Author Topic: Bleeding from the ear  (Read 5829 times)

kwong521

Bleeding from the ear
« on: January 19, 2006, 11:43:51 pm »
Hey all,

I posted this in the pre-treatment section, but I thought I would post it here as well.  After cleaning her left ear recently (that is her bad ear, the acoustic neuroma is on the left side of her head), she found some blood on the q-tip.  She also said she felt this weird sensation, like a sponge was being removed from her ear and she could hear pretty well again (she can actually hear words and talking now, like on the telephone, although they still sound somewhat "muffled").  Prior to this, she had no useful hearing in the left ear.  She saw Dr. Brackmann prior to this and had scheduled TL surgery on Feb. 9, but now she doesn't know if she wants to go through it anymore. 

Any theories?  The MRI showed that she had a 2cm acoustic neuroma or meningioma on the left side of the head, but now my mom wants to take another one because she isn't sure if she even has a tumor after all.  Any ideas as to what might have started bleeding and bleeding through the ear?  Could that possibly be the tumor?  Or the tumor compressing on something and make that bleed?  Please help, we are really quite bewildered and confused. 

Thanks!  God bless, all. 
Sincerely, Christine

wanderer

Re: Bleeding from the ear
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 01:25:28 pm »
a 2cm tumor is a hard thing to miss on an MRI.     So while it would be great if it was wrong and there was no tumor I wouldn't get my hopes up about that.   

I would call doctor brackmann regarding the experience though.   Perhaps something else is going on.

Hearing can come and go and come back.    I experienced it years before I was Diagnosed with the tumor.   Eventually the hearing just was lost and that is how my tumor was diagnosed.

russ

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:32:56 pm »
 Hi Christine
  I doubt the bleeding is tumor related. Maybe wait 6 mo. and have another MRI to see what this 2 cm. AN is doing? If you're going to HEI, who am I to give advice? - smile -
  Russ

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:30:00 pm »
To my my mind, any blood in the ear is a bit strange as that is not normally found in an ear? Did you call your doctor and ask what that could be???

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 08:09:50 am »
I have never heard of bleeding from the ear related to A.N., my thoughts are a ruptured ear drum for some reason (infection out of control etc.). A trip to the GP is likely in order.
Q-tips are a big bad NO-NO by the way, majority of the population don't know how to use them properly and often are jamming thier ear too hard or too deep. Try having the shower spray pointed in there and then dry with kleenex lightly dapped (not twisted though). Kathleen
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:12:19 am by Kathleen_Mc »
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)