Author Topic: Getting screwed on the 27th, lots of ???'s  (Read 3259 times)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
Getting screwed on the 27th, lots of ???'s
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:05:29 am »
Hello all,
I know many of you have already had the Baha implant surgery and I'm hoping you can help me with some questions or at least be able to send me in the right directions of a link or website that might help too.
I am scheduled on the 27th at 12:30 and the ENT's office did suggest I take off the 28th as well.  So I am currently off of work that Wed and Thurs.  Is this for the beautiful look I will be supporting (nut cup, bandages, etc) or for pain?  Do I need to take that Fri off as well?  I have a desk job at a doctor's office if that makes a difference.
Will there be a lot of pain following the surgery?  After my AN surgery I always stayed on top of my pain meds, just wanting to know if I will need to do the same with this one?
I've heard so many of you say it's just a local.  I'm a real nervous nelly and don't do good with drill sounds, oozing out of the head, etc.  Will I be offered a twilight or can I suggest a twilight?  I'm guessing I shouldn't move during this procedure at all?  :P
Will there be follow up appt's to check the screw?  Just more time off work I guess  ???
Will I go home with the actual Baha and info that day or do they have you go back for all that at the Doc's office?  That's just a curiosity question!
Do I get shaved again?  My hair is just finally coming back in that spot  ;)  How do I wash my hair afterwards and when?
Then as far as the Baha thing.  Will I need to stock on batteries or something?  Are they like watch batteries?  I'm sure we take it off for bed and showers, etc, do we store it or just turn it off?  See I'm getting ahead of myself  :P
Okay, I think I've taking up enough of everyone's time.  I'm just so excited, the 90 days or so will seem like forever ::)
Thanks for always helping me out!!
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

lori67

Re: Getting screwed on the 27th, lots of ???'s
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:20:10 pm »
Susan,

I didn't need any pain meds after my surgery.  I got by on just tylenol.  I had general anesthesia, but like I've said before, I have 4 kids and will use any excuse to get in an uninterrupted nap.  I'm sure I would have been fine with local.  I took it easy the night of the surgery and the next day we had people over for a bbq and I took my daughter to gymnastics.  I didn't have a huge dressing or hat on mine, I just had a small bandage that was easily hidden under my hair, so no one even knew about the procedure.  I don't think you'd need to take much time off work.

As far as removing your bandage or washing your hair, that will depend on your doctor.  Some people are told to wait a day, a week...whatever.  My doctor said I could wash my hair that night if I wanted to.  I didn't really feel like it, so I waited til the next day.  All the doctors seem to have a preferred way to deal with things like that and I'm sure he will make it clear to you that day.  Also, some doctors will give you the BAHA and tell you to take it home and not wear it until you come back in and they tell you it's okay.  Mine just held onto mine until it was time to snap it on.

Yes, you will need batteries.  You'll get a few with your BAHA but you'll need to buy more for when those wear out.  I buy mine at Sam's Club or I watch for coupons in the Sunday paper and get them at the supermarket.  They are like watch batteries and the doctor will tell you what size to get.  You take it off for bed and showers and your kit will come with a little jar of beads that you can store your processor in that will help remove any moisture build up.

Oh, and the hair thing - my doctor just had to revove a little bit wasn't even noticeable.  It grew back fast.

Hope the 90 days flies by for you!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Goldie

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 06:02:03 pm »
I just had my BANA implant yesterday and am happy to report no pain!  I did fill the pain med prescription the doctor gave me "just in case" and took one when some pain started after the procedure, but I've needed nothing since (not even a Tylenol)!  I'm not sure if that's unusual, but I've gathered pain isn't usually a big issue for many.

I just had a local and it was okay.  If you're concerned about the noises and sensations, I think a light sedative would help.  As I was lying there, there were a couple of times I wished I had taken something.  They had me lying on my back with my head turned and I had no problem lying still.

I was able to wash my hair today and what little they shaved off is not noticeable at all.

I didn't take home my BAHA yet and am not sure how that works.  I see my surgeon for follow-up on Tuesday and don't really expect to see him again until closer to the time of using the BAHA unless I'm having problems.

I plan to order batteries from www.SimplyBatteries.com.  I use them to order for my mother's hearing aid at a discounted price.  They come in the mail quickly and it's very convenient.

Like Lori said, every doctor is different and I would just follow his/her advice as far as after-care.  Good luck!  I hope it's as easy for you as it was for me.   ;)

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:13:15 pm »
I had very minor pain the evening of the implant and the next morning - handled it with Extra-Strength Tylenol.  Doc gave me a Rx for Vicodin that I never had filled.

I went to lunch and my son's volleyball game immediately post op, but I skipped work the next day because I was sporting my lovely BAHA "hat" http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6035.0

I had local - no sedation - but know that my doc also does general and twilight if the patient wants that.

I had two followup appts after the surgery.  The first one was 7 days post op where the doc removed the "cap" and gave me instructions to put bacitracin on the site.  And I had an appt. 90 days post op where the doc made sure the site had healed and I received my processor.  I may have had an appt. 30 days post op to check on the healing, but I don't recall. 

Whether you get your processor the day of surgery depends on the doc; mine holds onto it until the waiting period is up.  Guess he just doesn't trust patients not to wear it prematurely - and in my case, at least, it was a good call on his part  :D

Shampooing is also a doc decision.  Mine let me shampoo 24 hours post op - when I removed my hat - if I held a cup over the site.  After a week of this, I was able to shampoo without the cup.  But I've heard of other docs with other shampooing rules. 

Batteries can be purchased just about anywhere you can purchase hearing aid batteries.  BAHA processors take size 13 (orange) hearing aid batteries.  I get my at Walmart, but you can also find them at Walgreens, Costco, Target, etc.

When you are not wearing your processor, you should remove the battery and put it in the jar of drying beads that Cochlear gives you.  You can also purchase a dry and store http://www.dryandstore.com/ online or from your audiologist. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Paul F

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:35:25 am »
Jan,
The BAHA Intenso takes a 675 battery.  It is needed for the extra power for those with moderate hearing loss on the "good" side.
Paul

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 11:55:38 am »
Thanks, Paul, good to know.

I guess I just assumed that Susan was getting a BP100 - not an Intenso.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 09:48:39 pm »
I am getting the BP 100 according to the doctors office.
Thanks everyone for their answers and the help.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »
No pain. No need to take time off. Batteries are inexpensive and available at lots of stores. The worst part for me was my head stayed numb around the implant area for months...probably because they really scalp you, removing flesh under your scalp, and your nerves are growing back or reconnecting. Small price to pay. Technology is great stuff! Have no fear...this is a great day in your life!

moe

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »
This post was from "Another NY postie" ,who just had the BAHA. Has a good description, and a picture too :)

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=13578.0
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty