Author Topic: help with understanding time  (Read 5876 times)

Mary 117

help with understanding time
« on: May 12, 2005, 09:41:37 am »
Hi. I'm having surgery at the House Ear Clinic in 12 days(middle fossa) and am trying to let my Boss know what my time line for recovery will be. He thinks I will be back 10 days after surgery. I'm pretty sure that's not true. He's an engineer(i do engineering) and I thought if I could give him data, he would understand it better than my attempts at verbal communication.

I realize that everyone has different recovery issues but I thought if people told me what they experienced it might help, ie: 10 after sugery I could do..., 2 weeks after surgery I could work at a computer...?, 4 weeks  I went to work...?

Right now I'm a little nervous, slightly overwhelmed and very thankful that I have this outlet to help me deal with all the issues.

Thanks so much everyone,
Mary
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Karla

Re: help with understanding time
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 10:41:17 am »
Sweetie, I did not have surgery, but it will take you longer than 10 days.  Get a medical note from you doctor on how long your recovery needs to be for returning back to work.   Make a copy of this note for yourself, then give the original note to your boss.  He cannot give you any attitude on coming back to work before you are phsically able.  There is a law called the Family Medical Leave Act(FMLA).  If your boss pressures you and does not abide by what your doctor advices you to do.  LAW SUIT.  Having a tumor is stress enough and a rough time, I hope your boss will be understanding to your needs, if not FMLA.  I have a 2.5cm tumor against my brain stem, I received the x-knife procedure a year ago.  I was lucky to have such wonderful doctors.  But one thing I have learned is not to try to be "Superwoman".  Just take care of yourself, and ask you doctor quostios and personal concerns.  It's your tumor and your future.  God Bless swetie...Karla

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 01:26:13 pm »
My surgeon said to figure one week of recovery per hour of anesthesia. You will need at least a month, possibly more. Remind your boss that they are cutting your skull and entering the brain. It's not an easy surgery.  Hopefully you will bounce back quickly but there can be complications. Pray for the best but prepare just in case.

Good luck to you.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 02:57:05 pm »
Granted I had some complications, but I was out of work from October-January. Don't rush it, give yourself plenty of time. 10 Days after surgery, I was still in ICU. Give yourself time to heal and clear your mind. You won't want to think about work. I would say to seperate yourself completely from work for at least a month, then see how you feel.

Best of luck!

Mary 117

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 03:27:28 pm »
Wow, I had no idea. I haven't taken more than 2 days off work in 3 years Guess this will be interesting. IS there anything else I should know about time?
Mary

Dave_S121

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 03:39:02 pm »
Mary; I had translab surgery on October 2004.  My doctor said plan on 6 weeks.  I went back 1/2 time after 4 1/2 weeks and full time after 6 weeks.  I don't think I rushed myself.  I was also in pretty good physical condition before my surgery and I believed that helped a lot.  By that I mean I was walking 3-4 miles daily, 4-5 days a week and doing mild weight lifting.  My surgery lasted 5 hours. 

Dave Skaja
68 years old
2.2cm AN Right side
Removed 10/20/2004 Translab
Dr. Wiet and Dr. Kazan
Hinsdale Hospital, Hinsdale, IL.

Karla

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 05:06:53 pm »
Mary, remember everyone has their own tumor, and their own healing time.  Do what you need to do.  What works for some, might not work for others.  Also, the size of the tumor can make a difference.  Take care of yourself...Karla

littlemissrory

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 11:02:10 pm »
Hi Mary

I had a small tumor (8x6x5mm) removed by Retrosigmoid Surgery May of 2004.  I had a small CSF leak which healed itself since I remained quiet and did not overdue it.  I was in good physical condition (I am an alpine ski racing coach) and had a plan to kayak one month post surgery.  I did not work for a month from the date I left the hospital...I spent four days in the hospital.  I am used to physically pushing my body very hard, but I realized after this it needed some rest.  The best advise I recieved was to take care of yourself...the world can wait-especially work.  You come first, that is how I realized I had a terrific boss.  Never have I worked for such an understanding person.

Listen to your own body...do what you need and allow yourself the time to recover well.  You deserve that.

I'll be thinking of you and wish you the best,

Rory

Mary 117

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 12:22:58 pm »
Thanks Rory. Besides the "how long before I can work again" issue the "how long before I can run/work out again" issue is there. I know there is hope and the part about listening to your body is so true.

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. Surgery is 1 week away and it's hard to keep the anxiety level from climbing.

Thinking good thoughts for everyone,
Mary

debo

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 01:11:30 pm »
Hi Mary
I had trans lab surgery and planned on taking 3 months off. After a month with no complications I was getting very bored at home. However, I was still very tired and would have to take naps during the day. I finally went back about 5 weeks post op and worked 4 hours shifts. Then within a week I was up to 6 hour shifts. A week later I was back to 8 hour shifts.
However, I have not been able to work more than 3-4 days a week since the surgery. I still get very fatigued some days and  I have trouble sleeping with the tinnitus.I am 14 months post op. I think things will still get better as I adjust more.
Don't worry, the surgery will be fine. You will be fine. It is better to have more time off and go back early than the alternative.
Take care
Deb

s.dinapoli

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 02:00:05 pm »
Remind your boss that your not gonna be on vacation but recovering from a major surgery. Have him come visit you after the surgery like my boss did and then he will realize that 10 days is unrealistic. I had trans-lab over a year ago and doing good now but believe me that 10 days is not enough. Some say to allow for at least one week for every day spent in the hospital. I would tell him 6 weeks and if you make it back sooner than fine but give yourself that time cushion in advance to clear the way. It's no secret that recovery takes time with this surgery and it's all over the internet so he can look for himself if he doesn't believe you.