Author Topic: Face spasms  (Read 2509 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Face spasms
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:04:51 pm »
I am at 20 months post surgery/post paralysis and just this last week my face is going crazy. I'll go months with my face being still with no twitches then i.e.my eyebrow will twitch like crazy then it will go away. This week my eyebrow, bottom lip, under my eye and by my nose/cheek is in a crazy twitch. My husband can sit and watch it....it is that visible. For those of you with paralysis did you experience this and to what degree were the twitches.....could you see them in the mirror? DId they eventually go away after your healing was complete? I'm hoping this isn't permanent and it is only the nerve going through a healing phase but instead of it being localized to one area like in the past my entire left side it crazy twitching (paralyzed side). Do you think this is pretty common during nerve recovery?
Angie

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Face spasms
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:47:35 pm »
Angie,  I never had any twitching, etc.,   so I'm thinking this has to be good ! !    YEA ! ! !   
You may need to get a facial therapist to avoid synkenisis. if that's a concern. 

Sorry I can't help with this,  but so happy to hear about the twitches ! !

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:49:46 pm »
Angie,

I agree with Nancy, I think the twitching is a good thing.  I have twitching, but it is not as visible as what you are describing.  Even though it's been 3 1/2 years the twitching is still around from time to time.  Luckily it is not bothersome to me.  I hope yours  means that you will be seeing some good movement coming back soon.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:35:18 am »
Angie
I'm 18 months post OP and still have twitches and I'm sure you could see them in a mirror.  They are usually only located left corner of mouth or left eyebrow, but it usually only lasts a few minutes and then I may not have it for another few weeks.   A few days ago I was chewing gum (which I haven't done since surgery, afraid of bitting my cheek or lip) and I walked by a mirror and noticed that  everytime I chewed my left eye would blink (only left eye).  I really had to concentrate to stop it from blinking when I chewed.  What is strange is my eye doesn't normally blink as much as the other (good side) when it normally should.  I also agree with Jean and Nancy and think that every movement is a good movement, even if it does freak me out sometimes.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany