Author Topic: Do you mix up words?  (Read 14805 times)

kristin

Re: Do you mix up words?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 08:38:25 am »
I am always doing this too. It's very frustrating if you ask me. My problem is usually not being able to think of the word I want to use....and they're usually really easy words, like...banana or something. I find if I can't think of the word, if I think of how to spell it for some reason it comes to my mind quicker. What really gets me off though is when I can't think of a word and my husband tries to guess over and over what word I'm looking for....grrrr. Makes me so frustrated!

Kristin in Montana
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Boppie

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 10:01:45 am »
Kristen, I am a retired English teacher and I've resorted to saying "the thingy",  when I forget a naming noun.  Soooo frustrating at times!   :-[

Pembo

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 10:19:13 am »
Kristin I have that problem too! And I feel as if all creative thought has left my mind. I was sitting in a grad class this summer and we were to brainstorm ideas for something and my mind was a complete blank! I couldn't think of a thing! Once other people started talking then my mind woke up!   Another scary feeling........

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 10:20:25 am »
YES!!!!!!!!!!  I mix up my words.  It can be frustrating.  My memory has gone kaput also.  The simplest things, like picking up a few groceries.  I had to call my husband last night to ask him what I was suppose to get.  We needed garlic, coffee cream and fresh peaches.  Do you think I could remember?  NO!

I also have a hard time remembering a short conversation I've have had, especially at work.  Now that can be very trying.  I have to repeat 9x's out of 10  how much money the customer wants to withdraw or deposit.  Hearing is an issue for sure, but my short term memory is just as much the problem.

It is interesting to see how many of us AN people have the same issues to contend with.  I thought it was me and a side effect from the anesethtic(sp). 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Boppie

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 03:43:48 pm »
There is visual memory and there is auditory memory.  Auditory memory is probably the one we struggle with after hearing loss.  Jotting a few words or numbers on a pad might help you to remember what you heard.  The next trick is to look at the pad for visual confirmation. 

lora

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 08:02:22 am »
My kids thought it was funny when I forgot what to call things--until I forgot what to call them!!!!  I mix their names up once in awhile--doesn't bother the girls so much as when I call my son "Danielle"!
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 10:37:30 am »

I mix words up like saying brother when mean sister... usually use an opposite
in replace of what I really meant to say or a near match ...

or the thing where I insert totally unrelated words in a sentence... refrigerator is my favorite..
went thru a spell of it popping up in sentences several times a day... I would sub it for a noun in
a sentence .. Give it to the refrigerator. instead of  Give it to the man.

The other thing is mixing all the right words within a sentence... The cat jumped of the bed. might
come out The bed jumped off the cat.... now the cat was happy but it bothers me

I have gotten odd looks from people I don't know well .. I don't always try to explain... at a PTO
officer meeting the other officers all started talking mixed up with me and we laughed so hard that
a teacher in a nearby room came to see what was going on... we didn't even try to explain

Sometimes I just can't remember a word or name...I introduced myself with my former last name yesterday
at a PTO /room parent meeting... it hasn't been my last name in 11 years... then I remembered it was my
ex husbands birthday and figured subconsciously he may have been on my mind...

Typing I have to check and recheck what I have eritten... writing out things long hand I have fewer
problems... I figure this has to do with the way my brain is wired ... I type faster but have to watch tip
of pen or pencil  so I am more aware of what is being put down... now that sound last part sounds 
confusing...hope you get what I mean... I re-wrote it to be clearer and it still isn't just right...

Long story short... I have learned to laugh about these bumps... it is better than getting upset and
crying...and also spell check here is a must...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

kristin

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 09:49:26 pm »

or the thing where I insert totally unrelated words in a sentence... refrigerator is my favorite..
went thru a spell of it popping up in sentences several times a day... I would sub it for a noun in
a sentence .. Give it to the refrigerator. instead of  Give it to the man.

ok...this totally cracked me up!! Refrigerator is MY word too!! I think I use it for every appliance we have in the house!!
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

johnsli

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 11:30:24 am »
I haven't even had treatment yet, and I transpose numbers and letters all the time.  If I go to the grocery store, I better bring a list because I will forget before I get to the store.  Also, my hearing loss seems to be getting worse, and it is so frustrating to ask what did you say?   My husband gets upset with me if I ask hiim twice, so he either gives up asking me or yells out what he said.  I know that this is the beginning of the journey, but, I have always had a mind like a steel trap.  I can remember things from years ago, but, I forget what someone may have told me an hour ago.  Two weeks ago I was processing payroll at work.  I checked everything out to make sure it was correct, printed all the reports and transferred all the funds to the proper accounts.  I went home that night at went to bed knowing something was bothering me, but, I couldn't figure it out.  The next morning at 5 AM, I was packing my husband and daughters lunch, and it hit me.  Did I transmit the payroll? I DIDN'T.  I had to go in and transmit and contact the payroll company to make sure that everyone would get paid the next day and delivered today.  Thank God I remembered.  I guess that's part of this crap of the AN.   My husband says maybe it's time for treatment and not wait and watch, but, as long as that is all I have to deal with right now, I guess I will wait till January for the next MRI, and go from there.

Thanks for listening.
Laura

vcschaub

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 02:21:46 pm »
Unbelievable!! The word I most mistakenly use is "refrigerator". There has to be something to that!!!!
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 07:36:51 pm »
that is odd that three of us use refrigerator instead of word we need....

refrigerator for me can be the truck, the door, the cat or any number of things...always
a noun ...something  scary is people are getting used to me and know what I mean even
though I said refrigerator.
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Boppie

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 08:41:06 pm »
Gosh, I have to admit I asked my hairdresser to figure out how much I should give her to get singles back for change.   :(  Some days numbers really confuse me.  I never ever had this trouble before.  I always did math with fractions, decimals, and hand calculations.  Now, my brain works like jello with numbers.

But facility with words is coming back very well.  Today I put 'admonition' in a question to my audiologist.  I was so impressed with myself!  ;D  Some of the word hamsters are sorting the files correctly! :D

kristin

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 09:03:37 pm »
ok, so I'm wondering...was your AN right or left? I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this problem or not, but the left brain is the word and number side of the brain....ya never know.
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
April 14, 2005

Boppie

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 10:09:06 pm »
My AN was right side.  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:15:19 pm by Boppie »

johnsli

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 09:12:08 am »
My AN is on my left side.  Go figure