Author Topic: It`s great getting older!  (Read 4690 times)

Mickey

It`s great getting older!
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:36:48 am »
Although basicly I do feel pretty good for my age (61 W+W) I guess there are many things that "pop up" which you wish didn`t and what you wish did, don`t. haha  Anyhow the latest for me is having to take flomax to keep the bladder emptying properly along with the synthroid to keep the metabolism rate higher (slow thyroid). What gets me also is to watch out for "reactions" to the medicine? Having an AN I wouldn`t be able to tell the difference. haha  My ears been ringing for thirty years among a few other little inuendos. Well just letting off a little steam, considering all is good. Best wishes, Mickey

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: It`s great getting older!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:55:14 am »
And best wishes back at ya, Mickey. I hope you had a pleasant Thanksgiving and will have a great Christmas.

I look forward to seeing you again at our next lunch this Spring (2010)!

Your friend,
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

epodjn

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:49:26 pm »
Well, I figure it this way, getting older is a heck of a lot better than the alternative. I can totally understand your dismay over your new meds. I have also recently been given meds i never, EVER thought I would be on. For me it's heart meds. It sure makes you feel vulnerable. And that long list of side effects is positively scary. But. . .so far, so good. And the doc says my last heart test showed that with the meds my heart is beating better so I guess I'll keep taking it. But I sure do know what you mean.
Julie
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:13:22 pm »
Mickey -

my dad turned 80 the day after Thanksgiving and he's been through lots of medical stuff (3 hip replacements, 5-way bypass, back surgery, rotator cuff surgery, had one kidney removed) and he'll be having cataract surgery early next year. 

I'll tell you what he always tells me - it's all just a bump in the road  ;D

Like my dad, you have a great attitude.

And Julie's right - getting older is a heck of a lot better than the alternative!

Jan (living to be 113)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jerseyboy

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:50:34 pm »
Hi Mickey,
I remember meeting you at our tri-state AN brunch in NYC on November 7.  I'm the guy older than you at 63.  Since our brunch I've been busy and (1) talked with Dr. House of the HEI, and met with (2) Dr. Choe of Mount Sinai in NYC, and (3) Doctors Link and Driscoll of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.  I have a very small 4mm AN, but have been highly symptomatic for nearly a year with sporatic dizziness and daily pulsating, migrating headaches.  The headaches have substantially created a terrible quality of life.  Well, I've recently learned, primarily from Dr. Choe (thank you for the referral, Wendy!), that my headaches were due to the meds!  I was okay with the Flomax (frequent urination), Lipitor (high collesteral), and Zolipidem (Ambien) (sleeping), but not the Benazepril (high blood pressure).  At the suggestion of Dr. Choe I changed high blood pressure medication (to Inderal), and my headaches of ONE YEAR rapidly and completely went away!  So, one needs to be very alert with meds as to whether any symptoms are due to the AN or a "pharmacological" situation.  (I owe Wendy a lobster/caviar lunch!)
Jeff     
Watch and wait since May 2009.

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:35:44 am »
Hi all! Jeff I see that you changed your meds. These are the things you have to watch out for. Glad to see your feeling better and your symptoms have improved. I had to get off the flo max and on to advart . Flo max upset my stomach. Yes, I do appreciate the alternative of getting older. One thing also is you meet a heck of alot of nice people. Looking fowards to future get togethers, talking on line, and the holidays. Happy holiday all! God bless, Mickey P.S. Neal, I`m gettin ready to open that bottle you suggested, thanks buddy!

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 08:01:28 am »
Mickey,,, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post today!!!  I was scanning down the W&W and saw the heading "it's great getting older!" and read it.
Great sense of humour!  Even tho you were letting off steam... it was a short but fun post.. thanks for making me smile today!
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co