Author Topic: Does anyone understand MRI reports?  (Read 11329 times)

hurtalot

Does anyone understand MRI reports?
« on: April 14, 2007, 12:35:59 pm »
I had one done on my lower back theres 5 pages of information that I don't understand.
Page 1
Clinical Indication: Trauma
Findings
AP,lateral,oblique and cone-down films of the lumbosacral spine were made showing marked degenerative changes of the posterior facet joints at the levels of L4-L5.There is partial sacraliztion of the L5 vertebra body.There is scoliosis with dominant convexity to the left.The posterior alignment appears intact.Degenrative changes of the interverebral discs at the levels of L4-L5 and L5-S1 are seen with disc space narrowing and osteophyte formation.

Page 1 Of Radiology
Sacrum and Coccyx:
FIndings
AP and lateral films of the sarum and coccyx were made.There is sacralization of the L5 vertebral body.No acute fracture is seen.The S1 joints appear well maintained.

Page 2 Radiology

findings;
There is partial sacralization of the L5 vertebral body.There is mild retrolisthesis of theL3 on L4 at L4 and L5 measuring between 2-3 mm. The posterior lumbar alignment is otherwise intact.There is mild scoliotic curvature with dominant convexity to the right.
The conus medullaris terminates at the level of L1 and is grossly unremarkable.
There is diffuse posterior facet degenration with hypertrophy and sclerosis of articular processes.Mild hypertrophic ligamentum flavum is also seen throughtout.
At the level of L1-L2there is desiccation of intervertebral disc space material along with disc space narrowing.minimal concentric annular disc bulge is seen at this level producing mild ventral epidural impression. No canal stenosis,disc herniation or neural formaminal stenosis is seen at this level.
At the level of L2-L3 there is mild desiccation of intervertebral disc space material along with concentric annular disc bulging. When combined with posterior facet diseae,there is a relatively sever central canal stenosis seen at this level Mild bilateral neural forminal stenosis at the level of L2 - L3 is also seen.
At the level of L4 -L5 there is desiccation of intervertebral disc space material along with disc space narrowing. Concentric annular disc bulge is seen at this level producing mild ventral epidural impression. The neural foramina at this level remain grossly patent.
At the level of L5 - S1 the intervertebral disc space is small and rudimentary.  There is no disc herniation seen at this level. No canal stenosis.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 01:13:34 pm by hurtalot »

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Does anyone understand MRI reports?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »
Hi there hurtalot:  I can't explain what the film says,  but if it eases your mind any,  I had lower back pain after kyaking in Alaska about 6 years ago - had MRI of back & it showed 'spondolysthesis' grade 2-3, at L4-5, which is no disc left & the L4 vertabrae is sitting on quite an angle on the L5 vertabrae, + critical foraminal stenosis.
One surgeon wanted to operate immediately, the next surgeon said no need to operate as I wasn't having symptoms (yet) of incontinence, pain when walking short distances; he said he'll follow my case - if I have symptoms I'll call him.   My back aches but I do find quite an 'emotional' factor that goes with it, if I don't think about it I'm okay.     The surgeon who said to wait on surgery looks at the individual's symptoms along with the MRI, which I like, he also said in my case do not bend backwards & of course careful driving- an accident could be hazardous (well, yea!).   I've known people who've had back surgery & are worse off after a year or so.  I read a great book called 'Healing Back Pain' by John Sarno, MD : he discusses many back diagnoses & why very few people really need back surgery.   I highly recommend looking into this book, good luck my friend.   Nancy
ps:  I bought a 'bubble' seat I use at work & home - it helps me sit upright, improves the posture, works great !!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 03:01:33 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

RED in Palacios

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 08:55:58 am »
Hello hurtalot,
Sorry to hear you are having the discomfort involved with "spinal troubles".  The content of your report appears to be a pretty straight forward description of your current spinal condition.  Not beijng a medical practioner, that is just about all I can safely say.  I am a science teacher and so am familar with the terminology used in the report.  My immediate suggetion is for you to return to your medical provider and request a "consult" to discuss the report.  My second suggestion is that you then take the report to another practioner such as a good chiropractor and ask for an explanation of the report and the implications of the conditions indicated.  Before doing either of these things, I would reccomend spending time at the library, book store or on line with some medical / anatomy type texts so you will have some idea just what an "L2" and the other reference points are.

Good luck,
Richard
Diagnosed 10-16-06.  3.6 mm by 9 mm.  Waiting and watching actively.

