Author Topic: Got my MRI results today  (Read 5726 times)

novagirl

Got my MRI results today
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:23:47 am »
Hi everyone - well, I had my follow-up MRI this Wed (the first one was taken in July) and got the radiologist's report this morning. It basically states: stable examination since 7/23/09. The lesion is stable in size and enhancement characteristics when compared with previous examination.  [Big sigh of relief]

I have the first MRI report at home so will compare it tonight, but the measurements look slightly different (a couple of mm less), which as I understand it is within the margin of error (the MRI was taken on the same machine).  I also don't quite understand how they measure the thing. They have one set of measurements for the component within the IAC, and then another set of measurements for the component within the CPA. So I don't even know how big it is. Do I need to add anything up? My neuro says that the most important measurement is within the CPA.

So far Friday the 13th has been good to me :).
Right AN 10 x 10 x 7 mm - dx 7/28/09; w&w for three years
CK at Stanford October 2012 - Dr. Chang and Dr. Soltys
Oct'12: 15 x 14 x 10 mm
Oct'14: 12 x 6 x 5 mm

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Got my MRI results today
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:45:18 am »
Hi Novagirl .....

Somehow I totally missed your "Radio not for young people ...." thread until now.  A hugely belated welcome to the forum!!  ..... and congratulations that your recent MRI apparently shows no growth.  That means you can probably safely stay in a wait and watch mode until you have a very clear picture of your treatment options.

As for MRI measurements:  there seems to be some difference of opinion on this.  My diagnosing MRI was several mm different in size depending upon who was looking at it ..... and they were all looking at the same pictures!  If I am correct, ANs (or more properly vestibular schwannomas) start growing on the outside layer of the vestibular nerve.  More often this is within the internal auditory canal, but can start anywhere along the length of it.  Some doctors discount the tail when it begins to go outside the IAC, towards the CPA.  It sounds like in your case the AN is already encroaching on the cerebellopontine angle so that is what the neuro is watching.

I think the important thing is that it is basically unchanged.  Have you seen the neuro since this MRI?  Have your symptoms changed since your first MRI?

Best wishes and let us know.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 08:51:04 am »
Congrats on "good MRI" news!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

novagirl

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:07:01 am »
Hi Clarice and Nickittynic,

Thank you for your messages.
To respond to your questions, Clarice, I haven't had any new symptoms. In fact, I feel a little better: less fullness in ear, better hearing, no dizzy spells. I had increased symptoms right after the diagnosis (which was probably due to the initial shock of finding out about the AN), but then gradually things went back to normal.  I definitely feel worse when the weather changes or if I don't get enough sleep.

But absence of symptoms is the reason I am seriously considering CK over surgery. My doctor's appointment to go over the MRI results is on Wed, the 18th. But when I saw him in August, he basically said, if the tumor is stable in November, I can wait another 6 months. We'll see...

At this point, I am happy there is no change and will take it one day at a time.
Best wishes to everyone.

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:27:16 am »
Good news Novagirl! My AN is around the same size as yours and has come back stable for over 2 years. Up to yearly MRI`s which as long as they stay stable with no bad symptoms, no intervention for me. Keep the faith, best wishes, Mickey

novagirl

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 10:37:12 am »
Hi Mickey - thank you for your message. I've read your posts and they are very encouraging to those of us still in the wait and watch status. I am definitely keeping the faith, which in my case amounts to a lot of daily praying. I know it's easy to get depressed and discouraged, but I do believe that knowing that God is good, really helps.

Mickey

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 10:56:13 am »
Novagirl, Please don`t get discouraged or depressed. With something like this stay as healthy as you can, naturally. With todays technology no matter what you decide your going to be fine. I know how you feel  with a wakeup call like we got, but the advantage is to stay healthy and in the long run will probably help us in the future to grow gracefully. Prayers and faith are good !  Best wishes, Mickey

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 05:44:10 pm »
Hi novagirl,

Lately I find myself replying late. Good news on your results. My 6 month MRI follow up was in Oct. 09, first the Neuro was sure that it had grown 2 mm, then when the MRI was reviewed by another neuro and 2 oncologist they could not determine for certain whether it was margin of error or actual growth. I don't really know how it works. I think mine was a little easier to measure as it is growing from the CPA downward, and therefore I assume the length was taken into consideration when I was told that although they can't determine growth they can confirm that it is now 20mm.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

novagirl

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 01:58:32 pm »
Hi - just had my consultation with the neuro and a radiation oncologist to go over the MRI results. Will W&W for another six months. If anything changes at that time, will probably have CK.  The docs agreed that this is a reasonable approach. I will also have an audiogram done at that time. I haven't noticed much change in my hearing, but wouldn't hurt to test it.

Do any of you get a weird sensation in their face on the AN side? I actually noticed this before I even knew abou the AN, it feels sort of like burning/tightness in the face/ear. I guess this means that the facial nerve is irritated.

Best wishes to everyone.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 04:48:25 pm »
Novagirl ~

I'm pleased to learn that your AN is stable and that you have a 'Plan B' if it shows growth in a later MRI.  Let's hope you can Watch-and-Wait for another decade or two.

From my perspective i.e. without any medical training, whatsoever, your facial sensations are very likely attributable to the naughty AN flirting with your facial nerves.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 05:03:50 pm »
Hi Novagirl .....

Good news on the MRI.  Re:  the weird sensation in your face.  As Jim said, it is most likely from pressure on your facial nerve by the AN.  However, I just wanted to make sure the doctors you saw are aware of this symptom, especially if it is getting worse.  It could be a factor in the treatment time schedule.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

novagirl

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 06:22:59 pm »
Jim and Clarice - thank you for your messages and support. The symptoms are not worse, like I said I've noticed this sensation in my face before I even knew about my AN.  The doctor did says if new/worse symptoms occur, I should come back.  I consider myself pretty lucky since I do have very minor symptoms. A lot of times, (especially if my mind is occupied with somethng), I even forget I have an AN!

Jim - your comment about "another decade or two" made me chuckle. Thank you :).

suboo73

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 07:22:18 am »
Hi novagirl!

Glad to hear your tumor is stable - awesome news!  ;D
As long as you don't experience some other symptoms, then W & W will work for now.
(I am right there with you!)
If you decide that the absence of symptoms means time for treatment, then just let us know...
We are here to support you no matter what.

My thoughts and prayers for you.
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W