Author Topic: Surgery date is set  (Read 4071 times)

miriamgail

Surgery date is set
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:57:33 pm »
Hello all, thanks for your feedback about vertigo before and after surgery.

I am scheduled for middle fossa surgery at House with Fayad and Schwartz on 1/4/2011.
I have not been able to get off Prednisone without recurrence of disabling vertigo. My hearing is basically perfect now, so among other stressors, it is upsetting to be exposed to the risk of loss of hearing from the surgery.
Now I have to get through the next seven weeks going back up on the Prednisone and hoping that the vertigo will remit again. Stressing me out not to be able to rely on my daily functioning. I am a mother of three young children, as well as a physician in private practice, so I am stressed about the childcare, although I do have supportive family to help, and stressed about caring for my patients and finding good coverage for my patients, which in some ways is harder to do. I hate not being able to rely on driving. Scared of what will happen to my functioning post surgery.

That's it for now. Thank you for all your support.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Surgery date is set
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »
Hey Miriam, congrats on the surgery date...I am not familiar with Fayad, but Schwartz I am, if you mean the one from House Ear Clinic. He along with Dr. Brackmann did my middle fossa almost a year ago, you won't be in better hands with anyone coming out of House, in my opinion. Take care and good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

miriamgail

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:54:04 am »
Thanks Jay. Yes, Fayad and Schwartz are both at House Ear Institute, so hoping for the best.
Any suggestions, things to bring to the hospital, tips for recovery period?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:59:35 am »
Hi Miriam .....

If you do a search on Chapstick here on this forum you will pull up a whole bunch of threads related to what to bring to the hospital.  Less is better!  ..... but Chapstick is a must for most of us. (WOW, that sounds weird.  ::))  Many of us experienced double vision or at least eyes that had difficulty focusing so reading was difficult.  If someone will be at the hospital with you, you could bring your own music ..... just would not keep an expensive IPod unattended in the room.  Pictures of family or loved ones is always good.  A robe for when you begin walking.  I took my own soft toothbrush and favorite toothpaste.  If you wear glasses, consider taking the bow off your AN side because you will have a large bandage initially.

Recovery period:  although many of us needed little assistance after the hospital stay, have someone lined up to stay with you for the first week home at least (and on tap if needed longer).  Either cook ahead and freeze it for quick heat up, or have someone line up meal preparation for a couple of weeks after you get home.  Beyond that, it entirely depends upon how you do during surgery and whether you have any of the not usual complications.

Best thoughts and let us know how else we can help.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 02:35:54 pm »
Yes. Don't forget the chapstick. I did. And made family go buy me some.

And good luck with a speedy recovery.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:18:39 am »
Miriam,

Congratulations on making the decision.  Here are some of the items I took with me:

- Two framed pictures of my kids
- Cotton gym shorts to wear beneath the very stylish hospital gown (no tight waist band, it can bother the abdominal incision!)
- A battery powered radio
- Carmex (my preference vs. Chapstick)
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant
- A change of clean clothing for when you are discharged
- A positive attitude (most important thing you can have, IMO)

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery!

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

moe

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:31:40 am »
Hi Miriam,
A belated welcome to the little group.
And good suggestions from previous posts
I also prefer CARMEX over Chapstick ;)
Since you will have a big bandage around your head, do not bring an ipod ;)

Just try to sleep through as much as you can after surgery. The first few days are no fun, but it slowly gets better.
Being a physician will be an interesting trip for you, being on the "other" side. Good luck with that.
Just let them do their thing.
I'm a nurse, and always wanted to know exactly what was going on, what medicine was going in, etc. I was amazingly lucid post op (considering it was a complicated AN with 11 hour surgery).

Make sure to ask for pain med, if you need it, and anti nausea med. (even it you don't have it!)  Nothing worse than throwing up after brain surgery (been there).

My heart goes out to you with all these people who depend on you )Your children, your patients), and just getting through all this. I'm sure you'll delegate just fine.

Any other questions,concerns, fears? We're here for ya :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

nftwoed

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:35:47 pm »
Hi Miriam;

My, you have excellent Drs for your MF resection! I've read on groups, and heard good things about both from my Mayo Neurotologist.
   Of course, you may know the better the hearing going into Tx, the better the chance of coming out of Tx with serviceable hearing.
   I believe the stats for good function are in your favor. I think about a 97% absolute success rate if you have an tumor <2.00 cm. and mostly intracanicular. That's as good as FSR affectiondos will ever brag about.
   There's nothing quite like steroid, eh? I've used it twice for SHL. You're using it for dizziness which is somewhat more uncommon for Drs. as you know steroids are hard on the organs. I bounced off walls with the stuff and couldn't sleep a wee bit.
   Sorry about the kids, etc, but, as you say, you have a good support system.
   I've an idea you'll be able to drive 3 weeks post op, MF.
   Blessings to you!

nftwoed