Author Topic: tumor is back  (Read 3041 times)

cheeka

tumor is back
« on: January 07, 2007, 09:33:51 pm »
hello,
everyone i was just wondering if anyone had an AN come back
thanks
kym
(nervous Nelly)
13MM AN RIGHT SIDE
RETROSIGMOID
JAN 4,2006 IN NYC
BY #1 DOC/SURGEON

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: tumor is back
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:52:32 pm »
why are you so worried about the tumor returning... go have your MRI , please --- try to relax! , are you having any issues returning? say, had your surgery in NYC .. are you from New York or in the tri-state area?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 09:55:15 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

cheeka

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:59:55 pm »
well sometimes i worry because i have weird things going on in my head
i sometimes hear a squishing sound & air bubble sounds in my head
i hope this is a typical healing process

currently i have a ear infection in my good ear

13MM AN RIGHT SIDE
RETROSIGMOID
JAN 4,2006 IN NYC
BY #1 DOC/SURGEON

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 10:54:17 pm »
cheeka you're at a one year mark aren't you  having a follow up mri?  If not you might want to schedule one just for your piece of mind!  I have a cystic cavity where my an was which is normal.  I can't say I have any weird head noises just occasional searing strange head pain.  I've had 3 or 4 mris since my surgery in 8 of 05. 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 02:13:41 pm »
Kym:

To answer your question directly: yes, they can re-grow.  It happens.  However, that is relatively rare.  That's also why neurosurgeons typically want semi-annual or at least annual MRI scans for their AN patients for quite a few years, following surgery. 

My initial recovery was rapid but the entire healing process takes quite awhile.  I still have a few minor 'issues', 7 months post-op, but nothing that really affects my quality of life or interferes with what I want to do on a daily basis.  Occasional weird feelings at the site of the surgery and/or strange sensations or sounds are pretty close to normal for a person healing from AN surgery.

Please stop being nervous and think positive - while having an annual MRI scan for both peace of mind and medical prudence.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Raydean

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 02:49:32 pm »
I'd like to add to the above excellent replies that if this is a real concern then by all means schedule
a MRI.  Peace of mind is priceless.  I insisted on a MRI alittle under 3 months post op for my husband.  Tho it made no sense to others including the doctor, it made sense to me and after everything was said and done,( including having to be pushy in order to have the doctor order the MRI)  it showed exactly what i thought it would. Having it done at that time help us to focus on things and was a big factor in our decisions making process.

Trust your instints, they're usually right!

Best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Obita

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 05:12:54 pm »
Hello Nervous Nelly cheeka Kym:

I must admit, that first year post-op, I was a bit of a Nervous Nelly myself.  Every pain, wierd noise etc.. made me wonder if the sucker was growing back.  I had my one year MRI which was clear, then I relaxed. 

Time for two year MRI, up went the anxiety again.  Got the all clear, relaxed again.

I am sure the same will happen again come May..........I WANT YEARLY MRIs FOREVER.  They are good for the head.  ;D

Time for a MRI Kym, so you can relax.   Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines