Author Topic: mom of 23 yr old recently diagnosed AN  (Read 16985 times)

km5

Re: mom of 23 yr old recently diagnosed AN
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2008, 09:48:45 am »
And I have a question about surgery after-care...

What are the average number of days one stays in ICU after middle fossa surgery?
What are the average number of days in the hospital?

Dr. Brackman told David he would be "walking out" of the hospital i.e. he wouldn't be dizzy or so off-balance he couldn't walk.
Is that the average experience?

When people say they go to work after 3-5 weeks, what does one do in the meantime?
Dr. Brackman said David would not be confined to a bed, but could roam around the house, watch TV etc., just not drive.  Basically rest up from the surgery, then get the stitches out etc.  Is that the average experience?

Thanks so much again,
Kathy

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2008, 09:54:16 am »
And I have a question about surgery after-care...

What are the average number of days one stays in ICU after middle fossa surgery?
What are the average number of days in the hospital?

Dr. Brackman told David he would be "walking out" of the hospital i.e. he wouldn't be dizzy or so off-balance he couldn't walk.
Is that the average experience?

When people say they go to work after 3-5 weeks, what does one do in the meantime?
Dr. Brackman said David would not be confined to a bed, but could roam around the house, watch TV etc., just not drive.  Basically rest up from the surgery, then get the stitches out etc.  Is that the average experience?

Thanks so much again,
Kathy

Kathy,

1.  A person is in ICU for 24 hours.
2.  I was in the hospital  four days and walked out of the hospital. I was tired the first few weeks.
3. I returned to work full time after five weeks. During the first five weeks, I recuperated and followed the doctors orders: no lifting, etc.. I stayed in CA for two weeks and slept a lot the first week.  At one week, I was out for dinner in Hancock Park. 

There is a thread about HEI experiences.  I'll look for it.  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=18.msg153#msg153

Kate
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:51:42 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Lainie181818

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2008, 01:44:38 pm »
Kathy,
My AN was 1.7cm I had mid fossa surgery at House. I was in ICU 24 hrs and hospital a total of 5 days. Yes I walked out of the hospital [ with assistance ] the drive home was a feeling of being a goldfish in a bowl being driven in a car. I hope you understand that description. I basically slept a lot for the first few weeks, the fatigue is unbelievable and it is better to not try and fight it. I had no taste in my mouth for about 10 months and lost 20lbs. For me that was the only good thing. I went to vestibular training for about 2 months and still do the exercises. I relied totally on my husband for the first 6 months. I think I drove for the first time
about 2 months after surgery. I am now 2 years along and while my balance is not what it was I have to keep "plodding on" I have a BAHA and I am happy with it. For me the worst thing has been the facial paralysis. I am sure I feel it is a lot worse than others see it. I am still dealing with that. If you read my post about Nintendo DS and eye training you will see that I just got back from a cruise. I Zip lined over the rain forest, rode on the back of a scooter, and was on a catamaran for a 4 hour sail. I think that you have to decide that life goes on, all be it not the same. People recover at different speeds, and attitude definitely plays a huge part. I wish that the Dr would have been more realistic about outcome and recovery. I was led to believe that there was a 70% chance my hearing would be saved and better than 90% my facial nerve would not be affected. and basically my life would soon get back to normal.  When I went back for check ups after the surgery and asked about all the things that were happening to me, I was told that is normal and there is nothing you can do to help it. Basically I would leave the clinic very upset. Your son is young and his AN is very small, arm yourself with as much information as you can, and get consultations from more than 1 Dr.
Lainie.

Blanche

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2008, 03:24:23 pm »

HI,

In answer to your questions after my surgery,

I was in ICU for 24 hours

I stayed in hospital 14 days in total (standard time INI like to keep you in)

I walked out of the hosp feeling a little off balance but ok - walked round Hannover zoo with 2 kids 16days after surgery.

Got the train home from Germany to London 21 days after surgery. So was definately walking etc!!!

I Just spent the 3 months after surgery watching tv and just generally relaxing  still walked to school with kids and walked to collect them. My balance felt slightly off and i had a stiff neck and headaches (not that bad) but that all improved over 12 weeks.

I was told that any damage to the balance nerve would rectify itself in a few months which in my experience was what happened.

11 months on balance absolutely fine. My doc recommended lots of sport to get my balance back like dance, a raquet sport or martial art - i opted for tai boxing! My balance improved very well with that.

Hope that helps.
12mm left side AN - diagnosed 10/11/06, had surgery 7/5/07 at INI Hospital Hannover, Germany, Prof. Samii. Initial symptoms were tinnitus & fullness in ear. Post surgery have lost hearing in left ear but still have tinitus! More importantly had NO facial Palsy and now feeling great and fighting fit!

lisa2

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2008, 07:43:37 pm »
Hi,

I was in ICU for 24 hours and out of the hospital in 5 days.  After 8 days I was riding the public bus system in LA and shopping at the Grove.  After 12 days I flew 4 hours back to Atlanta.  No problems with balance or headaches.  I had a translab approach.

Hope that helps!

Lisa