Author Topic: New President Elect  (Read 6327 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
New President Elect
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:57:03 pm »
To my American family on this forum, I'd like to congratulate all of you on such a wonderful out come on your election yesterday.  Barack Obama speech last night was so heart felt, I too was in tears here in Hamilton, Ontario Canada.  I was so tired but I had to stay awake and see him speak.  I must also comment on John McCain speech, he was very gracious.  Two amazing men, and history will be very kind to both of them.

My youngest son gave my family a tutorial on the electoral college last night while we were watching the results with the rest of the world.  He took American history last year in grade 11 and this year he has political science.  In Canada we just had a federal election a few weeks ago and with your election yesterday has given Gabriel so much to follow and he has really enjoyed the course. 

It is remarkable so many of your citizens voted.  Both Democrats and Republicans worked hard, got their messages out and you the people voted in record numbers.  With all of the worlds eyes on America, you showed the entire world what a democracy is all about.   

God Bless America, God Bless the people and God Bless President Elect Barack Obama. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

sgerrard

Re: New President Elect
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 11:32:13 pm »
On behalf of the citizens of the United States of America, I say thank you!

I agree that the speeches were admirable. Even in our close Oregon senate race, the two candidates behaved liked gentlemen.

If nothing else, there has been a change in tone, which is a change for the better.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:07:43 am »
Thank you for your comments from me, too.  I was so impressed with both men's speeches that night. It showed the best of our system and started the process of post-election healing. We now as a country have to set about dealing with our issues. I have endless faith in the people of our country. Our beloved neighbors in Canada have been so supportive I am sure that will ease the burden just knowing the support is there. 8)

Mary

Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 03:01:03 pm »
My hope is that the new administration can fix the broken healthcare system in this country and challenge the pharmacutical lobbyists to set realistic prices for our citizens.  My last Topamax prescription was almost $700 because I'm in the Medicare Part D "donut hole." I decided not to order it and instead ordered some questionable
"generic Topamax" off the internet made in India for $135.  I'm not quite sure of the quality and all I had to do was give them the name and phone # of my doc. Hmmmmm........

Been on it for a week and it ain't killed me yet.........but I've had a few headaches.

I would love to have a Medicare supplemental policy, but it's soooo expensive if you've gotten Medicare through disability--over $450 a month and doesn't include prescriptions--maybe that will change with this new administration.

Here's wishing the Obama family much luck and hope as we enter a new era!!!!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 04:46:42 pm »
Ouch Capt Deb,

I don't know what hurts more my head at the moment or the cost of your Topamax.  That is a big PILL to swallow, no pun intended ;)  One of the things that impressed me about Mr Obama, was his passion for change, especially medicare.   

Anne Marie your Canadian Barack Obama supporter!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:44:34 pm »
Hi

I know it is rough. I explored going to India for AN treatment.  I only wish our insurance was around $500. My hubby and I are $2200 a MONTH!!!! YIKES!!!!!  :o That is with a $4000 deductible. We are not medicare yet and husband is off Cobra now and of course we have prexisting conditions and our medications are hardly covered costing extra hundreds a month. I am just sick over this!

Mary  8)
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 09:34:32 pm »
This is a pic that my daughter took of Obama when she went to a rally at her college campus. She was about 15 feet away from him standing in a window sill. She said she felt like the paparazzi! LOL. She also said it was one of the coolest experiences she's ever had.

Cathy

Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:54:17 pm »
Great photo! My Uncle met him when he dropped in at the Presbyterian church unannounced to worship. He was a Republican but I think he was for Obama. It was cute - a 90 year old man so excited.

Mary

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 06:11:53 am »
oy... politikal talk on a brain tumor website... oy gevalt! :)

Hoping, as we move forward with the new administration, that things will get on a good path, that not only affects those here stateside, but also for those abroad that endure what can resonate from the USA.

Captn, saying "hang tough m'dear" is difficult when I know what you are enduring..... so maybe a huggle will help the cause for now.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 09:03:16 am »
Fill the bill with Phyl for President in 2016!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 10:03:47 am »
FYLL THE BYLL WITH PHYLL, YEAH!!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 10:23:12 am »
Interestingly, I had phone calls this week with clients in South Africa, Germany, Australia and New Zealand.  If the people I talked to are a fair representation, the world opinion on Obama as our President Elect is very, very positive.  I feel that, along with the many domestic issues that need to be "fixed", our image in the international stage also needs a great deal of repair.  Let us hope that Obama is able to bring some healing to some of our international relations.  And reform to our healthcare system here at home!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 11:49:34 am »
On a brain tumor website?

I am a Canadian who resides in the USA. Having the election around me with not the right to vote- made me feel like a suffragette… as I tried to influence my American husband. Perhaps now it is time for me to finally fill out the naturalization forms.

