Author Topic: Had my surgery on the 13th.  (Read 3255 times)

sdw79

Had my surgery on the 13th.
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:46:41 pm »
Well I had my an removed the 13th middle fossa, everything went great and was released the 16th.  I had my stitches removed today, my balance is still off but the facial nerve was preserved. I still have pain around my incision and they did not even prescribe me antibotiocs.  My ear feels like I have fluid in it but they say the feeling should go away in a few weeks, it was freaking me out thinking I have an infection.

suz

Re: Had my surgery on the 13th.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:54:16 pm »
Congrads on being a postie! (post-surgery)
I had my surgery (retro-sigmoid) on 7/14/10, so I am about a month ahead of you in recovery. Everyone recovers at a different pace, but if it helps - I still have the feeling of fluid in my ear. I had improved hearing on my AN side after surgery for about two days then the fluid set in and decreased hearing substantially on that side. I was told it could take a few months for that to resolve. Wonderful that your facial nerve was preserved. Balance issues take time and attention to resolve in my expereince thus far. If you haven't done so, check out the "balance issues" section of the post-treatment list.
There is such an amazing amount of info to help us after and before surgery on this DB.
Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

iluuvpups

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:02:48 pm »
Congratulations on your surgery!

I had my surgery at the end of May and it was translab.  I have had a continued feeling of fullness in my ear that really hasn't gone away.  Sometimes I feel like I'm up in an airplane and there is pressure on my ear drum.  Does this ever go away?
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:34:35 pm »
Congrats, postie!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 07:48:08 am »
Congratulations but I would suggest to do some Vestibular Therapy it does help each week I did notice I was able to do more and more ..

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:21:28 am »
Welcome to postie land, hopefully your balance improves quickly and remember to listen to your body.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 11:05:32 am »
Hey congratulations!! Only 3 days in the hospital, you sound like you are doing very well! Take care and keep us posted!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 01:54:42 pm »
sdw79 ~

Allow me to add my congratulations to the list!  A three-day hospital stay is relatively brief for AN surgery patients.  You seem to be recovering nicely, too, and I trust that will continue.  Well done!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sdw79

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 12:02:39 pm »
Well almost a month after surgery and I am feeling better, hearing is gradually getting better the only problem is that the incision area is still real sore, and for the past few days I get short stabbing pains.  I am taking Hydrocodone and it helps a little but the pain is still there.  Balance is good so overall I am doing good.

cin605

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 06:18:10 pm »
Congrats to you.....The scrarey parts over..time to concentrate on rest and recoup.
The fullness does eventually go away.......i was not prescribed any anti biotics either......no infection.YAY for you,,woot..wooot!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old