Author Topic: Modified translab  (Read 3548 times)

LMH

Modified translab
« on: July 16, 2008, 04:14:53 pm »
Does anyone have any information on the modified translab.  My neurotologist said he'd be willing to try it to see if hearing could be preserved at all.  There's obviously no guarantee and it could add several hours to the surgery since he'd be getting in a little differently than with the translab.  His partner, my neurosurgeon seemed to think it wouldn't save the hearing and therefore wouldn't be worth it.  Just wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge on the subject.

Thanks!
Lisa

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Modified translab
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:05:09 pm »
Lisa -

don't have any info on modified translab.  But I do have a question.  If it's supposed to be an attempt to save your hearing, why not just do retrosigmoid  ???

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pswift00

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:28:52 am »
Lisa -

don't have any info on modified translab.  But I do have a question.  If it's supposed to be an attempt to save your hearing, why not just do retrosigmoid  ???

Jan

If the tumor is bigger than 2 centimeters, then the chances of saving your hearing via retrosig are really only about 10-15% anyway. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 06:06:08 pm »
True, but 10-15% is better than 0%.

I knew that with retrosigmoid I risked total hearing loss, but then again with translab it was a given.  As I told my doc, let's at least try to save what I've got.  If we can, we can.  If we can't, oh well.  At least we can say we tried.

Jan (call me dangerous, if you will  ;) )
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:09:03 pm by leapyrtwins »
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:07:03 pm »
My tumor was big, I had retrosigmoid, and they did save my hearing.  So I guess I'm happy to be part of the 10-15%!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 09:21:36 pm »
Marci -

while I wish I had been part of that 10-15%, if I had been, I wouldn't be able to sport this nifty titanium abutment on my head  :D  ;)

Seriously, it's great that you were able to keep your hearing, especially since your AN was big.  It's encouraging to know that hearing retention IS possible with retrosigmoid.  I was told it was, but it seems like a lot of us on the forum who had this approach ended up SSD. 

Jan

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 07:32:08 am »
Hi Jan,
I know, I have no bling, I'm making my peace with that.  I'm not even a fat-head, just spackle.  What does that make me?
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 09:12:36 am »
Joe, JTD, also had retro sigmoid and retained some usable hearing in his AN ear, so there are definitely good outcomes out there!  And SSD really isn't the end of the world. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 05:57:29 pm »
Hi Lisa,

I am going to guess that your doc wants to try modified translab because retorsigmoid is not an option.  I know my doc said that even though I had good hearing (80% speech discrimination at the time of my diagnosis),  because of the lateral position of my AN,  retrosigmoid was not an option for me.  He further stated that because of the lateral position of my tumor, if he tried the retrosigmoid approach he might have to expose the entire inner earl, thereby destroying my hearing. The options he gave me were translabrinthine and middle fossa.  We had planned on middle fossa, but I had two sudden hearing drops before my surgery and was down to 24% speech discrimination.  Subsequently, I had the translabrinthiine approac and am now SSD..  He didn't mention the modified translabrinthine approach and it would not have been practical for me.  but  I did read about it after my surgery.  Based on what I read, the possibility of  hearing preservation with this approach, while possible, is quite low.  I wish I had saved that article, but unfortunately didn't; I will take a leap here and guess you are not willing to gamble with your facial nerve (and who can blame you?) and are therefore not interested in middle fossa, which could also save your hearing.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!