Author Topic: Relapse - Regrowth of AN after 10 years!  (Read 7578 times)

shanne

Relapse - Regrowth of AN after 10 years!
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:32:55 am »
Dear All,

I have gone through a retro-mastoid surgery in year 2005 & managed to get 98% of my AN removed.
I've done yearly MRI since the excision until they have detected a regrowth this year in September.
I have since started getting very deep, sore & pricking pain in my head & I get bad headaches as well too.
My left face feels extremely uncomfortable with tight pulling nerves. I also get blurred speech sometimes.
My neurosurgeon suggest I go for another MRI in 6months time to check how fast the regrowth is.
Im just wondering if anyone is encountering the same as me in this forum.
It would be great to share information as well as provide mutual support.

Patti

Re: Relapse - Regrowth of AN after 10 years!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 04:30:07 pm »
What  is the size of the regrowth?
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

shanne

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 02:04:53 am »
Hi Patti,

There was a mass detected over the yearly MRIs I did for the past 10 years. The dimension of that mass was 1cm x 6mm x 8mm. My neurosurgeon says that could be due to the scar tissues of my brain surgery. This mass remained the same size for the past years too. However, in my latest MRI done in September this year, that same mass has now become 1.2cm x 7mm x 9mm. It shows a significant change in the dimensions & hence the radiologist have diagnosed this to be a relapse.

Patti

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 03:11:33 pm »
I am glad they are on top of it.  You will get a better handle on things in another 6 months-although the idea of it will be on your mind a lot.  It has been on mine.  I had retrosigmoid 15 years ago for a 4 cm mass.  I thought i was in the clear, but i had an MRI in August which shows it is back.  The previous MRI was done 4 years ago and didn't show any mass.  So I had stereotactic radiosurgery done for my new mass (3.1 cm x .86 cm) on November 6.  I have no problems to speak of.  The one piece of good news the doctor gave me might help you.  I asked about future side effects because I had read about swelling 6 months after SRS.  He said that he has found that people who have had previous brain surgery don't have as much of an issue with brain swelling because their brains actually have more space in them from the tissue removal the first time. I hope he's right! I would spend this time researching things so you know what the doctor is talking about in 6 months.  I couldn't believe mine came back!
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
cognitive issues

shanne

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 12:54:00 am »
Hi Patti,

Im sorry to hear that you too, suffered a relapse after an amazing 15 years! This simply shows that AN does come back even after so many years, hence, the frequent MRI reviews would be very helpful. I admired your courage in fighting with this tumor! My surgeon did mentioned about stereotactic surgery as he said I would have to go for it if the tumor grows very fast. My previous MRI was done in September 2015, im going for the next MRI in February 2016. I had been having bad headaches & that kind of pain can be quite "paralyzing". What I meant by "paralyzing" was whenever I have that pain in my head, I have to stop doing whatever im doing. The pain would go off several seconds. And I also get very tight tension in my numbed face on my left ( where I had the retromastoid done in 2005 ). It feels so tight that I thought it might snap anytime. I feel terrible & very frustrated over this. Normal painkillers doesn't help & I had to take Amitriptyline which my surgeon prescribed. This medication helps relieve the pain as well as the discomfort in my tight facial nerves. However, it makes me sleep a lot & extremely drowsy. Im unable to go to work when im on the medication as Im unable to focus as well as feel extremely tired.

How have you been feeling after your stereotactic surgery?
I hope you are healing well.

v357139

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 07:08:45 pm »
I have not had regrowth, but its only two years.  Just wanted to say sorry for your situation.  But you got through the last one, and you'll get through this too.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

LakeErie

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 08:45:38 am »
My surgeon had extensive experience with skull base tumors and told me he did not even read radiologists' reports because they do not view schwannomas and meningiomas every day as he does = my surgeon had done more than 1000 surgeries and that was 4 years ago. He said radiology reports often mis-measured tumors. My point is that you need an expert opinion on regrowth.
Also, Keck School of Medicine at USC and House together published a recent paper on regrowth of subtotal removals, it is online, and stated that regrowth can stop an start so treatment is not necessary immediately. Also, the report stated that regrowth itself did not necessarily  require more treatment in every case - sort of a watch and wait approach to residual tumors. Some cases in the study did require re-treatment at some point. There is another older study of residual tumors online from Harvard Med School with similar findings.
My residual tumor showed "progression" on an MRI Sept 2015 according to the radiology report, no increase in size, but greater enhancing in parts. I will have another MRI in a year and depending on the result will have the scan reviewed by an expert or two. My surgeon moved to CA so he is not my neurosurgeon any longer and I cannot rely on him for an opinion. Good luck to you
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:47:36 am by LakeErie »
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

ANGuy

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 03:06:52 pm »
My surgeon had extensive experience with skull base tumors and told me he did not even read radiologists' reports because they do not view schwannomas and meningiomas every day as he does = my surgeon had done more than 1000 surgeries and that was 4 years ago. He said radiology reports often mis-measured tumors. My point is that you need an expert opinion on regrowth.
Also, Keck School of Medicine at USC and House together published a recent paper on regrowth of subtotal removals, it is online, and stated that regrowth can stop an start so treatment is not necessary immediately. Also, the report stated that regrowth itself did not necessarily  require more treatment in every case - sort of a watch and wait approach to residual tumors. Some cases in the study did require re-treatment at some point. There is another older study of residual tumors online from Harvard Med School with similar findings.
My residual tumor showed "progression" on an MRI Sept 2015 according to the radiology report, no increase in size, but greater enhancing in parts. I will have another MRI in a year and depending on the result will have the scan reviewed by an expert or two. My surgeon moved to CA so he is not my neurosurgeon any longer and I cannot rely on him for an opinion. Good luck to you

A well written and informative post.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Patti

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 02:48:41 pm »
Sorry so long for a response.  I dropped something on my laptop and it has been out of commission from the internet!  $450 repair (thanks Apple!) and I am back.  No side effects yet since my radiation treatment on November 6th.  I also have to get a follow-up MRI in February, so we can compare notes.  I hope you are feeling better!
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
cognitive issues

Sheryl

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 06:11:14 pm »
We have a friend who is a neuroradiologist.  He says most reports are over-read and usually have cover your a-- wording such as, "possibly", "could be", "may be", "should be watched", should follow-up", etc.

Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 07:29:32 pm »
..I dropped something on my laptop and it has been out of commission from the internet!  $450 repair (thanks Apple!) and I am back. 

Patti - I thank you as do the many thousands of Apple shareholders worldwide. We welcome your occasional contributions to our very profitable retirement fund ;D

Take Care

Doc  ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:31:04 pm by Doc »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Patti

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 08:03:20 am »
that's funny Doc! it has been bad for apple lately! i am surprised.  everyone seems to have an i phone or apple computer!
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
cognitive issues