Author Topic: Just got second opinion of W&W for 6 months....  (Read 2733 times)

MBrennan

Just got second opinion of W&W for 6 months....
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:29:51 pm »
Which is different from the first opinion, which indicated "Get it out surgically in the next 6-7 months" .... *sigh*   now what?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Just got second opinion of W&W for 6 months....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:41:53 pm »
Molly ~

If one doctor advised you to undergo AN removal surgery now and another advised you to wait approximately six to seven months (to track growth, I assume) then my uneducated guess -I'm not a doctor - is that you can safely wait the six months, unless you are having severe symptoms or are too stressed over knowing the surgery is imminent and simply going ahead with it now seems like a better idea.  Of course, waiting until after the Christmas holidays to have the surgery is assumed.  Who wants to spend Christmas in a hospital - or in a fatigued, convalescent state at home?  Not you, I'm sure!  :)

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MBrennan

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:50:00 pm »
Yes, was not planning on having it over the holidays -- but that would be a very good excuse for not doing any holiday shopping or holiday cards, right?   :o   

Keeping Up

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:55:53 pm »
Aaaah the joys of ANs ... I am certain you could take 4 uber-experienced doctors and look at a tumor (say 1.5 cm or less, not up against the brain stem) and they could all present a valid yet different opinion - GK, CK, surgery or W&W for the exact same patient.

The bright side, you get a six month reprieve!

Good luck and may your fortunes continue.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'