Author Topic: BAHA surgery loomin, scared and have some ???s  (Read 4021 times)

tenai98

BAHA surgery loomin, scared and have some ???s
« on: September 08, 2009, 05:01:25 pm »
Ok, just had my pre admin test.  The three month is for no swimming in contaminated waters, ei the ocean....so I can wet my head (wash hair) the next day being careful not to wet the incision....then full lather in 10 days...Now, I was told the surgery is 2.5 hrs long under a general which I am fearing cuz I have hard time coming out of it...I wass told I will be dizzy and off balance for a week or so and that I cant drive til doc gives me the ok on the follow up the following week.  I think I"m more scared of this surgery than the AN one.  It took me 3 days to get up and walk....First few days I could barely moved. Felt like I was paralysed...Oh well I survived the first one, I'm sure I'll survive this one...
My questions are:
1) how long was ur Baha surgery?
2) when did you drive after Baha surgery?
3)was your dizziness and balance issues the same as with AN treatment?
4)how much pain were u in afterwards?? I had no pain after AN surgery, therefore I was only given reg. tylenolX2
Joann
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA surgery loomin, scared and have some ???s
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 06:09:31 pm »
Jo -

your BAHA Recovery Kit will contain a very nice plastic cup that you can hold over your BAHA site while you shampoo until you can get it wet.  I should be mailing it any day now.

Answers to your questions (from my experience)

1)  surgery was about 90 minutes start to finish - but I didn't have general anesthesia; I had local

2)  I drove the same afternoon - no dizziness, no pain, no balance issues

3)  My AN dizziness and balance issues were huge - I had none of either with my BAHA surgery

4)  I took an Extra Strength Tylenol the afternoon of my surgery and possibly one the next morning; nothing after that.  Like you, I had no pain after my AN surgery; took no pain meds.

Keep in mind that everyone is different - plus your doctor obviously has a different protocol than doctors here in the States.  Don't be scared.  Hell, you survived AN surgery - and compared to that, BAHA implant surgery is truly a piece of cake.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:12:12 pm »
Hi Joann,

I had general anesthesia. I am not not sure exactly how long the surgery was, but I went in around 11:30, and I was home around 3:00. (The hospital is only a mile from my house) I am guessing I was in recovery about an hour.

I was a little dizzy for 2 days after, but only when I exerted myself by bending over. I believe this was because of the anesthesia, NOT the surgery.

My surgery was on a Wednesday, and I was able to drive on Friday. I also went to work that day, which was not a good idea. Luckily, I only had to go in for a couple of hours.

My pain was minimal, it was sore, like I had a bruise, but it really wasn't too bad.

I hope this helps, it's natural to be scared, I think everyone is, but when it's over, most everybody says "it was a piece of cake".

Lisa

Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:47:10 pm »
Hi Jo,

I had my BAHA surgery in January and it was not bad at all.  I had no dizziness at all, but didn't have general anesthesia.  I asked my doc about this possibility and he said the anesthesia could cause dizziness but the surgery itself would not.  I drove a couple of days later, but probably could have driven by the next day, or perhaps even the same day as the surgery but I wasn't in a rush and didn't push myself.  I'm sure you'll be fine too.  It's natural to be a little anxious about any surgery, but this one really is a piece of cake.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Richey

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 08:20:51 am »
I'm due for surgery on Oct 8th and I was told it takes around an hour.

I think after affects vary greatly from person to person but if you went through AN surgery this should be easier.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 09:43:45 pm »
I think after affects vary greatly from person to person but if you went through AN surgery this should be easier.

That is a gross understatement  ;D  BAHA implant surgery is absolutely NOTHING like AN surgery - been through both, so I know this for a fact.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 08:40:16 pm »
My BAHA surgery took about an hour and a half under general anesthesia.   Not really sure - I was asleep!   :D I didn't have any problems afterwards.

I think I went into the OR around 10am and I was home by 3pm, and that was after stopping at the pharmacy to fill my prescription for pain meds that I didn't wind up using anyway.  I was tired from the anesthesia, but didn't have a problem with dizziness.  I drove the next day.

I was able to wash my hair and get the incision wet that night (that made me very happy).

Don't be too nervous - this one is definitely a piece of cake compared to the AN surgery.

It'll be worth it!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.