Author Topic: SKull Base Possibility  (Read 50514 times)

chopper

Re: SKull Base Possibility
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 08:02:46 am »
HA! He was direct during my preop, which I respect-regarding the relationship.

Indeed!  A no BS approach...couldn't have asked for anything better.  Straight forward and blunt with no sugar coating regarding what may or may not happen after the surgery.

Nice that you got in there so quickly.  Hope all goes well with the procedure and well as the recovery.  I think you'll be surprised with the speed in which you go from feeling like ass (day 1) to being discharged, then starting the recovery process from there.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 01:57:20 pm »
Well some new info today.
Always wondered why staff, and even the Dr. seemed on edge.

I Recently dug up some legal info.

http://tinyurl.com/y6ral7

Not to say that this is the reason, but chopper-eron- a question...

Did they have you sign a big document that states you can not do any post operation litigation, only through arbitration?
I have never had that experience with Drs.

From other, as he would state, "competitors", or even the ceo of this site mentioning, "no comment"
has me suspicious.
..and then the Cedar Sinai change--why to the brotman? They state, "cedar sinai had problems with sterilization"
I don't buy it.

If any of you out there no much about medicine law and know how and where to google, drop a comment please.

re:
Accusation filed : 1-13-05
Accusation withdrawn : 5-26-06

5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

GOIN2LA

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 09:41:13 pm »
 JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW, MY WIFE JUST HAD GRADE 4, 4CM REMOVED MONDAY AT SBI, COULD HAVE NOT ASK FOR BETTER OUTCOME, SHE WAS OUTSIDE AT HOTEL TODAY EATING LUNCH IN COURT YARD. SHE IS LITTLE WEAK, BUT OTHER THAN THAT ALL IS WELL. SHE EVEN HAS SOME HEARING LEFT, BUT SHE ALSO HAD NORMAL HEARING BEFORE. THE DOCTOR WAS AND IS AMAZING!! 
  SHE IS NOT SORE ON BODY AT ALL, COULD BE DUE TO BEING A WOMAN, LESS WEIGHT?  WE ARE FLYING TO SANTA ROSA TOMORROW AM TO HER MOMS, THEN TUESDAY BACK TO MI.  I'LL HAVE HER PUT UP A POST ON SAT. WE HAVE BEEN WATCHING THIS BOARD FOR SOMETIME AND I KNOW SHE WANTS TO SHARE HER STORY.
Diagnosed October 20,2006
5cm AN Whopper Sticky like Glue
Tumors Name - Ted
Surgery date November 20, 2006
Skull Base Institute
Dr Shahinian
Scripture - Philippians 4:6-9

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 01:55:50 am »
how weird man,  :D
Shahinian mentioned he worked on a "female patient" just this last Monday! ha! that must be your wife@! what a small world.

cool goin2LA!, I just added u to messenger, and sent you an email with my cell-ring me tomorrow if you can or IM me if use messenger.

so much for the patient to patient program they never set me up with,

WooT thumbs up for the NET~!@!@!  ;D

I got a pic up of the consult on the site

thestatus.com

h

biologyfly06

Obita

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 06:18:44 am »
GOINTOLA:

What great news!!  Your wife had a bigun.........looking forward to her post.

ixta:

Good luck Monday - I will be watching thestatus.com for updates.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 11:18:58 pm »
Hell this Forum is great, what would we vulnerable patients do wo it!

I got a call from goin2las wife today and we chatted, Shahinian just took her AN out this last Monday and she seems to be doing fine!
Thanks for the call wife of goin2LA!

Also I called Zach, he had his out 2 yrs ago but had similar experiences with SBI!
Great phone support guys n gals! thanks alot!

Only freaky feeling I'm getting is I may not wake up. I've never had gen anesthesia before, I sure as heck ain't watching SAW3 tonight on HBO! :o

We spent some time at Santa Monica Pier today and rocked out to the Hare Krishnas on Venice Beach lol.
I haven't been able to get asleep till 2am lately.

In surgery, they use MAST pants ???
I have worked in EMS and understand these are used to compress your lower extremities in order to push blood up to where you need them during a traumatic situation.

I do not understand the physiological reasoning for them to prevent blood clotting. I know that there has been controversy in the field of EMS due to decompressing them too fast can cause shock and such. OR staff need to watch blood pressure and what not.

I asked shahinian to video and photograph the resection. I am sure he will do it in parts.
If the community here wants them posted I will. I come from Health background and EMS so blood does not bother me.
It is for people that want to know what physically is going on, I know chopper posted some and I appreciate those chop. 8)

Cheryl R

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 05:41:36 am »
Were you told you would be having the MAST pants specifically?    With my 2 AN surgeries and also in the hospital where I work I have only seen SCD stockings used.  Sequential compression and can't think of the last word.      They aren't as "complete" covering as the MAST so I assume less risk for BP problems.    They are just 3 sections of rhe inflatable material which velcro around the legs.  2 around the lower leg and one just above the knee.      The reasoning for use is to prevent blood pooling in the lower extremities.      I have never seen the pressure set high enough to cause BP problems.             
       Hope this helps.                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Obita

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 07:35:20 am »
I had the "pants" on too for my surgery and the following day.  Then, for my total hips a few months later, I had the same but shorter. Only up to the knee.  The nurses called the short ones "nemo boots".  My understanding is they keep the blood moving around because blood pressure is lower in the legs? and they will prevent clots from forming and moving to a vital organ.

Good luck to you tomorrow, Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 05:37:13 pm »
Were you told you would be having the MAST pants specifically?    With my 2 AN surgeries and also in the hospital where I work I have only seen SCD stockings used.  Sequential compression and can't think of the last word.      They aren't as "complete" covering as the MAST so I assume less risk for BP problems.    They are just 3 sections of rhe inflatable material which velcro around the legs.  2 around the lower leg and one just above the knee.      The reasoning for use is to prevent blood pooling in the lower extremities.      I have never seen the pressure set high enough to cause BP problems.             
       Hope this helps.                     Cheryl R

Cheryl, thanks for your comments, I suppose they are different pants, i've only had experience with EMS type.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 05:37:55 pm »
Made a movie, Tomorrow is the DAY!

I wonder if I will loose any weight with that thing out.

http://tinyurl.com/ymehzx

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 07:02:12 am »
well its 5am, day of the operation, I'll post asap, and my friend should be updating my status page starting around 9am or so.
wish I could update it!

status info above somewhere..

I didn't eat past midnight, stopped eating around 845, hope it doesn't end up on the floor of the OR.

flier58

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 07:30:56 am »
Good luck ixta.  We are thinking about you!!!!
Flier58

Battyp

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 03:08:34 pm »
oh funny movie....let me know when you win an academy award for it ;o)  sending you good thoughts today!

chopper

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 08:41:33 am »
I didn't eat past midnight, stopped eating around 845, hope it doesn't end up on the floor of the OR.

Hope you'll have a towel handy when they come to move you around at some point in the ICU.  That was the worst time of the stay there....ralphing thanks to that darn anesthesia.  Thankfully the nurse was on the ball and had a towel near!

Hope all went well, and look forward to updates on your recovery.  Knowing what your going through, there are a lot of people here no doubt wishing you a complication free and speedy recovery!
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 03:24:05 pm »
im back slow mo, check out my posts on the status. I am going for MRI now, my mental status pretty low. I am slow mo vertigo like that u2 song. thanks for support