And I had had a dry eye and mouth for years.  My MRI found a tumor pressing on the facial nerves and brainstem. In the last few weeks before my surgery, I started feeling alot of pressure in my upper teeth, even on the non-tumor side.
Maybe your neurologist would want to start you on Gabapentin, mine did, in increasing doses starting before I even had any pain.  I think you should tell your doctor about your progressing symptoms.

Good Luck to you
9mm X 16mm diagonsed in August 2009.  Retrosigmoid Nov, 2009 at OHSU in Portland, OR.
post-op had some facial nerve weakness, nearly resolved. Mild tinnitus. Left sided deafness.

Echo

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:40:07 am »
I had some numbness develop during the past year prior to having Gamma Knife treatment.  It was on the tip of my tongue and on the right corner of my mouth, more on the lower lip but right corner.  It was very sporadic coming and staying for a few weeks and then going for a few and then returning.  In my first three months post Gamma, it's doing the same thing.  I have no pain or taste issues. 

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

luvzmutt

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:49:29 am »
Thank you both for the feedback.  I am going to contact my NF doctor (I have NF-1 and and unilateral AN), my NF doctor is the one watching the tumor as she is very familiar with ANs.

ETA:  I contacted my NF doctor and they are going to get the volume measurements of the AN and follow up with me in a week.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:41:52 am by luvzmutt »
Right side AN diagnosed 7/10 - 6.1 mm x 7.8 mm
1st follow-up MRI 1/10/11 - 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
2nd follow-up MRI 7/11/11 - 1.0 x 0.7 x 0.6 cm
Follow-Up 12/20/11 - no noticeable change
MRI 11/26/12 - .5x1.0x.6 cm
MRI 10//21/13 - 0.8 x 1.0 x 0.7
Some hearing loss AN side and tinnitus
NF1 & optic glioma