Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 2746 times)

cajungrl37

Newbie here
« on: May 24, 2006, 09:25:14 pm »
  Hi everyone, I just want to introduce myself to your group.  I am 37 years old and was diagnosed with a 4 cm AN in May 2005 and had a hypoglossal anastomosis in August 2005.  I have lost all hearing on my left side.  My symptoms started with a stopped up ear.  Then, the off-balance and dizziness.  It wasn't until I was getting such pounding headaches that I sought treatment.  Needless to say, "brain tumor" was the last thing I expected to hear.  I am back at work, which I was out for about 5 months total.  Since then, everything has been such an emotional rollercoaster.  I was told about the AN forum through a friend I have been talking with through email.  She has been a great help.  It's nice knowning there is a group out there that one can turn to.

Well, I just wanted to drop a few lines. Thanks for being here.
4 cm - left
Removed May 9, 2005
hypoglossal facial anastomosis - Aug. 2005
Ochsner Hospital - New Orleans

Battyp

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 03:12:09 am »
WOW!  4CM and back to work...you're my hero!!  What is it you do? 
Sounds like you're doing ok? 
Welcome to the club 8)

Patti

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 07:41:10 am »
i was diagnosed with a 4 cm tumor at the age of 38.  i didn't make it back to work (teaching).  i am now 43 and wake up some days (like today) mourning the loss of my career.  what kind of work do you do?  congratulations on your comeback!!!  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

nickel

• If God brings you to it~He'll bring you through it
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 08:21:05 am »
Welcom to the group.  I am new to the site also, and yes nice knowing there are others like us.  What a blessing to be able to share and seek help from others who know what you're going through ;D  I have bilateral AN, diagnosed in fall '92 started with same symptoms as you stopped up ear, loss of hearing, loss of balance etc...left side TRANSLAB Feb. '93, GN both sides summer/fall '93, complete Deafness by Jan '94.  No symptoms or problems for 13 years and now I am showing regrowth and have facial paralysis and have to go through the whole process again.  I know what you mean emotional rollercoaster.  At least we have others here for support, and so far they are great ;D ;D ;D

Keep your chin up and think of the positive, it could be worse right??!!??
Nickel
Bilateral AN left 4.0+ cm/right 3.5+ cm, left-partial TRANSLAB w/GN '93, right-GN '93.  Today, regrowth of both, scheduled left TRANSLAB w/facial nerve graph in July '06.

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 08:42:16 am »
As has been said, "WOW", a 4cm and you were back at it in 5 months.  I just had translab 6 weeks ago (approx) and am as good as I was before, which I suppose doesn't say much for my before:-)  I've been very blessed with my recovery and I think part of it had to do with my finding this forum.  These folks are wonderful!  Glad to hear you are back functioning.  Good luck on a full recovery.

Dale
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

cajungrl37

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 06:49:30 pm »
It was nice hearing from some of you.  After my surgery, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get back to work with a few complications I had a few weeks after surgery.  I work at a hospital as a medical transcriptionist, (14 years at the same hospital).

I still have my headaches, but nothing "tumor" related.  I am dealing with a lot of things because of my facial paralysis, although it has gotten somewhat better, but I often wonder, will I ever be "me" again?

Hope you all have a good night, catch yall later.
4 cm - left
Removed May 9, 2005
hypoglossal facial anastomosis - Aug. 2005
Ochsner Hospital - New Orleans

cookiesecond

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 08:43:43 pm »
Hi Cajungrl37 and nickel,
Welcome to our group.Sorry you had to join us but you are in the right place if you are looking for information or just a place to vent. There are lots of great people here with lots of wisdom and encouragement to offer.I have been enjoying this forum for a year now. I had surgery 9 months ago and have really enjoyed my cyber friends. Each AN journey seems to be a little different but there's always somebody that understands where you are in your journey. Family and friends are great but someone who has heard those dreaded words "brain tumor" just connects in an awesome way.
I will have to echo - 4 cm and back to work!!!! Great!!!
I had a 3cm An removed 8-2-05 and I still have a few lingering issues but I am really counting on feeling a lot better at the 1 year mark. I first thought 6 months and then my doctor said 1 year.?
Take care and keep posting,
Lynn