Author Topic: How many hours does surgery last (on average)  (Read 43156 times)

Shelley A

How many hours does surgery last (on average)
« on: April 03, 2013, 03:38:15 pm »
So, I know surgery lengths vary from patient to patient.  I just want to take a poll and get an average.  I have surgery scheduled on Friday and keep getting asked how long it will take.

Thanks,
Shelley

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: How many hours does surgery last (on average)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 03:42:31 pm »
Approximately 5 hours for each of my surgeries (one retrosigmoid and one translab).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:43:46 pm »
Shelly ~

It does vary.  Mine took 9 hours but I've read posts from AN surgery patients that took under 4 hours and a few that went much longer.  I'd say 8 hours is average but we'll see what the consensus is.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

rsteph

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:06:39 pm »
My surgery took 12 hours.  We are all unique.
3.7 cm AN Translab Aug 08' 100 percent removal UT Southwestern - CSF leak, Bacterial Meningitus. Rt side Facial Paralysis.  Partial facial movement returned 11 months post op.  Still healing

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:30:00 pm »
I get to give you the scary answer.

Both HEI and MCV surgeons estimated 14-18 hours for me. Surgery ended after 32 hours.

That is soooooo very unusual. I am simply a very difficult patient. Don't go by me. Your docs probably should have an estimate for you.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

LakeErie

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:50:38 pm »
My time will be the on the short side. I had a minimally invasive retrosigmoid that removed 95% to 97% of the tumor in just under 3 hours through a craniotomy the size of a quarter. I spent no time in an ICU, was up walking in under 24 hours, and discharged in less then 48. And if I had this tumor again, I'd have the same procedure. Good luck with yours.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 07:06:39 am »
Hi Shelley,
First best wishes for a most successful surgery in the morning,, you "get"to sleep through it ,, your family and friends will be the ones in that anxious wait mode,,

My Dr had told us 5-6 hrs and my translab was closer to 12 hrs,, there are SO many factors that affect that timeframe,, many of which are unforseen until they are in surgery,, as was my case with a very deep tumor and facial nerve involvement ,,

I agree with Jim that 8 is probably pretty average,, I would just tell family etc to plan to "spend the day ",,,,,,,our wishes for peace and calm spirit in these preceding hours and for your recovery,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 09:29:09 pm »
Six hours here! Although I don't remember a single second! LOL :)
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

lkrk

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:44:35 am »
Good Luck!  My Translab was on March 13th was 5 hours.  My tumor was not vascular and it was not sticky.  I hope you have the same results. 

Lauren
1.5 cm; translab approach on March 13, 2013
Dr. Driscoll; Dr. Link of Mayo Clinic
St Mary's Hospital, Rochester MN
SSD
Lauren

Diagnosed 6/29/11 7mm
Dec 2012  1.5 cm
Translab scheduled 3/13/13

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 05:52:59 am »
10 hours, and that included , my BAHA surgery...like Jay, I don't remember any of it. It was harder on my wife.

James

millie

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 04:39:06 am »
Five hours "wheels in wheels out" as the doctor told me...and it was sticky.

mk

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:52:28 am »
Mine was 10-11 hours (retrosigmoid) for a 3.5 cm AN. I wonder, if the duration has to do more with the type of surgery (middle fossa, retro, translab), or with the size of the tumor? or none of the above and it depends more on the stickiness/ease of removal?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

jsanders1379

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 08:20:39 pm »
Although I now seem to be unable to locate the post, I am sure someone posted earlier that their surgery took longer than expected because the surgeon found that the tumor was actually larger than it presented on the MRI- this has gotten me very worried about my upcoming GK if the MRIs can be that inaccurate? Does a patient typically have an MRI right before surgery, or could this have been an MRI done earlier????
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 02:55:27 am »
First time about 15 hours
Regrowth something like 4-5 hours.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

mk

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 08:47:37 am »
Although I now seem to be unable to locate the post, I am sure someone posted earlier that their surgery took longer than expected because the surgeon found that the tumor was actually larger than it presented on the MRI- this has gotten me very worried about my upcoming GK if the MRIs can be that inaccurate? Does a patient typically have an MRI right before surgery, or could this have been an MRI done earlier????

The discrepancies/underestimation in the size are related to the number of slices taken during the scan. Usually diagnostic MRIs tend to have less number of slices (because they are looking everywhere), so they may not reveal the true size of the tumor. This is certainly what happened in my case, where the size was underestimated in my diagnostic MRI.  Before GK there is very careful planning, with the MRI scan taken right before the treatment, while the frame is on, and  targeting exactly the tumor, so that it is much more accurate.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.