Author Topic: Tooth pain  (Read 2373 times)

madison

Tooth pain
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:35:25 am »
Hi. Has anyone experienced tooth pain after surgery? My upper teeth on the AN side sometimes hurt. I take it as a positive thing and that it's just one of the many sensations of the facial nerve healing...hopefully! It feels like I had dental work and the novacaine is wearing off.
 It's uncomfortable to clench my teeth together. This happens occasionally and I was curious ifo anyone else experienced this or what your comments are on this matter. Thanks!
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
Re: Tooth pain
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:22:30 pm »
I am sorry you are dealing with this pain.  It is not fun to deal with.  I have had what your describing.  I was told by my neurologist that it is the facial nerve but also the trigeminal nerve.  There are many people with trigeminal neuralgia that go into their dentist thinking its that.  They end up treating the TN.  I wish you the best and hope it goes away soon.
Take care,
Wendy
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”

HJY

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:23:54 am »
Hi Madison,

I had this but it actually ended up being muscle pain from the facial paralysis. Try feeling your top lip, pinching it between thumb and finger and see if you replicate the pain. Also poke around in different spots in the mouth. Mine feels exactly like lower dental pain (even went to 3 different dentists) but pressing on my chin and lip area is what causes it. Pushing the gum just below the tooth line causes no pain at all!
Massage helps it go away.

Best of luck,
Heather
1.4cm L sided AN removed 6th Dec, 2010 (7 weeks after my 3rd baby was born!)
Surgeons - Proff Marcus Atlas & Dr George Wong, Ear Science Institute, Perth Western Australia
Mid Fossa,Hearing preserved,HB level 6 facial palsy Balance
issues
1st Oct, 2011 - Facial recovery HB 2-3, sudden HL of 30dB

kathleenanna

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 05:18:14 am »
    Hi Madison............Yes, I have had this happen to me also.  I am almost 2 years out from surgery, and have been to the dentist at least 3-4 times thinking that something was going on with my teeth on the AN side.  Every x-ray showed nothing......So I finally realized that it must be the nerves healing!  Still!!!         Take care......................Kathleen
translab on Sept 15, 2010 at Univ of Penn
2cm AN on left side
ssd
some balance issues

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:35:27 pm »
Hi Madison;

Just a thought depending how long you were under anesthesia, but anesthesia withdrawal would affect the CNS which the teeth are highly sensitive to. Have you taken any CNS active meds?
  But, your facial nerve theory is good also.
  Best wishes for your recovery!