Author Topic: Skin over BAHA abutment  (Read 14191 times)

grega

Skin over BAHA abutment
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:01:10 pm »
Greetings all  :D

After testing some of the coasters at Universal and Disney in Fla last week .... BTW, H. Potter's ride thru Hogwarts is super .... I'm back to a more mundane lifestyle. 

I just finished exams by my audiologist yesterday, and baha surgeon today (not in same office on same day  ::) ).  We decided that a bit of cut-and-paste of the skin growing up to, and almost over, the abutment top is in order.  Actually only cut ... no paste.  Surgery is the 13th.

Doc said that if I had done a more-frequent brushing around the abutment, that condition would not have happened.  Is that what other BAHA users understand to be the case?  Appreciate any feedback. 

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Skin over BAHA abutment
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:21:56 pm »
I just had the skin grow over my abutment, however it was a stitch working its way out from the surgery back in July 2010. I have never brushed it very often unless I was doing something that was dirty...yard work, fishing, etc. I just wash my hair every night and seems to work for me.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:07:50 pm »
Good to see you back, grega  ;D

I am not one to brush my abutment - haven't done that in a really, really long time - yet I have never had an issue with skin growth.

I've always heard that if you wear your processor frequently that skin won't grow, but guess that's not the case for everyone (as I assume you wear your processor frequently).

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:44:07 am »
Thanks James and Jan for responding.  And thanks Jan for the welcome ... I read the forum frequently, so I know that some poster's posts are nearing 9,400  :o Amazing!!!! 

Yep, when, out of the mouths of doctors, I heard that more frequent brushing would have kept healing skin (scar tissue?) below the abutment top, I voiced silent skepticism   :-X.  I did, however, promise to brush more often .... but hesitated to ask if an occasional flossing would help .....   ::)

I sorta thought that expanding grey matter, brought on by larger thoughts, caused that race-to-the-top of the abutment. .... but we'll never know.

After surgery to remove that buildup next week .... actually, after healing .... I certainly will brush much more often.  Then I'll report back with my findings.  Now if I can only find that little brush ...... AH, there it is!

Keep  ;D -ing!
Greg
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:11:25 am »
One thing I catch myself doing is running my finger nails around the abutment. I use my thumb nail and middle finger nail (yes, that you're number one finger),  and run my them against the abutment and my scalp. Every once in a while, it will excise a small circle of dead skin from around the abutment. I guess it is just one of those nervous things I do instead of biting my nails.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:20:28 am »
I sorta thought that expanding grey matter, brought on by larger thoughts, caused that race-to-the-top of the abutment. .... but we'll never know.

Yeah, I'm betting that's it LOL

As for the brushing, when you do start again be very careful - especially if your BAHA site is still numb.  Brushing that is too aggressive can lead to irritation which can lead to infection.

And James, I'm not a BAHA expert by any means, but I'm not sure that using your nails is such a good idea.  You might want to check in with your doc or audiologist on that - and at the very least make certain that your fingers are clean.  Dirt under your nails - quite common for all of us - could lead to infection.

Best,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ksiwek

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 01:03:12 pm »
Greg,

My doc thought that I was going to have to have excess skin taken off when I was 2 months post-op.  Somehow the site 'self-corrected' or the swelling really went down rather and I got to cancel my revision surgery.

I do clean mine every couple of days as I get buildup back there.  I think that I still have a lot of healing going on.  My surgery was in October.  I don't use the brush.  Instead I take a q-tip dipped in anti bacterial soap and water and wash around the abutment.  Doing this gently frees up the dead skin that collects.  I feel that it is less abrasive than a brush.  My doc (and Jan's) isn't a big fan of using a brush and has mentioned his preference for using a washcloth or something softer.

Good luck!

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

deheisel11

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 09:12:28 am »
Greg,
I have not been brushing mine very regularly, because even though I brush VERY softly around the abutment, it starts seeping around the abutment.  I am going to have it checked next week, again.  The Q-tip sounds like a good idea.
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

moe

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:07:28 am »
Greg,
Good luck with your little surgery on the 13th. Got my BAHA this past Nov and it healed up nicely, (unlike the first one with the original brain surgery that kept getting infected).
I use my BAHA BRUSH that came with the kit and keep it on the shower ledge (that reminds me I need to buy a new one~ supposed to change every 6 months) and I brush the abutment and around it when showering and shampooing my hair. Just a new little ritual! Wash the hair, brush the abutment, conditioner...... ;D Anyway, when it heals up again, qtip or the baha brush are both great alternatives. The BAHA brush is sooo soft, so it isn't harsh on my skin.

Good luck and glad to see you again!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

grega

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 07:47:02 pm »
WOW .... it's already 2 weeks later ... time really flies!  Thanks everyone who posted.  Surgery to remove that skin (scar tissue) around the baha-butment went well.  Roughest part was lying flat with my head turned to the side for half-hour .... and then straightening again .... stiff it was!

Cleaning gingerly and applying clobetesol daily.  Healing well.  Started using baha just short of a week after. Will see doc once more next week for final checkup.  Have a small moat around the abutment.  Seems to have made baha more effective, but the jury's still out on that.

Pray for those who have suffered thru tornados this year .... and if possible, donate a bit to Red Cross, Salvation Army or other relief agency to ease someone's pain and grief.

Be well my friends ..... Greg

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 09:54:08 pm »
Greg -

glad to hear everything's good with your BAHA site. 

It makes sense to me that the "small moat" has made your processor more effective.  Abutments shouldn't be flush with the skull.  In order for the processor to work effectively there needs to be some space between the skull and the processor.  Typically there is a "small moat" right after the implant, that eventually "fills in" until the abutment is about 1/8" from the skull.  I wonder if that will happen in your case.

Thanks for the reminder to remember those in need; I'll pitch in if I can and hope others do the same.

BTW, love the new profile picture.  Not sure I've ever seen you without a hat  :)

Jan

grega

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:07:47 pm »
Hey Jan .... yep, the baha-butment is free and clear, and ready for action!  And the brush you and Lori sent along is ready for regular use, as doc recommends.

That pic was taken in a "green room" prior to a show. I'm applying makeup, so my natural ruddy, swarthy complexion doesn't come thru .... hahahahahaha .... sorry, as I re-read that, I couldn't help laughing.

Greg

lori67

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 07:18:18 pm »
Glad you're healing up nicely!

I keep a baby toothbrush in the shower to clean my abutment - not daily but once or twice a week with antibacterial soap.  I haven't had any problems with irritation.  Must be because I have thick skin!   ;)

The clobetasol worked wonders for me during the first year when I had some problems with the skin growing too far up on the abutment, but I haven't used it in a long time.

And I love your expanding grey matter theory.  I'm sure that's what happened in my case too! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

grega

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 12:47:00 pm »
Lori, no doubt you're correct in what you say:

"... expanding grey matter theory.  I'm sure that's what happened in my case too!" 

BTW:
Of skin, the abutment is free.
So doc's happy, along with me.
Brush firmly in hand,
the cleaning is grand.
And baha is "humming" .... woopee!

Scheeeeesch!  ::)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 02:02:28 pm »
Love the poem!!!

So far my abutment (of two weeks!) is healing well ..... no moat, no irritation, no skin growing up it.  Hope it stays that way, since I'm not sure about the expanding grey matter.   ;D

Interestingly, Dr. Friedman said I did not need to brush it at all, just keep it clean with normal shampooing.  Apparently there is a difference of opinion on care.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011