Author Topic: SURGERY COMPLETE!!! NOV 4th  (Read 3956 times)

Carson

SURGERY COMPLETE!!! NOV 4th
« on: November 05, 2008, 08:15:26 am »
FYI everyone,

Dad's surgery went very well!!  We arrived at 5:30am 3 waiting rooms later they took him to preop at 6:15, in the OR at 7 and began on time at 7:30.  The hospital gave us a number and they had screens up throughout the waiting area (which was a huge atrium.  Very nice I might add.....except our family as well as the other families there all agreed they should have a huge play area for kids...like they do at malls... ;)) this number allowed you to track the process of your family member at what point their surgery was in....pre op, in OR , Recovery, and dismissed.  It showed the times as well.  I thought this was very very neat!  The surgery nurse called out every 2 hours (as we requested) to give us updates.  Surgery took a little over 9 hours.  The drilling alone to get it took 5 hours, ya just dont realize how long that takes.  I guess all the TV shows make it look so easy!!  It was a very long day.....to say the least!!  At 5:35pm  He was moved to recovery.

About 6:15pm Dr Welling came out and sat down with the entire family( he pulled a chair right up the our entourage)....he let us know what to expect when we saw him....ex. he would have ahuge wrap on the right side of his head....the right side of his face would be "druppy" b/c it was weak do to surgery.  He told us that all in all it went very very well....Dad was a trooper....the tumor did in fact look benign as expected that the facial nerve was fully intact and it came off of the stem of the brain with no problems.  Dr Welling answered everyones questions and then he turned to all of us and thanked everyone for coming up.  He said he loved to come out and see so many people praying and being supportive.  I thought that was a very wonderful thing for him to say to a family!!!  It made me realize that he didnt look at my Dad as just another patient or us as just another family he really understood that even though he does this everyday, we dont!! 

About 7:30pm my Mom and I got to go back and see him.....they would have let us all go back 2 at a time but everyone packed up to go home (back to Zanesville).  I was prepared to see him but when its your loved one.....it still hits ya kinda hard no matter how prepared!!!  My Dad has never ever had any surgery the most he has ever had was teeth fixed and stitches!  So I knew this would be hellacious for him!!  We went in and he was just kinda moaning and kept repeating "Oh my god" over and over!!  His speech was slurred a bit but he looked at me and asked if they had got it all out.  I told him yes and I also let him know that Dr Welling was impressed with how well he did......my dad the goof ball he is.... said "why??  I didnt do anything!!"  It was good to hear him joke even in lala land!!   ;D    He told my mom and I that he loved us!!!  He kept saying he couldnt lay his hand down he!!  He couldnt lay his left hand down all the way b/c the had the oxygen rate device on his finger and it was holding his finger up....He said his back hurt (as you recall he has a twisted spine) but the meds were helping that.  He also kept telling us he was really tired!!  We let him know that he needed to just relax, obviously that would be difficult!! 

....My mom decided not to stay at the hospital so we came home.  The nurse assured us she would take good care of him and told us to call whenever we wanted.  My mom called 3 times throughout the night.  This morning they told her that he has said he is feeling much better . We are getting ready now and going up at 10. 

Thanks for everyones prayers and support.  It has really made a huge difference for my entire family!!!  Being able to ask questions and do research (if you will) on a personal level is a blessing!!

I will keep you updated!!

Loving daughter to my
Father recovering from AN surgery
9/4/08 at The Ohio State University Medical Center
Dr. Welling and Dr. McGregor
GO BUCKS!!!

Kaybo

Re: SURGERY COMPLETE!!! NOV 4th
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:43:22 am »
Carson~
So glad that everything went well and prayers were answered for a successful surgery!!  Reminder to all: PATIENCE!!

I will continue the prayers for a great recovery.

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:02:06 am »
This is wonderful news about your dad, thank you for updating us.  I know with your support, the support from your mom and other family members your father will be up and walking in no time! 

Keep reminding him to be patient with his "healing" as fatigue plays a huge role and not very much understood by the patient in the beginning.  Balance/eye issues will challenge his patience, so keep this in mind when/if he grumbles about it. 

The day after surgery is the the first day of his new normal life.  BRAVO! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:16:37 am »
Carson:

Thanks so much for the informative update on your dad's surgery.  It seems as if he did very well and both the doctor and the facility were a great help to you and the family.  If your dad is anything like me, he will be impatient and perhaps a bit cranky for awhile but that should quickly fade as he improves .  Your wholehearted support for your dad is admirable.  We all wish him a rapid and complete recovery.  Please know that he'll be in the prayers of many.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MKLady

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:40:46 am »
Carson,

That's great news.  It sounds like he is in the hands of a very compassionate surgeon. The scarey part is over and now he can begin healing.

I agree with Arushi.  He will be very tired for a long time.  Encourage him to listen to what his body is saying and rest, rest, rest. 

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

hannie

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 11:30:09 am »
I'm so glad that your dad's surgery went well. Fingers crossed he has a smooth recovery now. My prayers are with him and all his family.

Hannie

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:46:19 am »
Carson, Your Dad has earned the right to complain alot.  So, hang in there.  I am so glad to read your news.  So many of us went through the surgery and we know just where your Dad is right now.  Write to us and we can commiserate with you.  My prayers are with you and the family for a smooth recovery and healing of the op site.   

One tip:  For the next several weeks, do all of your Dad's bending over below the knees for him.  He should not to pick up anything from the floor, not even shoes or the paper.  ;D  I have a Grabbit to fetch things.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:49:04 am by Boppie »

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:36:12 pm »
Carson,
  Glad to hear things are going as expected.  Here's hoping for your Dad's continuing recover.  In some ways the day of surgery is as rough on the family as it is on the patient.  As patients, we get to "sleep" through it.  But family members get to worry about how things are going. 
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 12:40:32 pm »
Carson,
Glad your father's surgery went well.....He will be in my prayers as everyone else is.  We are one big family here.  Keep us posted on his progess  ;D
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:12 pm »
Carson -

I'm so relieved to hear your dad's surgery went well - and I'm sure that you and the rest of your family are relieved also  :)

Dr. Welling sounds like a a very good doctor - IMO concern for the patient's family, in addition to the patient, is always impressive.  As you say, docs do this kind of stuff every day so it's somewhat routine for them; it's nice when they take the time to remember that to the rest of us it's a much bigger deal.

I'm happy your dad had a peaceful night.  It's sounds like he's on the right track for recovery; things should improve for him a little bit every day.  Fatigue will continue to be a huge issue for him for a while - like K said "patience".

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 08:36:41 pm »
Carson,
Thanks for the update -- it's great to hear your dad is doing so well.  He really sounds like a trouper!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:44:45 pm »
Good, good, good. Wake up your dad in a week, and see how he's doing. Meanwhile, let him sleep a lot. :)

Let us know when he's home, and take care.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.