Author Topic: Earphone/bud that will allow outside noise?  (Read 14171 times)

spgreenfield

Earphone/bud that will allow outside noise?
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:03:52 am »
I like to listen to books on tape while I'm working, but in the past would only use 1 earbud to allow me to hear things going on around me....now - obviously that's no longer a choice.  Does anyone know of a comfortable ear bud that WILL allow me to hear things around me as well as play books and music into my ear?  I dislike the "closed off" feeling of isolation when I have my earbud inserted in my ear - worried someone will try to call my name and I can't hear them.  Any suggestions?

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Paul F

Re: Earphone/bud that will allow outside noise?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:38:15 am »
Maybe bluetooth might work.
Paul

lrobie

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:18:57 pm »
I had a similar question months back.  It was for a headset for my work phone.  I didn't want something like a bud or like an earmuff because I knew I wouldn't hear people when they came in my office and I would have to keep taking it off.  I ended up with a bluetooth type device that hangs on my ear, but doesn't plug it.  It works.  I'm not sure if they carry anything like what you're looking for, but I got it from headsets.com.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

rays

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:09:56 pm »
I own a pair of Bang & Olufsen headphones. They are expensive ($165) but have really great sound quality. I'm a bit of an audiophile, although that may change after my middle-fossa surgery in a month. These earphones may be more than you need for listening to books, but you'll hear every word the narrator is saying while allowing you to hear sounds around you.

http://www.shopbangolufsen.com/Bang-Olufsen-Earphones/dp/B004HJFYHO

I saw a cheaper pair that looks like it has the same design as the B&O's, but much cheaper. $40

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/fix-bud-navy-black

With both these designs the bud sits ON the ear instead of in it.

Hope that help.

Ray
2/17/12- Urgent Care dizzy/ringing in ear.Told sinus infection.It wasn't
2/23- ENT Doc Inconclusive.Sent to hearing test
3/8- Hearing test
3/12- ENT concerned w/test results.Sent for MRI
3/12- MRI
3/19- ENT sees AN.Sent to HEI
3/21- Dr. House recommends middle fossa
4/26- Scheduled for Surgery

mandy721

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:19:48 pm »
I read about these AfterShokz earless headphones a few days ago and they might be worth looking into.   They use bone-conduction technology to transmit sound and allow sounds and conversations to be heard while wearing them.  They were originally developed by the military and sound very exciting. Here is the link to the website - http://www.aftershokz.com/   I found many  enthusiastic reviews online.
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

spgreenfield

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:56 pm »
I just went and looked at them!!!  WOW!  They look wonderful!  How cool is that!?!  Now I'm wondering if they're like the BAHA headband testing unit or something?  This is definitely something I could use and still hear!  Gonna look into them for sure!  See what kind of guarantee they have.........

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

spgreenfield

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:54:46 am »
I ordered a pair of Aftershokz - with the mic....spoke at length to them about my needs - they have a satisfaction guarantee if purchased from their site - the shipping was only $8 which isn't a bad deal nowadays.....I'm looking forward to using them with my cell phone and MP3 player.  I'll bet it's similar to what the test headband for the BAHA is like....if they don't work I'll get my money back!  Keep you posted....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Archer

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:46:33 pm »
I'll be watching for a review Pam.  They sound good.  I hope they work out for  you.

BeckyMax

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:00:00 pm »
Yes, Please be sure to post a review, I'm very interested in these.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

rays

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 03:14:05 pm »
After I read the post about the Aftershokz headphones I Googled them and found a review by an audio engineer. I was surprised to see it was written by my sister. She writes for Sound and Vision Magazine. You can find it at:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/02/27/aftershokz-aftershocks 

I wrote her about them and she wrote back saying "I was thinking they might be something you could try out, so I just wrote to the PR lady for Aftershokz yesterday,  asking if she thought they would work for AN patients with SSD.  She's going to get back to me after she talks to their engineers and designers. They're not awesome, but they're okay, and especially if they'll work after the surgery, they might be a great option".

I'll let post after I hear back from her.

ray
3/8- Hearing test
3/12- MRI

mandy721

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 10:28:34 am »
After I read the post about the Aftershokz headphones I Googled them and found a review by an audio engineer. I was surprised to see it was written by my sister. She writes for Sound and Vision Magazine. You can find it at:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/02/27/aftershokz-aftershocks 

I wrote her about them and she wrote back saying "I was thinking they might be something you could try out, so I just wrote to the PR lady for Aftershokz yesterday,  asking if she thought they would work for AN patients with SSD.  She's going to get back to me after she talks to their engineers and designers. They're not awesome, but they're okay, and especially if they'll work after the surgery, they might be a great option".

I'll let post after I hear back from her.

ray

What a small world it is! I have ordered a pair for my husband and he is  eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

spgreenfield

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 09:27:32 pm »
I just received my Aftershokz today - charged them and tried them on my mp3 player.  Of course it's not "enveloping" sound, but for those of us that either walk/jog and want to hear car noises - or those that work around the house listening to an mp3 player but no longer having the ability to put only one ear bud in they're great!  I could hear just fine - but it was a quiet environment too - will test outside, inside, etc.  Just make sure to charge them the 3 hours they say to.....I got the phone ones with the mic on the line....but my cell and house phones are 2.5mm and not the 3.5mm that standard headphones are.  Will be ordering an adapter to see if it's possible to use them on phone - THAT is what I'd love!  To have someone be able to talk to me while I'm on the phone but not miss either conversation!!!  Heaven!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

spgreenfield

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 08:45:30 am »
Wearing them a little more this morning.

First off, Ray, you can let your sister know that these do NOT use full "bone conduction hearing" technology - it is really tissue conduction.  If it WAS bone conduction, I would be "hearing" from my AN ear - and the area right in front of the ear where you place the headphones is a direct connection to the ear.  You can try it yourself - run your finger up and down in front of your ear and it sounds very clear - just behind your cheekbone.  BUT I WILL say that I can also hear everything that's going on in the room around me as well.  It tickles a little bit on my AN ear since I don't have "sound" distracting my sensations.....I may end up seeing if my daughter likes them since she bicycles a lot and lives in NYC - but I still need to test them in a noisier environment though and see how the sound is there.

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

rays

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 10:53:39 am »
Hi Pam,

I don't mean to be argumentative  >:D, and I'm not saying you're wrong but the AfterShokz website says:

"Powered by patent pending military special ops bone conduction technology, AfterShokz Bone Conduction Headphones offer consumers a more comfortable, healthier, and safer listening experience."

Honestly, I couldn't care less about how they work, just that they work for us AN'ers. With my surgery just days away, I was glad to know that I may still be able to hear stereo after I recover.

Your daughter may really like them. My sister that wrote the article is a huge cyclist. She routinely does 100+ mile bike rides a few times a week and she likes that she can hear traffic around her.

Please keep us posted on what you think about the sound.

Ray
3/8- Hearing test
3/12- MRI

spgreenfield

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 12:00:54 pm »
Oh - I'm SURE they USE the bone conduction technology....it's just not conducted by bone!  It's conducted by tissue in front of your ear.  I wrote the mfg and I'll post when I get a reply....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12