Author Topic: MRI at 10 yrs post-op?  (Read 2364 times)

brandi42

MRI at 10 yrs post-op?
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:11:56 pm »
In 2002, I had a 4cm neuroma, surgery, 4cm re-growth, another surgery, and a follow up with gamma knife treatment. Within the first 2 yrs, the tumor remnant decreased in size from 11mm to 7mm. The last time I had an MRI was in 2007 and the remnant remained at 7mm. This year I am 10 yrs post-op and am awaiting my neurosurgeon's advice. Does anyone have opinions of how many years after surgery that I should get MRIs and when?
Brandi
4cm Right AN Craniotomy April 2002, right side deafness, 4cm AN regrowth 2nd Craniotomy Sept 2002, Gamma knife Nov 2002, 11mm tumor remnant remains currently.
Barrow Neurological Institute. Dr. Spetzler

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: MRI at 10 yrs post-op?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:19:31 am »
Hi, Brandi ~

As an AN patient who had a 4.5 cm AN surgically reduced ('debulked') and the tumor's blood supply severed, then underwent 26 FSR treatments to destroy it's ability to re-grow (it didn't) I would suggest an MRI at five-year intervals, which, in your case, would be this year.  If no growth is indicated on this year's MRI, I would assume your neurosurgeon would not require any further MRI scans as you would be 10 years post-op with no growth. 

However, I must add the caveat that I'm not a physician, only a patient, and cannot offer anything but a patients unprofessional opinion.  I think I can speak for the many other posters on these forums when I make the statement that, although we have, collectively, a wealth of practical experience dealing with an acoustic neuroma and all the varied issues that are associated with the tumor, surgery and/or radiation, we are not licensed doctors and are not offering medical advice.  I'm sure you realize this but I thought it was prudent to state it at the outset, just to be clear.

Obviously, your neurosurgeon will give you his professional opinion on when to schedule an MRI.  He may want you to have one this year (5 years post GK) but perhaps not.  My neurosurgeon had me undergo frequent MRI scans following my surgery and radiation but the last (2008) showed definite necrosis and the tumor remnant had began to shrink.  In addition, my recovery had been excellent (no issues) and at that point he didn't believe further MRI scans were necessary.  This neurosurgeon had over 3 decades of experience with AN patients and was extremely knowledgeable.  I may have a follow-up MRI next year, if his successor (he retired) asks me to do so but if she does not, I'll forgo the MRI unless I notice AN symptoms recurring, and believe me, I'm very alert to that happening but so far, so good.  I hope you have a similar outcome.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:40:48 am »
Hi Brandi42,

I think that is a question your doctors can answer, they are the ones who have the authority to order the MRI and get the insurance approval.  Unless you hate getting them, I would ask for one a year if your doctors agree to that.  Why not be tested regularly, what do you have to lose ?  That's my 2 cents.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:44:02 pm »
It pretty much depends on your doctor and what he/she suggests.

My doc had me get an annual MRI for the first 5 years post op and since they were all "clean" I don't need to get another MRI for 5 years.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways