Author Topic: BAHA experience  (Read 10201 times)

Dave_S121

Re: BAHA experience
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 07:44:07 am »
Jennifer; I have had my BAHA for 2 months now.  What I have found out from my experience and from what other BAHA users have told me is that any benefit you receive from having a BAHA will probably depend on how well you hear out of your now "good" ear.  The BAHA will transfer sound from your deaf side to the hearing nerve in your good ear by bone conduction.  In my case the tumor was in what had been my good ear.  When I got my BAHA I noticed improvement, I could pick up and recognize sound from my deaf side, and I think my sound localization has improved in the last 2 months, but it wasn't helping me with sound and especially speech discrimination in the higher frequency range or an area where I have had hearing loss.  After adjusting to my BAHA I was fitted for a Canta7 hearing aid which really helped with my high frequency hearing loss.  There are other factors involved and your doctor should test you for your suitability for a BAHA.  If he does test you and you are able to hear speech and sound from your deaf side then by all means go for it.  I don't regret getting the BAHA it has helped but because of the hearing loss in my good ear not as much as I had hoped.  I hope this helps.

Dave
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

jenifyer

Re: BAHA experience
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2005, 02:26:19 pm »
Thanks Dave.  the hearing in my 'good' ear is what i am counting on!  the doctor thinks i am a good candidate so i am going to go for it.
jennifer