Author Topic: balance tests and hearing tests  (Read 3727 times)

opp2

balance tests and hearing tests
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:04:38 pm »
I had my balance and hearing tests this morning.

I was very pleased to find that I am not nuts, and I scored 96% on the speech discrimination tests. I also am no surprised that there was zero reaction on the vestibular testing on the 'water test'. I got a dose of cold water after the hot water simply because I had no reaction to the hot water. Trust me, stick to the warm water. The cold hurts! But then it got rid of the headache I've had behind my eye for the past three days.

My surgeon Dr. Guha did tell me he would do retro sigmoid if I wanted, and if I asked him to, would intentionally leave some tumour behind to mitigate the risk to the facial nerve.

All in all a surprising day.

Off to Vancouver in the am. I"m sure I"ll log on out there, can't go anywhere without my PC!

ttfn
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Re: balance tests and hearing tests
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:26:47 am »
Water test?  I must admit that I have never heard of that.  My neurologist just did a very simple balance test, and took my word for it that I was dizzy.  Would you mind explaining the water test?  I am curious.   ;D

9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:58:28 am »
I also had the water test, they spray warm then cold water in your ear for about 30 sec. and when they stop you will feel like you just got off a fast spinning merry-go-round, if your balance nerve is working properly.  If it isn't working at all like mine before surgery you don't feel anything except wet ear.  Alot of ANs grow on the balance nerve and because they grow slow alot of times the balance nerve will be destroyed or damaged without you noticing it.  My right side balance nerve took over really well without me knowing the left nerve wasn't working at all.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

opp2

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 01:55:43 pm »
That's the one. I also had to sit up with my eyes closed and they would pull you back very quickly and lay your head over the edge of the table either right or left, then see what happened. There are electrodes attached to your face around the eyes.

I had to sit up straight, close my eyes and shake my head back and forth vigorously for 15 seconds and then stop and open my eyes. She said I should or may get a bad headache (no) and feel dizzy. I felt pretty good.

Then the water test, lying on my back, I saw 42c on the machine but it was likely cooler than that, into the left then the right. Then cold 10c only the left ear. I felt really dizzy only on the right side.

That's it. I"m in beautiful, sunny Vancouver right now. I heard it's been raining here for two weeks so everyone is in a really good mood because the sun is out. I'm off for a run to see the sights. :-)
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:58:35 pm »

I was very pleased to find that I am not nuts,

Well I'm not a doctor and I could have told you that  :) You definitely are not nuts.

Never had a water test myself, but it doesn't sound like fun.

Regarding the retrosigmoid with some tumor left behind.  I'm assuming you would have the remainder radiated?  Correct?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

opp2

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 03:31:28 pm »
Yes, if it starts to grow. The intention would be to watch the rest for a recovery period from surgery. Then after the first mri check the size and discuss the course of treatment or watch and wait.