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 06:42:12 pm »
I'm also sorry to  hear you have spinal things going on. I am a stranger to deciphering mri reports on spines, yet, when i read yours i think  oh is it the L2 and L3 that is the most significant... ( the report does say that is a combined situation to a degree of stenosis etc)....

what is your neurologist saying to you? i have a few probs in my own spine which are different from yours and i am new to this bit , so all  I can wish for you is the best in your docs and any possible treatment (spines are kind of tricky as I am sure you are aware... sometimes there is not much that can be done, sometimes there is)... i am supposed to be seeing a neurologist in the near future and a spine surgeon but gawd knows i don't want an op of any kind....we'll see what they say for me.

best of luck with yours,
take care,
W.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 09:21:00 am »
Hi Hurt and welcome.  As you know, this is an Acoustic Neuroma (benign brain tumor) website, but I do have spinal issues as well and much that mirrors your situation, as I had spinal fusion/lamenectomy on L4-L5-S1 back in 1981.  I did have to see my orthopaedic surgeon the other day for issues and fortunately/unfortunately, I understand your MRI.

The degenerative changes noted as facet disease is typically (from my understanding and diagnosis the other day) arthritis in the spine at L2-L3.  Could also mean that the discs (cushions between each vertabrae) are starting to deteroriate/slip, thus, consulting with an orthopaedic surgeon would be recommended.  Seems the rest of your spinal column is in alignment with a mild case of Scoliosis (curvature of the spine which tends to be common in younger folks and women) but the discs are of concern. 

I am definately not a dr but have educated myself on how to read my films and reports.  I may be off on what I wrote above but I believe that may be the case. Only an ortho can confirm.

Please consult an orthopaedic surgeon for follow up. 

Be well.
Phyllis

I had one done on my lower back theres 5 pages of information that I don't understand.
Page 1
Clinical Indication: Trauma
Findings
AP,lateral,oblique and cone-down films of the lumbosacral spine were made showing marked degenerative changes of the posterior facet joints at the levels of L4-L5.There is partial sacraliztion of the L5 vertebra body.There is scoliosis with dominant convexity to the left.The posterior alignment appears intact.Degenrative changes of the interverebral discs at the levels of L4-L5 and L5-S1 are seen with disc space narrowing and osteophyte formation.

Page 1 Of Radiology
Sacrum and Coccyx:
FIndings
AP and lateral films of the sarum and coccyx were made.There is sacralization of the L5 vertebral body.No acute fracture is seen.The S1 joints appear well maintained.

Page 2 Radiology

findings;
There is partial sacralization of the L5 vertebral body.There is mild retrolisthesis of theL3 on L4 at L4 and L5 measuring between 2-3 mm. The posterior lumbar alignment is otherwise intact.There is mild scoliotic curvature with dominant convexity to the right.
The conus medullaris terminates at the level of L1 and is grossly unremarkable.
There is diffuse posterior facet degenration with hypertrophy and sclerosis of articular processes.Mild hypertrophic ligamentum flavum is also seen throughtout.
At the level of L1-L2there is desiccation of intervertebral disc space material along with disc space narrowing.minimal concentric annular disc bulge is seen at this level producing mild ventral epidural impression. No canal stenosis,disc herniation or neural formaminal stenosis is seen at this level.
At the level of L2-L3 there is mild desiccation of intervertebral disc space material along with concentric annular disc bulging. When combined with posterior facet diseae,there is a relatively sever central canal stenosis seen at this level Mild bilateral neural forminal stenosis at the level of L2 - L3 is also seen.
At the level of L4 -L5 there is desiccation of intervertebral disc space material along with disc space narrowing. Concentric annular disc bulge is seen at this level producing mild ventral epidural impression. The neural foramina at this level remain grossly patent.
At the level of L5 - S1 the intervertebral disc space is small and rudimentary.  There is no disc herniation seen at this level. No canal stenosis.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 09:35:35 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ceeceek

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:25:01 pm »
Reply to Hurtalot..
SOrry to hear about your back pain....although I am not a doc, I am accustom to reading MRI reports for my job....basically you have a degenerative condition sort of like advanced arthritis...I would definately consult with a good good spinal neurologist and orthopedics doc.....also, you may find significant relief with acupuncture....as much of your pain is going to be due to swelling particularly with the vertebre that are beginning to bulge....I do not think you will be a  candidate for the surgical technique of using a rod..and it has inhereant (sp) problems anyway....check with neuro.....perhaps you  are a good candidate for a proceedure called epidural relief....they place steroids in the epidural space to relieve swelling etc......it has a good chance of working for certain conditions...worked great for me but took all three tries....and last for a little over a year.....and I would use a technique that uses live MRI images during proceedure...it is more accurate for placement of the steroids.....idea of having a needle in my spine freaked me out so I wanted them to know EXACTLY where they were poking.........let us know how it goes and good luck.
Ceeceek
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.