Author Topic: Back in GA after Translab  (Read 10694 times)

cindyj

Back in GA after Translab
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:00:43 pm »
Hi ALL!!!

Boy, I hope everyone is ok!  Have missed being here, but my eye just is not cooperating enough for me to read and/or type for any length of time.  I had so wanted to chronicle my little adventure like so many of you other posties did, but just couldn't seem to do it...

Anyway, I made it home on Wed and am feeling much more like "me" now...the new me, I guess.  I am assuming things will continue to change in my head for awhile, so I'm not too concerned about how strange things feel in my head and ear right now.  Whoever described it as like a tennis ball in the head, was exactly right!  The SSD is not as bad in some ways as I was expecting, but in other ways, it is more annoying than I was expecting.  Again, I assume this will all change somewhat over the next few weeks/months, so I'll hold off judging til later.

My energy is coming back pretty quickly, I think.  I'm down to a nap in the morning and one in the afternoon which is a huge difference from just last week when I could barely get off the bed in the hotel room!

Wonky head is in full force, however!  Know this will take time, but this and my dry eye are my biggest complaint, if I can still  complain awhile...My face is starting to tingle at times, so I suppose the facial nerve is trying to correct itself.  Definitely have the pirate smile going!  But, I know I am very fortunate to be doing as well as I am.  As I think I mentioned in my first post back (no telling what I said in that one), I have been walking without assistance from the very beginning and never feel like I'm in danger of falling.  However, I did get on my Wii Fit last night and found out very quickly that my balance is indeed VERY off!  I will start doing some of the excercises/games on there next week, hopefully.

Well, anyway, I just wanted to say "hi" and let you know I'm doing well.  I do hope to write up something with more details about my days in the hospital at some point - in hopes of helping the pre-posties out there.  All of the surgical accounts out here helped me so much as I was laying in the hospital - I knew that everything I was going through was normal and many, many of you had been in the exact same spot and made it through beautifully.

Once again, thanks to ALL of you here for all your support this year and throughout my hospital stay.  And another big thanks to David and Mathilda for taking time to meet with me prior to surgery - it meant so much to us...and a HUGE super thank you to my wonderful tour guide, Nancy!  She made my trip to LA one that I will remember as special in so many ways having nothing in the world to do with surgery!

Hugs to you all,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

Re: Back in GA after Translab
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:12:41 pm »
Cindy~
Glad you are back home safe & sound and doing well!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:51:06 pm »
Hi Cindy,

Welcome back! It is great that you are over the fatigue, and can participate in the daily activities now. As you know, it is one day at a time for a while. From other posts, I gather there are various milestones, including the 3 week wall, the 6 week wall, etc. where it seems like recovery has stopped, but then it picks up again. Be a patient patient!

Take your time on the big blog, we would like to have it, but your own recovery comes first. It does sound like the LA reception is really good, I wonder if they can keep that up all the time? Best wishes to you,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:43:18 pm »
Cindy,

Welcome home -- sounds as though you're coming along just fine! Keep up the good progress, but don't overdo.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
Cindy,
Gllad to hear you are home and doing well.  Being as active as you are comfortable  being is a good idea, but don't push too hard.   I look forward to reading about your progress in the coming weeks.  In the meantime, now htat you're home I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Best wishes for a speedy and uneventul recovery,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 04:26:46 pm »
Welcome home, Cindy!  It sounds like you are doing great - even with your new "altered reality."  It does take some time to get used to how the world feels and sounds post surgery - give yourself time and don't overdo it!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

NL

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 12:18:28 am »
Hey Cindy!

So glad to see you posting from the comfort of your own home! I'm glad your energy is starting to come back - just remember that sometimes it's hard to judge how much you have - or "don't" have. ;)

I'm so happy the "tour" helped you come home with images of LA beyond the view from St. Vincent's. (Which isn't bad from a west-facing room.:))   

Looking forward to hearing more when you're able. Please say hello to your mom & Brad, too.

Take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving -  I hope Brad's cooking this year!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 06:02:29 am »
Welcome home Cindy and congratulations on what sounds like a good recovery.  Take it easy on yourself.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 07:56:27 am »
.....Rising up on the balls of feet, clicking heels together three times

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME, THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!

Welcome back, so very happy for you!  Enjoy your life and the new you! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 11:38:13 am »
Welcome home, Cindy--there ain't no place like it!  Glad you made it through surgery with flying colors and no big bugaboos.  Dr Rick is the best! And a real cutie too, n'est, pas?
So rest up, heal, and let someone else overcook the turkey this year!

Big Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:18:01 pm »
Thanks everyone! 

Well, I'm seeing what you all mean about watching out for the fatigue...today I have done nothing but nap and eat - amazing to me.  But, I'm going to try to just not fight it.  Steve, I'll be watching for those "walls" you mention as well.

Brad thinks my eye is working a bit better, but I can't tell any change.   And while my mouth still isn't working right, I am managing to stuff plenty of food in there :D

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

GRACE1

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 02:21:32 pm »
Welcome home from 1 Georgia peach to another.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 02:36:26 pm »
Eating is a good sign!  My mouth still doesn't work right, but that doesn't stop me from eating most things (except sandwiches ...)

Debbi, sending you good thoughts
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 03:28:42 pm »
Hi, Cindy:

Great to learn that you're home and that your recovery seems to be moving right along, although its never as fast as we would like!  I suspect you'll regain your balance and that the other issues will subside in time, as they usually do.  I've long maintained that AN patients recuperate faster at home than in the hospital, but I assume that's a fairly common belief.  The increase in your stamina is also encourging but don't be lulled into assuming you can immediately do eveything you used to do.  Pace yourself.  I'm pleased to learn that the forums have been such a help to you, Cindy.  That's their purpose.  :)

I hope you'll have a pleasant Thanksgiving and we look forward to your posts, whenever and in whatever form is convenient for you. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MKLady

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 09:36:37 am »
Cindy,

It is so good to hear from  you.  I'm glad you are back in Georgia.  THere is no place like home.  Rest, rest, rest.  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.