Yes this discussion does fit here. Can we have this discussion here? “Yes we canâ€?   :D ;) ;)  LOL

This whole AN experience is what enlightened me of how many people here do not have access to quality healthcare based on their socio economic situations. I am one who does have good insurance to pick and choose a doctor and find people of greater knowledge & experience- out of the state I reside in. One too may AN patients had to leave work because of symptoms related to their AN tumor. Once they left their work they lost their medical insurance coverage as an employee benefit. :-[

I go to ANA meetings and my heart pours out to those who can only choose the AN treatment options that only their insurance will afford them and not always is it the best option (and plan) for their AN tumor treatment  :-\ …  but only what they can afford. I know a person who sold their house and moved in with their aging parent as to afford the treatment she needed. Many are having the surgery when really they are still an excellent “watch & waitâ€? candidate as they want to have their treatment before they retire and loose their employee benefits. Why?  ??? They are worried they might not have health insurance coverage when the time proves that the tumor actually has to be removed (or not). It was not until I went through this AN journey and went to ANA meetings that I developed some true empathy and understanding for what these people go through. Some people are not getting facial help as their insurance feel this is “cosmeticâ€?. Facial nerve trauma is so obviously related to the AN tumor yet some insurance companies do not get this. SO many patients are already fatigued from their AN tumor and yet they have to use their energy reserves to deal with self righteous insurance companies- only to get turned down. (Read our ANA insurance threads to see documented proof of this.) I am getting help from my excellent corporate insurance company however one too many are not this fortunate.  I guess this is why I am trying to work with the medical practioners, here  where I live, to make better care available to AN patients “in stateâ€?… Bringing in a neuro muscular training retraining speaker from another state… is just a start… but the truth is we DO need to change “the systemâ€? that is failing one too many of these AN patients (especially those with limited coverage or no insurance).

Some AN patient may not be as lucky as Michael Gates Gill who was actually “able bodied� enough to go find another job with a good benefit package. (Referring to The How Starbucks saved my Life book – soon to be a Tom Hanks starring movie -here.) For some … the sound of the espresso machine can be too much for AN patients with hyperacusis. Yet if these people could get proper treatment and occupational therapy this is what can get them back to health and it the workforce again… BUT if you have no insurance how do you afford help? Also people need to remember that this author is still on the W & W mode. Perhaps there will be a sequel story published.

The outcome of the election will hopefully, in the long run, allow people who are currently at an insurance disadvantage to seek “the best� caregivers and practioners to assist them through their AN journey.

We definitely need change here. There is not one policy or politician that is going to change this overnight. It is going to take a cooperative democratic process where people listen to each other. Most importantly having understanding and empathy for those who are disadvantaged who find themselves between a rock and a hard spot. We do not want to be in a position as my Canadian relatives are- in that you have to wait months to just get an MRI done. Nevertheless we also don’t want to be at the extreme that I am seeing with some patients here in the USA- no coverage. There needs to be balance.

I see the ANA as an advocacy group for patients. It is also an organization whose role is to educate. We all know that not only do patients need more education on AN treatment but so do some medical practioners as one too many of us waited years to get an accurate diagnoses. We can all do better at educating if we have adequate funding to provide instructional materials and forums … and it certainly helps if we have a “system� that works better… at a “federal leadership level� included.

One of the freedoms I SO respect here in the USA is the “freedom of speechâ€?. I truly feel that this is probably why this is the most active AN tumor on-line discussion group in “the worldâ€?. This forum has provided me a wealth of information that my 30 minute visits to the doctor did not… because people here were able to express their ideas.  I was able to follow leads and seek information.

Believe me the USA is not a place of apathy. “Freedom of speech� is a wonderful right! The key is to use it wisely and never take this for granted.

Can we discuss these issues here? Yes we can! This is one of the most helpful and civil forums I know of- many very respectful people here... to whom I am most grateful of.

God bless the USA…

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 11:57:39 am »
I never felt more passionate about an election before, I became a volunteer at Obama Headquarters in Concord, NH and had an awesome experience.  I was able to shake his hand in a crowd of people and I will treasure that forever.  I think the Americans got it right this time, I am proud of us.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 12:03:02 pm »
Hi My DazyHazyMazy  :-*  :-*  :-* (and all)

Well, since it's the AN Community forum, my feeling is that it can stay AS LONG as there is no mud slinging (we had enough of that over the past 2 years during the presidential race).  Many, like me, do not enjoy discussion our politikal views publically.

Those that want to participate here, please do, but NO MUD SLINGING!

For those that don't want to participate, well.... me thinks that you have the option not to read it.

FYI... I've already rec'd emails behind the scenes noting this thread and have faith in you all, that choose to discuss this here, will do so respectfully, or it goes *poof*.

As for me in 2016, I better be retired on some tropical island with the bloke putting sun lotion on my back.

Watching this thread. Honestly, it shouldn't be here due to the goal of this website but... will keep it... unless some other mod makes it go away... there's 4 of us on this Mod Ticket, ya know? :)

Phyl, the ByLL Fyller for 2016
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"