Author Topic: Two weeks and counting...  (Read 17080 times)

oHIo

Two weeks and counting...
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:48:44 pm »
Hi everyone.  As many of you know, I was diagnosed in June of 07 with a right sided AN and my presenting symptom was severe vertigo.  I still have 100% hearing discrimination but my 6 month MRI showed tumor growth and the vertigo continues intermittently.  The constant dizziness I could stand, but the vertigo is not tolerable. 

After becoming very knowledgeable about ANs due to my research and the great information I got from everyone here, I have committed to surgery (a translab approach) on March 20th.  No one (including House) felt they could save my hearing, or get all of the tumor with a hearing sparing approach.  Bummer.   :(

Thanks to everyone for all of the great support.  You have helped me work through the process to come to a decision I believe will provide me with the best outcome for my situation.  I am anxious to become a postie.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Two weeks and counting...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:12:04 pm »
oHIo -

I know how hard it is to make a treatment decision, but it sounds like you have done your homework and you are doing what is best for you.

The next 2 weeks will fly by; you'll be a postie before you know it.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Best wishes for a successful surgery,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 01:17:45 am »
Hi oHIo, I looked back at some earlier posts. It sounds like the vertigo is a real problem; you should soon be over that, which will be a great relief. Congratulations on making the call. I am just a bystander when it comes to surgery, but I have always liked the sound of the trans-lab best, even with the hearing loss involved.

Maybe later you can do like Jan, and get a BAHA. As I understand it, you would then also need an extra toothbrush, a bottle of Dawn dish washing liquid, and some cake string.  :D  (See the BAHA posts for the story).

Have a great surgery and a nice gentle recovery.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:26:49 am »
Maybe later you can do like Jan, and get a BAHA. As I understand it, you would then also need an extra toothbrush, a bottle of Dawn dish washing liquid, and some cake string.  :D  (See the BAHA posts for the story).
Steve

I apologize for getting off topic here, but had to say "Very amusing, Steve".   ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:54:47 am »
oHIo~
You will be in my thoughts & prayers over the next few weeks.  I am praying for a peaceful couple of weeks as you anticipate you surgery and quick healing after!  Where will you have it??
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:52:42 am »
oHIo - good luck to you.  We'll all be thinking about you and anxiously awaiting to hear how it goes. 

And Steve - you crack me up!  By the way, the dishwashing liquid comes in some very nice scents!  You can make your whole head smell like green apples if you want - and no streaks.   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 01:51:29 pm »
oHIo,

Congratulations on making your decision.
Just last week I decided on the translab approach scheduled for May.
Three of the 4 Drs I consulted gave me a 10% chance for saving my hearing, which is still serviceable (68-75%). Bummer indeed!!

I too look forward to joining the postie club.
I'm stocking up on toothbrushes and dish soap for my BAHA.

Many prayers, good luck and wishes are being sent your way.
Syl

1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:12:29 pm »
oHIo:  I'll be putting out good thoughts for you.   Take a deep breath & exhale, this is quite a journey.

Wishing you all the best,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 07:00:58 pm »
oHIo,

I am going to be in Eastgate May 9,10,11.  I sure hope we can get together at Frische's.  Keep in touch.  My prayers will be with you on surgery day.

Lois

Mama R

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 07:31:51 pm »
Hey Ohio -I too am having AN surgery a day after you on March 21th -  At U of C with Doc Pensak & Theo. I may have had a couple of conversations with you off-line. If not then there are now 3 of us Ohion's scheduled around the same time. Where are you having the surgery?
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

Mama R

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 07:54:31 pm »
Ha-Ha ..I just a string of e-mails and you are the person off-line..I hope to see you there!
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

oHIo

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 08:40:35 pm »
Thank you everyone for the well wishes.  Nerves are getting the best of me today.  I had my preop testing and an anesthesia consult done (no big deal) but we are experiencing a blizzard and driving in the blowing snow with waves of dizziness really exhausted me.  Spending over 4 hours round trip on the road for what should have been an hour trip did not help my anxiety. 

To help with nerves I have gone on a cleaning frenzy.  My friends asked me if I was "nesting" (like a pregnant mom before she gives birth).   

Ohio Also...at UC.  We've talked offline and will meet in the hospital, I'm sure.  I'll be the one with the wobbly gait, bandage on my head and possibly a crooked smile. ;D 

Steve...The dishwashing liquid shouldn't be hard to come by since Proctor and Gamble headquarters is in our city ;D  I just went to the dentist, so I'll hang on to the new toothbrush they gave me.  Cake string...Hmm...I need to read the story, but if I can't find cake string, will a slice of cake do? ;)

Boppie...would absolutely love to see you when you are in.  Give me a call. 

I appreciate everyone's prayers and good thoughts.  I will have my family give Boppie a call so she can send an update. 

calimama

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 09:21:16 pm »
Anthor dumb Q from this newbie... but what is a "BAHA"?

???
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 09:25:10 pm »
No question is ever dumb b/c you wouldn't ask if you didn't want to know!!  Does that sound enough like the teacher that I used to be?  Seriously though, it is true!  I would tell you, but others can explain better as I don't even have that!!!   ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 09:52:01 pm »
Hi Calimama1

K's right - no such thing as a dumb question around here!  My  primary care doc didn't even know what one was.

A BAHA is a Bone Anchored Hearing Aid.  It is a small hearing aid that attaches to a screw that's been implanted in your head to send sound waves from your deaf side through the bone and into your good ear, which is kinda the simplified explanation.  If you look under the topic of Hearing Issues on the home page, you'll see a lot mentioned about BAHA's.  It seems a lot of us have been getting them the past few months.  Too bad we didn't look into the group discount....

K - sorry - I think I forgot to raise my hand before I answered that.... :-[

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.