Author Topic: Herbal muscle relaxers for neck spasms  (Read 3033 times)

dragonmama

Herbal muscle relaxers for neck spasms
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:49:55 pm »
I've had chronic neck pain, headaches and neck muscle spasms since my surgery back in June. My gp has not been particularly helpful. They did give me a round of cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxer) which lasted 4 weeks and did cut my need for tylenol almost in half. They told me I couldn't take cyclobenzaprine long term (hence no refill), and since it affected my cognition, I didn't take it during the day.

I know there are herbal muscle relaxers that people use for other things (notably women using them for pms cramps and labour pains). Has anyone tried anything that worked on their neck?

Any suggestions for a topical rub? I've tried tiger balm (which just caused muscle spasms, so no good), and traumeel (which doesn't have any noticeable effect).

Also tried osteopathy (similar to, but gentler than chiropractry - with no major effect), and am trying acupuncture (some effect - doesn't eliminate the problem, but seems to reduce the intensity).

I use a heating pad when the muscles seize. Ice packs do get rid of the pain, but as soon as the ice pack is removed, the pain returns full force. Tried a therapeutic pillow - no different from my regular pillow.

I do range of motion neck stretches repeatedly during the day, but would love any suggestions for exercises to strengthen my neck and shoulder muscles. I've noticed that the longer this continues, the further the pain stretches down into my shoulder muscles.

I'm wearing scarves all the time to keep the muscles in my neck warm, and try to walk daily as the movement of my arms seems to massage the neck muscles.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Left SSD since 2010
Diagnosed 7/2011
Retrosigmoid 21 June, 2013
AN 2 cm
Left side palsy from stretched 7th nerve
Chronic neck pain, muscle spasms, headaches

TexasSprinter

Re: Herbal muscle relaxers for neck spasms
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:07:00 pm »
Dragonmama--I wish I could share more options with you.  I had AN surgery on Dec. 5 and have had head/neck pains since then, but so far I have been able to manage them with ibuprofen gel caps.  Since I hadn't seen any responses to your post, I thought I would reply to let you know others may also be at a loss for suggestions, but we're still hoping things get better for you.  Best of luck and happy new year.
Scott