Author Topic: recent diagnosis  (Read 3452 times)

cindyj

Re: recent diagnosis
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 03:08:28 pm »
Hi Maggie and Welcome,

Yes, this diagnosis can be quite overwhelming, but you're in the right place to get a wealth of information.  I too could not sleep well my first few weeks after diagnosis - I would find myself up at all hours of the night reading everything on this site.  Take a breath and take your time - you'll be fine and folks here will help you with most any question you may have - they are amazing!

Take care and keep us posted,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 08:03:36 pm »
Hi Maggie,

Glad you found this site, I know I camp out here now :)  Sorry you have an AN, but welcome to the club.  This site is full of wonderful people who are connected by our common problem.  It is invaluable to be able to communicate openly with people who have either "been there, done that" or are currently going through things.  You are lucky to be near a big city where options are probably all around you. 

Your AN is almost exactly the size of mine. I am recently diagnosed as well, so I know what you are feeling. I know that the options I was given was based on it's size, location, my age, and my health status.  Lots of people end up with different options.  Keep yourself well-informed and ask questions!  I am sure you'll find the treatment option that best suits you.  Good luck with everything, and you know where to find us!!!

Amy 
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 08:10:22 am »
Maggie~
Hello!
I have been out of town and just read this thread.  I am from the "Top of Texas" and I had my surgery in Houston at Methodist witht the doctors from Baylor College of Medicine.  I really liked my surgeon, but he is in Denver now and it has been SO long ago (almost 13 years) that I don't have first hand information on them now.  Well, except that Pooter (Brian) had good results.  I know that this is all so overwhelming!!  You have already received some great information so I won't go there, but I can tell you that having an AN is not the end of the world.  I was very young and had a very big tumor, and I guess most would say that I had a LOT of complications, but I have gone on & have a WONDERFUL life now - I have a super hubby and 3 beautiful girlies (that I had AFTER my surgery).  My strong faith and positive attitude, along with great family & friends, are what kept me going thru it all. You can check out my blog (address below) if you want to see what my life is like now - usually crazy - and I would LOVE to talk to you more on the phone if you'd like.  Just send me a PM w/ your number - I have unlimited long distance so I can call you anytime.  My husband's family all live in Houston so we are there a lot - maybe we can get together the next time I am in town (what area are you from?)...

K   ;D
PS - I didn't know what SSD was either when I 1st came on here and I'd had it for 12 years!!  LOL!!!   :D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 09:16:11 pm »
Hi to all,
Thanks to all of you who have been encouraging me.  I try to laugh when I can and cry when I need to to.  My kids are grown and live in other cities, so I had to tell my son over the phone.  Not my first choice, since we recently lost my mother-in-law due to a malignant brain tumor.  My daughter is flying in for the weekend tomorrow and I will tell her when she gets here. I'm still trying to figure out what my options are. The dr. from the House clinic who called me said he would recommend the middle fossa surgery, which would be my choice if I decide to go that route. I guess I'm just basically scared spitless at the prospect of such major surgery, and this is a new feeling for me.  I have always had a pretty high pain tolerance and come from a long line of stoics.  We usually just suck it up and keep going. I think I have met my match! 
I will definitely be in touch with you, Kaybo.  I think I need to hear some words of wisdom.  I will be seeing the same dr. that Pooter saw, so that does make me feel a little better. Reading all the experiences that people have gone through has really been helpful in my attitude toward all of this.  Your humor and honesty shine through in every post.  Keep it up!  I hope I can make someone else feel better somewhere on down the line.

Maggie
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28:45 pm »
Maggie
Your stoicism will come in handy down the line, don't worry.  I'm glad you are moving forward with doctors and surgical plans.  This stupid brain tumor disrupted my life and has changed me in a few ways, but most of them are good.
Hang in,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.