Author Topic: Life is looking good and then the AN shows up  (Read 4211 times)

thornapple

Re: Life is looking good and then the AN shows up
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 05:51:09 am »
was in the process of trying to getting pregnant with baby number 2 when i found out

Sorry, Trish, ROFLMAO, the mind picture this gives me...thanks for starting my day with a huge belly laugh!  ;D  Love it.

Nancy, it is a shock to find out. It knocked me for a loop. For years they told me I don't have one, and now they tell me I DO????? After all these years of doctors assuming I am some kind of hysterical woman, they actually DID find something wrong? Well, it was satisfying, actually. Doctors blew me off for YEARS. Can't tell you quite what that is like. VINDICATION is what I felt, I think; I wanted to go back to the ten previous docs and rub their arrogant noses in my diagnosis.

You are going to be OK, really.

My diagnosis was given to me over my cell phone while I was driving down the freeway, and the doctor was talking to me on HIS cell phone, driving down another freeway. It was nuts. I pulled off into a shopping mall and sat there trying to absorb it.

I'm still trying to....and it is several years later. Apparently it's a process....but life does, indeed, go on.

Denisex2boys

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 08:12:52 am »
I can totally relate to the shock of it all - I had sudden severe hearing loss (immediate) while grocery shopping with my son at Christmas time 2006.  I felt my ear close up and this horrible closed in, vacuum seal took effect - - I ignored it thinking it was an infection - and was even given drops for it - - but the hearing never came back - I too was given an MRI to 'rule' out' an AN - and then bammo there it was ...... when I went to the ENT for the results it had been a couple of weeks from the MRI - so I thought it would be nothing - I took no one to the follow-up appointment with me and BOOM - I was told I had a brain tumor!!!!  I have NEVER had a panic attack - but I sure did that day.

I have two young boys and I suddenly saw my mortality and it scared the crap right out of me!!!!!  I was addicted to this Board as well - the people here are a WONDERFUL support - but I learned all I could about this and - 'yes, it is scary' - but it is also BENIGN and we have to all be thankful for that - I too had to take a break .... kind of like 'outta site outta mind' - would I wish this on anyone - NO!  I am one of the one's still anxiously awaiting my surgery date - - so for now I want to enjoy the summer, my kids and 'try' not to worry about it - - my hubby has an awesome attitude about things like this and basically says we are all dealt different hands in life and we just need to know how to play them ..... we can either be optimistic and accept and learn all we can - or we can choose to crawl in a corner ........  I am scared of the outcome - - but at the same time am thankful ...... that this is something that can be removed and is not terminal.

...... and - sorry to go on ..... things do happen for a reason (ie. not hearing of my surgery date yet) - - my husband has been suffering for a couple of years with numbness and pain in his hands and forearms - he has to have his first carpel tunnel surgery on the 3rd of July and then the second arm a couple of weeks after that - so there is no way we could both be 'down' a the same time - especially with an 8 and 4 year old ........  we joked that this summer on the beach I would be walking around wearing a turban and he oven mitts :)
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 10:53:52 am »
Denise -

not a nice diagnosis story  :(  but I'm glad to see you posting.  It's been a while.

I was going to ask if you had a date yet, but I see you don't.  I also forgot that the game plan was for your husband to have his surgeries first.

Hope everything goes well for him and that his surgeries solve his pain and numbness issues.

Please let us know how things turn out for him.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeff

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 10:58:12 am »
Yes, it is like a punch in the stomach being diagnosed.

6 years ago, i finished a masters degree in music, found a job working with great people and students, in a town/state where my wife and I wanted to raise our then 2 year old daughter.

And then.....wham! I had headache issues that were unresolved by sinus medicine. So, my doctor ordered a CT scan.

After the scan, the radiologist called me into his office.

I knew that I was in trouble when he started by saying: "Let me start by showning you a normal brain. "

I sent my films to Barrow Neurosurgical Associates and House Ear Clinic. Both gave the same advice: Learn sign language and learn a new profession because you will be deaf.

And they were right.

Yes, we can all relate. AN diagnosis is life-altering. It forces one to evaluate their life and priorities. It helps to distill these things.

Yes, diagnosis is tough. And yes, you can get through it. Please let me know if I can help.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 11:16:16 am »
Denise:

We can certainly sympathize with your emotions upon receiving your diagnosis and even now, as you await a surgery date.

The initial diagnosis is always somewhat scary but I admire your courage in facing the future and, to be honest, I think your husband's  relatively sanguine attitude toward life and it's problems is probably the most effective approach to take.  Your clear realization that an AN is not a death sentence is also something we tend to ignore when faced with the possible negative ramifications surgery may bring.  However, fear and worry won't alter the outcome of your surgery so I would continue your sensible plan to enjoy your summer (don't simply try - do it) and will also offer my best wishes for your husband's surgery, which I'm sure will be successful.  My wife had the same surgery about a decade ago and had no complications, so I'm sure your husband will do just fine.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 11:30:08 am »
  An AN diagnosis is probably a surprise for most of us.  I don't know who said it, but I like the quote, "Life is what happens while you're planning something else."
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW