Author Topic: Ten years and smiling  (Read 1676 times)

RosemaryL

Ten years and smiling
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:23:14 pm »
I recently had my ten-year followup.  Hubby and I were delighted to learn that the MRI shows no change compared to a year ago.  I made the mistake of not getting copies of my post surgery films (which are now irretrievable), so we had to establish a new baseline.  I will have another followup in a year and, if the MRI is still stable, then I move to the biannual followups.  Moral of that story - get and keep copies of your post surgery MRIs.

I've sort of been dropping in on the ANA forum for a couple of months and reliving my early post-surgery days through you all.  I did have some facial nerve swelling after ceasing the steroids, but my eye works fine and my face is now about as symmetrical as the average person's - which means I look normal but not perfectly even.  That tingling along the incision line finally stopped sometime in the past couple of years - it didn't hurt, was just weird; now there is actually normal feeling in the skin.  I am alas SSD - I tried the 2 hearing aids with the wire approach, but gave it up when I had to wear glasses to see - too much hardware behind the ears caused headaches.  I've learned to compensate and most folks have no idea I am SSD.

I went back to work 5 weeks after surgery; people were very kind and mostly relieved to discover that I was still alive and looking relatively normal.  I resumed my career and worked until my company's early retirement age.  Now I enjoy life, visit family and friends, volunteer, take piano lessons, and (did I say) enjoy life.  And generally I don't even think about the AN anymore. 

All in all, ten years after the most traumatic day of my life, life is good.  In a few days, I'll stop checking in on the forum and get on with living.  I wish you each a speedy and full recovery.  May you enjoy the holidays and soon be back to enjoying your normal life.

Best regards to all,
Rosemary
1.5 cm right side AN removed by retrosigmoid approach, 12/1/98
Laligam Sekhar and Sanjay Prasad, George Washington Univ Hosp
deaf on right side, facial feeling and function fully recovered

sgerrard

Re: Ten years and smiling
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:31:14 pm »
What a lovely post! Thank you so much, Rosemary, it is not often we get a 10 year update. It is wonderful to hear that it has all faded away, and that you are truly enjoying life every day. Very inspiring.

Please stop by on your 20th anniversary for another update, if you feel like it.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

satman

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:50:31 am »
congrats,great to hear poz story,best of luck from here on out.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:11:35 am »
Thank you for making yourself known and posting your positive experiences since your surgery! 

Your story is a welcome addition to those in the beginning of their journey offering hope and success in their choice of treatment and also to those having post-treatment issues giving them hope these issues will fade away.  Everyone's tumor/treatment is "special" and no two are alike, but it is good to know with time all wounds heal! 

Glad you posted! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 09:23:46 am »
Rosemary,
Thank you for your post.  It's good to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Some, likie me, have had pretty good outcomes from the start with only some of the smaller issues to deal with.  Your post gives hope to many.  Please do pop in from frime to time if you'd like and have the time.  Positive vibes from a person who has been there and overcome their issues inspire and give hope  those who are still at the beginning of their AN journey. 

Wishing you a wonderful holiday!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:58:57 am »
Rosemary:

Allow me to express my appreciation for your post.  Although we rarely see a 10-year post-op AN patient here, ('Kaybo' is another long-term 'veteran') we welcome you.  I'm certain that your straightforward account of your healing, recovery and resumption of a normal life a decade out from your surgery has encouraged many.  Thank you. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.