Author Topic: 2 YEAR check up and sooo confused !!  (Read 2249 times)

ALICAM

2 YEAR check up and sooo confused !!
« on: February 22, 2010, 10:37:23 am »
 Hi guys
Sorry I haven't posted in a while ( still reading though!).
I had my 2 year check up in Manchester and although I havent had the actual regrowth size, the little blighter is still there.,attached to my carotid artery. It kind of freaked me out as I hadnt actually asked much about carotid artery and it's purpose.... and his words were ' well thats what keeps the brain alive' !!! AAAAHHHHHH not really calming but he assures me that the regrowth is not at a stage yet where we need to do anything.
What I wasn't expecting was that he suggested I get a BAHA.Of course I had never heard of this and he explained and then told me to go home and think about it and do a trial......still not sure what to do about that....any advice ??Does it really make you believe that you can hear in both ears? Maybe I have got used to the deafness and hearing might be weirder ??
So, also he thinks I need another vocal chord op to try and improve my voice, as the first op done here in Ireland hasn't helped that much. Again, not sure whether I should do this or not.... and finally, although important to me, he has suggested that I get a brow lift to try and give more symmetry to my face and improve the look of the facial paralysis. Has anyone had this done ? Of course, being a woman and wanting to look as normal as possible, I think I may try this surgey.......is that too vain, to want to get surgery for my face but not for my voice ?
I have been spending weeks trying to decide what to do but would love to hear from you guys, as its hard to get a real answer from family who just don't want me to have any more surgery.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: 2 YEAR check up and sooo confused !!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:48:51 pm »
Hi Alicam:  I also have facial paraylsis.  I was too scared to do the 7/12 jump (+ I was 50yo @ the time), so I opted for the T3 = Temporalis Tendon Transfer.  It lifted my face,  made speaking easier,  & at the time I had that done they had to lift the other side for symmetry - so I had a face lift, brow lift & I am sooo happy with the results.  Google the name of the surgery, I think there's a doctor in England who does this surgery - I remember reading about a lady there who had it done & she looked wonderful afterwards.  No, you are NOT being vain - no one wants to walk around with an a-symmetric face & all the problems that go with it.  I still have issues pronouncing some letters, but not nearly as bad as before the surgery.   I have partial vocal chord paralysis,  so I just try not to speak too much (I have to at work, but give it lots of rest @ home - thank God for the internet !).
Hope this helps.  Best wishes,  Always good thoughts,   Nancy
ps:  pictures of my before/after are under Facial Issues:  Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer (right now I think it's pg. 4 but that changes all the time as other subjects are added).
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ALICAM

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:14:14 am »
Nancy,
Thanks so much for replying ! I read in one of your posts that you had the eye lid op too. I was thinking of that along with the brow lift as my right eye, that is more closed would really benefit from this and of course I believe improve the symmetry when the other eye is done. I'm going to look up the T3 op now, but it seems like a really big op !!
Thanks again, I really appreciate the reply !
Alison

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:06 am »
Alicam:  Looking back I wish I didn't get the lower non paralyzed side eyelid done b/c now it's flat & my AN eye has a slight bump on the lower lid from the surgeries, so they're less symmetrical (oh well, live & learn).  Yes,  I had the extreme makeover ! !
The T3 was tougher on me than the AN surgery:  it was a 10 hour surgery & b/c I had such extensive work done, I was sooo swollen (my poor mom - 82 yo at the time said immediately post op all she could see was the tip of my nose!).  I could only drink from a straw the 1st week (had to take my meds that way too).  But if I had to do it all again I would in a heartbeat (except for the lower non-AN eyelid !).
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis