Author Topic: 2 year Anniversary  (Read 3618 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
2 year Anniversary
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:33:08 pm »
Today is my 2 Year Anniversaryfor my Middle Fossa surgery.   

I HAD to come to this site and say how THANKFUL I am for this forum and the Acoustic Neuroma Association!!   The little pamphlets that many of you recommended for me to get from the ANA were so helpful before AND after my surgery.     There are so many people on there that were  and are always there to help answer questions and just there for support if myself (or anyone) needs to vent.   We ANers are so lucky to have a forum like this!!    I have made friends on here and chatted on the phone and do emails with many.   I am friends with many on Facebook too!!    I will be honest and say that after about a year I am not on this forum daily, but do come back often and try to help & support others.   Many of the people I have become closest to I am still very close to on Facebook.

As for me, I had the Middle Fossa surgery in hopes of preserving my hearing.   Supposedly some of my hearing was still there according to the testing they do when closing me up.  But that night I got some MAJOR swelling and a bit of trouble getting it controlled.   My doctors think it took a toll on my already weak hearing nerve.   The doctors thought I had a bit of a chance for it to come back once the swelling was under control.  But,  a week later I ended up with delayed facial paralysis.   Not sure if that added to the stress of the hearing nerve or what, but it never came back.     I was lucky enough that the paralysis was basically better after about a month.   I still don't have tears on my left side, but at least my eye will now close and I can get by with some drops on most days.
My tumor was not big enough to totally disrupt my balance prior to surgery.  So after surgery I had to really focus on the balancing and therapy.  As of today, I would say I am pretty normal except when I am really tired.   
I AM one that the weather can effect me.  I get headaches so easy.  Living in Michigan don't help since we have a change in weather a LOT.  HAHAHA

Many here know that I did have a lot of problems since my surgery, even to this day with pain.   I am not like many with pain in my surgery area, but I do have lots of neck & base of skull pain on my opposite side.   I DID have previous neck issues before going into surgery do to being in an auto accident years ago.   My surgeons DO believe that the positioning of my neck and length of the surgery played a huge impact on my current pain.  ALSO, being SSD in the beginning I didn't turn my body well to listen to people/sounds.  I just craned my neck a lot.  That too has not helped with my head & neck pain.  Now I am much better at turning my whole body when able in order to hear things.    (I fought with insurance for a year, but still denied a baha device....I REALLY want an Oticon Ponto unit.

As for the surgery & that area, it feels normal and actually did within months after the surgery.   Just a bummer we didn't plan better for my neck issues or something.

Due to the chronic neck pains (along with other issues I've had) I was awarded a temporary disability (will be reviewed in 1 year).   Because of this I will also have a chance to get Medicare about 2 months before my 1 year review.  I for sure will be checking into a baha device.  I know that will help in a great way!

Thank you for reading/'listening' to my bit of a story.   And for those that were with me since day 1....

T H A N K   Y O U!!!!!
Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 2 year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:57:14 pm »
Hi, Denise ~

First, congratulations on your two-year ANniversary!  Your gracious words regarding the value of the ANA discussion forums is very encouraging and certainly validates the time spent by all of us attempting to help each other in whatever way we can.  I hope your struggle to obtain insurance for a BAHA is ultimately successful and that your pain will abate in time.  Thanks again for your very sincere and informative post. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:00:13 pm »
Awwwwwww, Denise .....

You have helped others as much as we have helped you ..... that is the wonderful thing about this forum ..... we are in this thing together.  But thanks for sharing your thank you in this public way!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 08:30:11 am »
Hey Denise! Congrats on the two year ANniversary!  Time flies when you are having fun, eh?  So sorry to hear you are still suffering after all this time...after reading the journies of people like you and Mei Mei, it's amazing how you guys still stay so positive through all of it! Good luck with the coming year and hoping that you start feeling better! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 04:04:37 pm »
Thanks!

Jay, I finally have been in good hands for my pain control.  Getting epidural injections in my cervical area and injections in base of my skull.  Helps tremendously!! 

Who would ever think a car accident years ago could wreak havoc on your life later.   At least I know some reasoning behind the pains I deal with, otherwise I'd really need to pull out all my hair!!  hahaha
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 06:33:23 am »
Denise

First.... Happy 2nd ANniversary!!!!!  Secondly..... HUGGLEZ!!!!!!!!!!  Your journey has certainly had its ups and downs but sending those hugglez your way!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 05:18:47 pm »
Congratulations, Denise  ;D

Definitely go for a BAHA - you won't be sorry you did.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 03:20:09 pm »
Got a copy of my 2 year MRI report in the mail today and I think it all looks good.  My surgical side looks unchanged, my other tumor in the choroid plexus in unchanged, AND my Chiari Malformation is unchanged.     So that sounds GOOD to me  ;D

My doctor is being sent the CD and copy of report and he will call me with the results.  That is great since he is 3 1/2-4 hrs. away. 
yeah!

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE for EVERYTHING you have/do for me and others on this forum!!

Denise (MI)

kraynok2

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 09:32:06 pm »
Denise,
  Congratulations on your 2nd anniversary.  I'm glad your MRI looks good.  I think we all get a bit worried when it comes time for our next MRI.  I agree with you that this site and forum were a saving grace.  This site was a tremendous help to me.  I am so glad I found it.  The facial paralysis information even helped me when I had to have a second surgery five months after the AN for a Parotid Gland Tumor.  Good luck to you.
Sandy