Author Topic: I'm a postie!  (Read 3233 times)

jamssp

I'm a postie!
« on: March 28, 2013, 12:47:32 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Just checking in (although I have done so on the Facebook page).  I had my surgery two weeks ago (3/14) and the drs. removed 90-95% of the tumor, just leaving a little on the facial nerve (as they told me they would).  I was all dressed (literally!) and ready for discharge the following Monday when uh, oh,  a single CSF drip!  Back I went to "drain" for the next four days so I didn't get home until last Friday.  I feel that I'm really only about one week post op therefore since I didn't feel like I was doing too much healing while I was still in the neuro ICU!  Although my face was fine immediately following the surgery, I now have some facial weakness and eye blinking/lag issues.  I'm learning to love "Refresh" products! The drs. are sure these will resolve themselves and I hope so!  I'm just not a very patient patient.  Meanwhile, my balance is improving (I don't need the cane) and so far no major headaches.  I go back and get my staples out on Monday. 

That's it from here!

Mary

2 cm AN, Translab March 2013, Dr's. Gutin & Selesnick, Memorial Sloan Kettering, NY.
SSD but otherwise doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: I'm a postie!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:41:50 pm »
Mary ~

Congratulations on your successful AN surgery and thanks for posting an update on your recovery.  I trust your post-op issues will resolve soon. 

As you noted, patience is part of the healing process.  For AN post-op patients, time is definitely on our side as things usually do improve. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kmr1969

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:13:02 pm »
Mary,

Sounds like after your minor setback your are on your way.

You need to really focus on being patient.  Talk it nice and slow and when in doubt do less.

Your body will do fine in the healing process if you give yourself lots of rest.

I'm not a very patient person either and it killed me to be at home for 6 weeks recovering and not doing any "little" projects around the house.  But, every time I thought about pushing myself, I thought is doing this really worth the risk of ending up back in the hospital for a CSF leak?  It never was.

Instead, I did lots and lots of walks and lots and lots of naps.

Best wishes for a continued successful recovery,

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:11:40 am »
Congrats on being a postie!

I hope the rest of your recovery is uneventful  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

millie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 07:03:01 pm »
Take your time and heal!  Naps and lots of drops!  Do not feel guilty about lying around with your feet up ...watch all those movies you missed...although you may have to hold one eye closed.  It will get better and better.   Mil

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 02:47:49 pm »
Mary, congrats on being a postie! Things will continue to get better for you so just hang in there and just listen to your body. It'll tell you what you need to do! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

neetze1

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:18:12 pm »
Hey Mary!
I hope you are doing even better now!  I just got home from HEI on Easter morning.  I am doing great.  I get tired very quickly but I am very happy with the outcome so far. 
Continue resting!  :)
Anita
South Jersey
Translab 3/20/13 at HEI for 3.5 centimeter
Dr. Luxford, Dr. Lekovic, Dr. Stefan

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 06:27:09 pm »
I join in the congratulations for being a postie.  I wish good things for you.   :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.